read this please

rowlinvale2 Profile Photorowlinvale2 Profile Photo
rowlinvale2
Stand-by
Stand-by
read this please#1
Posted: 3/7/08 at 4:36pm
read this please

PLEASE DO THIS. if you do one good thing today, let this be it.
it takes 5 SECONDS to help make a difference.
this is absolutely HORRIFYING

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THIS PETITION

As it stands today, the Senate is considering a $4 billion cut from the president's 2009 international affairs budget. What's most shocking is that this would represent a cut of $1 billion from this year's funding, a huge loss at a time when we are poised to do so much to combat extreme poverty and global disease. Slashing this funding would be simply devastating to people like those surviving HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis thanks in part to the help America provides.

Thankfully, we're not the only ones who've noticed the problem, and Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Gordon Smith (R-OR) have introduced an amendment to restore $2.6 billion to the international affairs budget, to match the House of Representatives funding level.

Here is where we come in. We only have one week to get the majority of the Senate to support this effort. It's up to us to take action and make sure that our senators pass a budget that reflects our values. So we're launching a petition asking the Senate to support this amendment:

You can add your name here:
ONE.org PETITION

Je veux vous frapper avec un poisson.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#2
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:22am
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#2
Posted: 3/9/08 at 5:40am
LizzieCurry, I don't care if you're man, woman, black, white, neither, skinny, fat, tall, short, or WHATEVER. If I knew who you were and found you on the street, I would do whatever perverted things you wanted without a moment's consideration.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#3
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:17am
I've always had a crush on LizzieCurry.

She's one hot snarky bitch.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#4
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:31am
Great link, Lizzy.

And I absolutely LOVE the word "slacktivism." As hard as it may be for some passionate people to read that simply clicking a link for a cure, or adding their name to an email that will abolish all the horrors of the world does absolutely nothing, they need to read it.

Slacktivists of the world, take note.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#5
Posted: 3/9/08 at 1:26pm
I thrive on that sort of post from Lizzie! Love it.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#6
Posted: 3/9/08 at 1:45pm
I'm glad the Snopes gods addressed this issue - it's never made sense to me that an online petition or clicking a link would do any good anywhere. If some company or organization is going to donate money, why are they waiting for people to click a link or play an online game? Seems kind of stupid to me. Just donate and shut up about it.

And as far as online petitions, where do people think those actually go? What do they think they actually do?
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: read this please#7
Posted: 3/9/08 at 3:51pm
It's clearly the generation who considers writing a letter or making a phone call far too much effort.

Slacktivists. Perfect.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#8
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:03pm
Lizzie for Pope!

Or whoever that in chargy person is.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#9
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:07pm
EXACTLY Rath! I hate the whole "click here to change the world" thing.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#10
Posted: 3/9/08 at 9:20pm
Well, as much as some internet petitions are not real or worthless, some of them do fulfill their goal. My brother had a petition last year to protect a piece of land in Costa Rica that is being overdeveloped - illegally at that - and the online petition, signed by people from all over the world - was delivered to the President who eventually signed the papers to protect the land. In no doubt having the support from the world community had an effect in that instance.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: read this please#11
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:29pm
Interesting, DayDreamer.

Good for Costa Rica, but I'm not sure I want world wide internet opinion polls effecting legislation in the US.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: read this please#12
Posted: 3/10/08 at 2:39pm
Bravo Lizzie!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956