Cate Blanchett Cast in Sydney's A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett, who received two additional Oscar nominations this past season (for her performances in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" and "I'm Not There"), will star in a production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire in Australia.

Blanchett, Variety reports, will play Blanche DuBois in an August 2009 production at the Sydney Theatre Company. Blanchett and husband Andrew Upton became the new artistic directors of the company at the end of 2007.

Wow, how I wish I could see this!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/115736.html
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 12:47 AM
ashbash1990 Profile Photoashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Gha! Bring it to Broadway! (i know, its soon after the roundabout revival, but still...)
What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another reason to go to Sydney...
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Guess my original title was too vague.
I do wish she could bring this to Broadway, I missed it with Natasha Richardson but I can't see her being better than Blanchett.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
jewishboy Profile Photojewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have my vacation plans for the summer of 2009 now!
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 01:31 AM
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
who wants to take me along to sydney?
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:33am
Updated On: 5/7/09 at 01:33 AM
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jewishboy, care to take me along? You'd only have to pay for the ticket, hotel, and food. Ticket's on me re: Another Brilliant Leading Lady Cast In Another Brilliant Williams' Play
*Sigh* I can't believe I'm gonna miss this.
jewishboy Profile Photojewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well Ray, as of now I'm planning on swimming there and staying on someone's empty couch. So, if you feel like you're up to it then sure!
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hell, to see this, I might even join you for the swim.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I swam in high school!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Any buzz on who will play Stanley Kowalski?

Any chance that it might be Hugh Jackman? This current season, there was a strong buzz that Hugh was going to do a play for the Sydney Theatre Company which did not push through, but it seems he has been talking to both former artistic director Robin Nevyns ( sp?) and maybe Cate and her husband, the new co-artistic directors of STC.

If that happens...

rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jo,

I don't think it will be Hugh, but there maybe a chance he will turn up in War of The Roses for STC and Sydney Festival, Jan next year.

Ray.
With this and the War of the Roses, STC are looking to have a great season.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
LadyRosecoe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My favorite play. My favorite living actress. Sign me up, somewhere pleaaaaase
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, Rosscoe(au) --

I thought they have previously cast War of the Roses - is Cate also cast in that play? So, is there a chance of seeing both Cate and Hugh together onstage? Around January?

Although my dream casting for the two of them onstage is Streetcar Named Desire!

Please update when you have more news about War of the Roses and Streetcar. Thanks :)

Jo
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She will do a great job. I hope they bring her to Broadway.

I don't see Jackman doing the role. He's not masculine enough. Perhaps Russell Crowe?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She was at BAM in 2006 in Hedda Gabler. She was a treat to see.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
broadwaygal3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Jo, I knew you were going to suggest Hugh Jackman! To be honest, even though you and I know that he can do anything, I don't see him as Stanley.

I'm still hoping maybe he'll do Pal Joey, now that the Roundabout is producing it.

Cheryl
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Must... get... to... Aus... tralia...
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eric Bana would be a solid Stanley. I could see Frances O'Connor as Stella.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yay for Cate!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd like Hugh and Cate to work together as an acting team - onstage or onscreen. They almost did - in The Fountain, but Cate dropped out when she became pregnant. As Hugh has said that he has been talking to STC for a possible stage appearance in Sydney, and since the new plays announced include STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE albeit for the 2009 season, then the possibility is not too farfetched ( although Rosscoe says the buzz could be for War of the Roses instead -- which is also very likely, as HENRY V is Hugh's favourite Shakespearean play).

I think he could do justice to Stanley - he may not be brutishly ugly, but he is a fine actor and is very well-trained ( he was WAAPA's most outstanding student when he graduated - he was in the drama course and never trained for musical theatre). In his upcoming role in AUSTRALIA, he does play a "rough-hewn drover" ( ironically replacing Russell Crowe in the lead, after the latter's differences with the studio). Also, check him out as Wolverine -- he kills people, even the ones he love! It is called acting re: Another Brilliant Leading Lady Cast In Another Brilliant Williams' Play

Hey, don't associate his stage persona forever with The Boy from Oz re: Another Brilliant Leading Lady Cast In Another Brilliant Williams' Play
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:26 PM
Fan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
broadwaygal3 -

It seems to be a forgone conclusion that Christian Hoff is going to star in Pal Joey according to some in that thread on the MB (with Stockard Channing)- I don't think Hugh would be available anyway since that's right around the time he would be promoting "Australia" (which premieres in the US on Nov. 14) which I think will get a massive push since it seems to be one of those Oscar-worthy movies, plus who knows what else he would have going at the time.

And I agree with Jo on the acting information - she said it very well!
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:35 PM
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Blanchett was very lucky she got pregnant, THE FOUNTAIN was such an awful film.
gettinhep Profile Photogettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought she dropped out when Brad Pitt was no longer involved in The Fountain. You learn something new every day.
'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt