Page: 1

Hair Musical Numbers!?!

broadwaypunk06 Profile Photobroadwaypunk06 Profile Photo
broadwaypunk06
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Hair Musical Numbers!?!#1
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:31pm
Okay, so I know there are songs called DEAD END and HIPPIE LIFE. But where exactly to they fit in with ordering of the numbers. I'm just curious because I know they were dropped and/or added into the musical later on. Anyone know?
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#2
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:32pm
"Dead End" comes right after "Ain't Got No" and right before Sheila's entrance.

There is no dialogue, it seques directly to the song.

And "Hippie Life" is, I believe right after "Good Morning Starshine", but the production I was in didn't do it, but I remember it near the very end of the show.

Sometimes, people add it on as a curtain call instead, which is a mistake, becuase it is so sub-par to the original music written, and would spoil the feeling that "Flesh Failures" leaves you with.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
taboo123 Profile Phototaboo123 Profile Photo
taboo123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#2
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:42pm
HIPPIE LIFE is written as a curtain call song in the script.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#3
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:47pm
"Hippie Life" is a horrible song. And the lyrics are awful. But, yes, it is the curtain call music, but any director with any sense cuts it. I've never seen a production that kept it in...it's that dumb of a song.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
broadwaypunk06
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#4
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:49pm
Thank you all. Here is another question. Does anyone know where I can view the whole show either professional or ametuer? I live in a ****ty town that has no theater program anywhere and I REALLY wanna see this show. If not thanks for trying.
broadwaypunk06
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#5
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:49pm
I LOVE THAT SONG. It's my favorite song. Well ok not my favorite but its one of them!
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#6
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:52pm
well, for starters, if you want to see something like the official stage version, DO NOT watch the movie. I enjoy it on it's own terms, but it is completely different from the stage show.

I wish I could tell you where to go to see it, but I'm sure that there will be a community theatre or regional theatre doing it around your area somewhere, this being the 40th anniversary and all.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#7
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:53pm
I agree with Priest's statment about the song.
broadwaypunk06
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#8
Posted: 3/11/08 at 2:54pm
I hope so. And I've seen the movie and I love the stage version a whole deal greater! But thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#9
Posted: 3/11/08 at 3:24pm
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!

I've seen one production that included Dead End (after Ain't Got No) and another production that included Hippie Life (after Good Morning Starshine). Dead End is probably my favorite number in the show. The production I saw staged it simply and beautifully. It was a rather ingenious number in the show and fit well into the book. I was surprised it was ever cut. Hippie Life, however, is a so-so song that really adds nothing to the show, especially towards the end when they are describing "hippie life" after we just watched a couple of hours about hippie life. It's redundant and slows down the end of the show. If it were to be used at all, it would need to be in the first act, probably after Manchester England.

For a really different take on Hair (and a rather surprisingly brilliant one), try the 2001 Vienna recording (performed in English). It uses new modern quasi-techno orchestrations and the performances are fantastic, though the show does not seem to lose its spirit or essence, which is what makes it work. My favorite tracks are Dead End, The War (short instrumental), Black Boys/White Boys and Air. This recording also includes Hippie Life and an Aquarius remix. It's a must for any Hair fan.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 3/11/08 at 03:24 PM
HeyMrMusic Profile PhotoHeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#10
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:13pm
"Hippie Life" is a terrible song. It is the only reference anywhere in the show to the word "hippie." Would the Tribe really use that word? Also, the way it's written, it's supposed to be led by two Native Americans I believe. What? Terrible way to end the show. We rightfully cut it when I did the show.

~Steven
temms Profile Phototemms Profile Photo
temms
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#11
Posted: 3/11/08 at 7:08pm
The Tourist Lady does refer to the tribe as hippies. There's the dialogue exchange (from memory, so likely paraphrased):

TOURIST LADY: Are you - oh dear, I don't know why I'm so embarassed - are you a - 'hippie'?

CLAUDE: Is the Pope catholic?

TOURIST LADY: Oh, look Hubert! A whole haggle of hippies!

Agreed that "Hippie Life" is awful. I know some productions have put it late in the first act, right before "Frank Mills". I spoke to Galt MacDermot, the composer, about the song. Even he thinks it doesn't belong in the show. His remark was "Any song that begins with the word 'how' as an exclamation..." (as in "How I love my hippie life".) He pointed out that "Easy To Be Hard" also begins with the word 'how', but as a question. ("How can people be so heartless?") It was an esoteric conversation.
BroadwayBound062 Profile PhotoBroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#12
Posted: 3/11/08 at 7:14pm
I hate Hippies Life.....it doesn't work in the show
Genius lasts longer than beauty.
jspaeth87
Understudy
Understudy
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#13
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:16pm
when i did hair, our director put hippie life at the beginning of act 2.
to find productions of hair, just go to the website and click productions...
http://www.hairthemusical.com/productions.html
broadwaypunk06
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hair Musical Numbers!?!#14
Posted: 3/11/08 at 10:09pm
Where can I find the 2001 Vienna recording? Is it easy to find? If anyone has it could someone send it to me?? I would be greatful!