Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek

RyToast1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#1
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:19pm
So, someone I know was backstage at N2N Friday night, and he was talking to Brian d'Arcy James, and he said he's going to be playing Shrek.

I have no confirmation of this, so it could be heresay, but I just thought I'd put it out there.
alliez92092 Profile Photoalliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#2
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:18pm
Please no. I love you Brian, but just don't.
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#2
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:21pm
Yeah, Brian, please don't take a job originating a lead role in what will likely be a long-running show with a fresh score by one of Broadway's top composers.

Bad idea.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
alliez92092
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#3
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:28pm
It's not that Foster, I just think that Brian is able to do such better things than Shrek. It may have a great creative team, but that doesn't always make a great show. In my opinion, the source material isn't good and I just don't think it will do well. Besides, I prefer to see Brian doing edgier, more creative work in contrast to a mainstream show.
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#4
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:33pm
"In my opinion, the source material isn't good and I just don't think it will do well."

The source material is an Academy-award winning film that is one of the best reviewed films of the decade, and one of its highest grossing. Regardless of the quality of the piece, it's going to be a box office bonanza.
alliez92092
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#5
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:38pm
By do well, I mean quality.

Whatever, all just my opinion.
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#6
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:43pm
"It's not that Foster, I just think that Brian is able to do such better things than Shrek."

This show has MONTHS before it will be on Broadway - who knows how it will be. How can someone say he can do better things than Shrek when we don't even know how good (or bad) it will be? Sometimes the stage version is superior to the movie (and vice versa). That said, I can't see him as Shrek in full costume, which is why I think this will be a very interesting casting choice if it is true. For example, I'm curious as to how he'll sound doing the Shrek accent.

Also, I see what you're saying about him doing edgier work, but what is wrong with doing a mainstream show? It's always nice to have some variety on your resumé.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 02:43 PM
Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#7
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:44pm
The musical is also not simply based on the movie, but also the source material. Which - actually is - in your words - edgy.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
alliez92092
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#8
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:45pm
I don't know, maybe it's just that I'm a bit close minded to the idea of Brian doing something else with the chance of Next to Normal transferring. I think if Next to Normal wasn't in the equation, I wouldn't care.

I know I sound incredibly juvenile and like I'm contradicting myself, whatever. We all have our moments.
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#9
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:48pm
All I'm going to say about this is the same thing I said about Aaron with Catch Me if You Can:

TOTALLY cool if he wants to do it, but if it comes down to choosing between Shrek and Next to Normal (still very much hoping NtN will get a production next year)? Brian, PICK NtN!!! For the love of god, PICK NtN!!! lol

but no, as long as it wouldn't interfear with NtN, that would be cool to see him do Shrek re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek I just get really worried, hearing about all these things the NtN cast is signing up to do, because if it gets another production and they're not a part of it, I will NOT be a happy camper. Granted I totally understand why they would want to get a move on and start looking for other projects, because practically speaking it would be really silly, if they were offered other roles, not to take them just because there's a CHANCE NtN will be coming back. But just.. I'm really, REALLY praying that they're all commited enough to the piece that they'd choose it over other projects if it came down to that.
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 02:48 PM
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#10
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:49pm
I haven't been really keeping up with Next to Normal, but if it transfers, maybe he could do both projects, as long as the running dates of each show are as far apart from one another that they allow him enough room for both projects.

I think this musical can be really interesting, and I can't wait to see the Fiona/bird scene with Sutton Foster!
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
commasplice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#11
Posted: 3/9/08 at 2:56pm
When I saw the thread title, the resulting mental image made me laugh so hard I nearly asphyxiated.

All that aside, though, I can actually see him being very good in the part, and Brian singing a Tesori score? Yes please.

I guess we'll see what happens!
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#12
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:18pm
As much as I loved Next to Normal and Brian D'Arcy James in it, he'd be a fool to choose it over Shrek.
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#13
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:26pm
As much as I loved Next to Normal and Brian D'Arcy James in it, he'd be a fool to choose it over Shrek.

Logically, yes, this is probably true. But come on: even if Shrek ends up being really good, Next to Normal has the potential to be a completely innavative, groundbreaking new musical! Shrek would be a legitimately good but commercial musical at BEST. So.. I just pray that he'd take the un-practical route in this case and choose integrity over the chance of financial success. (Again, same with Aaron and Catch Me if You Can)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 03:26 PM
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#14
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:29pm
It's not like N2N couldn't be recast. The material would still be presented to a wide audience if the show makes it to Broadway. I do understand that many people find the cast perfect as it is, but it is still entirely possible to present the material just as well with different people.
MovieGuy1031 Profile PhotoMovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#15
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:29pm
I'm QUITE ecstatic for Brian if it's true.

I still wish d'Arcy James as Dr. Frankenstein in Young Frank had panned out, but with the way that show is turning out, maybe it'll be a godsend that he didn't get the opportunity - now he can BE a big green monster instead of MAKING a big green monster.

Congrats!
"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#16
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:32pm
It's not like N2N couldn't be recast. The material would still be presented to a wide audience if the show makes it to Broadway. I do understand that many people find the cast perfect as it is, but it is still entirely possible to present the material just as well with different people.

Oh, absolutely. I just don't WANT it to be. haha. I mean, I'd follow the show no matter what because the material is so good, but. Let's just say it's going to take a LOT for anyone other than Alice, Brian, and Aaron to win me over in those respective roles. I'd try and go in with an open mind- after all,there was a time when I thought no one could play Diana but Amy Spanger, and we all know how that turned out- but it would be very very hard.
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 03:32 PM
dry2olives Profile Photodry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#17
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:32pm
Though Brian d'Arcy James is an accomplished Broadway actor/singer, at this point of his career he would still get passed over for many jobs in favor of a better known name. Taking the lead role in a high-profile musical could help him become a bankable star and help his career in the long run. Sounds like a good opportunity.
B3TA07 Profile PhotoB3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#18
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:38pm
This thread is like reading a novel-version of "Air Bud." Completely juvenile, naive, stupid, and also just a little pathetic in its attempt to create an overwhelming "pro-underdog" stance.
-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 03:38 PM
WesternSky2 Profile PhotoWesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#19
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:55pm
Of course I'd love to see Brian stay with N2N if it were to transfer next season, but as far as his career goes - Shrek is the best option. It's about time this insanely talented man got his due. This could really pick things up for him. I wish him all the best. He deserves it.
dramarama2 Profile Photodramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#20
Posted: 3/9/08 at 4:27pm
Um, can we please beg stars not to do the show after we know if it is good or not?

Chances are the Score & Book are good, but Jason Moore, hmmmmm, it could go either way.
A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.
acrocksyo Profile Photoacrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#21
Posted: 3/9/08 at 4:55pm
Oh heaven forbid a talented actor get the chance to create a role! The mountains shall tumble into the sea! Be happy for him if this rumor is true, don't discourage an actor from getting a job. Yeesh!
http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like
WickedForever2 Profile PhotoWickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#22
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:24pm
Oh man, there goes a load of cash this fall when it's in Seattle... Sutton and Brian?! Sweet.
jordangirl Profile Photojordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#23
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:27pm
You mean I might actually have to see this? UGH.
Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brian d'Arcy James=Shrek#24
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:05pm
How wonderful for Brian!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."