Page: 1

"Peter Grimes" at the Met

munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Peter Grimes" at the Met#1
Posted: 3/7/08 at 3:32pm
Has anyone here seen this yet? I'm seeing it this evening, and I'm just looking for some opinions.

I read the reviews, but I've yet to get feedback from anyone else.

Thanks.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#2
Posted: 3/7/08 at 3:33pm
I want to see this so badly. I'm curious to hear what you think!
A work of art is an invitation to love.
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#2
Posted: 3/7/08 at 3:49pm
I loved the production: very clean, dark and evocative. Anthony Dean Griffey and Patricia Racette sing beautifully.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#3
Posted: 3/7/08 at 3:54pm
Great, thanks AC.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#4
Posted: 3/8/08 at 9:31am
I always liked him on "Mission: Impossible."
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#5
Posted: 3/8/08 at 10:02am
I have a ticket for March 24th. I saw John Vickers years ago, and that is, to put it simply, a hard act to follow. His voice and appearance were so ideal for Grimes. I especially remember the effect that they used in the old production - during Grimes monologue toward the end of the opera, all of the orchestra lights were turned off, so that the auditorium was completely black except for the dimly lit stage. I sat in the Balcony then, and it was like looking down into a huge black pit. Very strange and disorienting. I am a Doyle fan, so I am expecting a lot from this. Unfortunately, I understand that it is not selling well - people do like their Bohemes.
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#6
Posted: 3/8/08 at 10:12am
I loved that effect in the old production too. Vickers stood on an empty stage with just one light shooting across from the side and a ton of fog rolling across the stage. Watching it was very disorienting and with Vickers mad scene beautifully sung and acted, it made you feel the characters pain and emptiness, and it was heart breaking.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#7
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:08am
people do like their Bohemes

Ah, repertoire.
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#8
Posted: 3/8/08 at 7:12pm
Speaking of repertoire, your should see my MET subscription for next year. Seven operas and three of them are Boheme, Butterfly and Trovatore. I have never had to trade so much of a subscription in one season! It's not that I don't like the old standards; it's the fact that I had Boheme and Butterfly on my subscription THIS season, too. Variety is the spice of life, MET guys.
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#9
Posted: 3/8/08 at 8:11pm
What else are you seeing this season, keene?

I'm anxiously anticipating SATYAGRAHA.
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#10
Posted: 3/8/08 at 8:32pm
I thought they were working on revamping the Met and bringing in more new shows. Or was that City Opera? I don't remember.

My friend at City Opera said that they all used to groan backstage at the start of the season "Carmen...an opera by George F-ing Bizet..."

I do want to see Grimes, though. I'm a fan of the music and Doyle.
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
Updated On: 3/8/08 at 08:32 PM
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#11
Posted: 3/8/08 at 8:41pm
The fact is, contemporary works do not sell well at the Met. From what I hear (from people I know that work there,) longtime subscribers would rather see LA TRAVIATA and LA BOHEME for the 56th time than experience something new.

I can't imagine that SATYAGRAHA will be received well by the big opera buffs.

I enjoyed PETER GRIMES. I thought it was a great production. My only complaint really, would be the set. It was my first time ever seeing GRIMES, and I can't say that I would rush back to see another production of it.
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#12
Posted: 3/8/08 at 8:47pm
I agree with you about that. I don't have a problem with the same shows again and again, if they would just freshen them up a bit. The last Carmen I saw was such a disappointment.

I'm surprised about the set - from the pictures, they looked beautiful. But you can only tell so much by those.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#13
Posted: 3/8/08 at 9:06pm
I know people who subscribe to get the tickets for the standard fare and use them as gifts. I mean it is a great way to get tickets to the Bohems and Carmens that might otherwise be hard to come by. But people who do not normally go to the opera LOVE to receive tickets to THOSE productions.
PEACE.
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#14
Posted: 3/8/08 at 10:54pm
Keep the BUTTERFLYs coming, so long as Patricia Racette is singing Cio-Cio San. And next season's TRAVIATA has a great Violetta: Anja Harteros, who has made a wonderful Donna Anna and Countess Almaviva at the Met.

I'm really looking forward to LA DAMNATION DE FAUST next season (first time the Met has staged it in a full production in 100 years) and the DOCTOR ATOMIC house premiere, and the Daniel Barenboim piano recital. The standard rep revivals look pretty dull, with the exceptions of SALOME and GIOCONDA.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#15
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:07pm
I am thrilled about FAUST.
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#16
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:08pm
To be fair, I do have the DAMNATION OF FAUST and SALOME on my subscription. I will probably try to trade the unwanted tickets for THAIS (love this old chestnut and the cast is Fleming and Hampson - ideal!), SONNAMBULA (have never seen it and with Juan Diego Florez, it is not to be missed), ONEGIN and GIOVANNI. I think I read somewhere that next season was actually contracted for by former general manager Volpe, so I can't blame Gelb for this disaster. And with ticket prices seemingly holding steady at the MET, I guess I really should be grateful.
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#17
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:01am
Keen, did you notice that they did away with instant exchanges this year? I was disappointed; my subscription stuck me with a poorly cast GIOVANNI and I wanted to swap it for a stronger one. But now I have to wait a few months...it's too bad. Instant exchanges were so convenient.
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#18
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:12pm
AC - not only did they do away with online exchanges, they are charging $5 per swap. So it will cost me/you to change a subscription around.

AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Peter Grimes' at the Met#19
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:30pm
They're charging for swaps now? That's terrible. Luckily, that GIOVANNI is the only opera on my subscription that I'm not happy with.