Page: 1

Ted Kennedy, Superdelegate, Obama Supporter

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Even though he endorsed Barack Obama, should Ted Kennedy be forced to cast his vote for Hillary Clinton, since she won the popular vote and the primary of the people of Massachusetts.

Yea or nay?
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the point of the superdelegates was to keep the party from rushing headlong into a horrible mistake, wasn't it? if they are merely to rubber stamp the popular vote why even have them?

i would suggest that teddy vote his conscience. ok, just kidding, he should vote for whoever he wants. that's what makes them "super".
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And I predict no Obama supporter will respond to this thread.

The only other response will be from Roxy or Goth, referencing Chappaquiddick.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
what are you driving at pj?

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
By definition, isn't he free to cast his vote for whomever he pleases?

I live in NJ, and in the mornings I watch a NJ news channel. This morning, they had a report on how disillusioned young NJ Dems were with their party's process. They were interviewing kids on Rutgers campus who had voted for the first time, and they were all discouraged about the process. They followed up with an interview of a superdelegate from NJ, whose comment was (paraphrasing) - 'The people have spoken, and they can't make up their mind, so it's up to us'.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
An even more interesting question, what happens if Clinton catches Obama on the popular vote, but still trails in the delegate court - what is the will of the people then?

It is almost impossible for her to catch him on delegates, but not on the popular vote, where they are very close - I wonder how many of those who claim that they want to respect the will of the people will continue to say that if she in fact leads in the actual votes counted?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ywiw, that is exactly why she must drop out now before the people are able to speak anymore.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know you are loving this papa - but I still think that the idea of McBush will be enough to unify the party at the end.

Pip Profile PhotoPip Profile Photo
Pip
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am an Obama supporter and, like it or not, the Democratic Party felt the need to create a class of delegates that was "above" the will of the people. It sucks and smacks of old-time "boss" politics, but so be it. Consequently, each super delegate gets to make their decisions based on whatever sways them; pressure from either campaign, pressure from members of their own race, a personal decision that "so goes the state; so goes me", or none of the above. If Ted Kennedy wants to vote for Obama, being above the voters, he can do so. If he wants to switch to Clinton for some reason, he can do so. It seems a little late to get ethical about how they make those decisions...since ethics didn't seem to be part of the decision to have super delegates in the first place.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree that superdelegates should vote for who they want.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#10
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:12am
Super Delegates can vote for anyone they want. That's what makes them "super."
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#11
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:23am
"The only other response will be from Roxy or Goth, referencing Chappaquiddick."

Actually, I was going to point out the irony of this situation. The superman delegates were created because the Democratic Party wanted to block Ted Kennedy from nomination. But that was back when the party had morals and didn't want to elect an alcoholic murderer.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/6/08 at 11:23 AM
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#12
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:25am
we'll just leave that to your party goth.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#13
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:26am
Right. We'll just settle for an alcoholic retard as president.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#14
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:49am
"alcoholic murderer"

You mean George W. Bush?
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#15
Posted: 3/6/08 at 11:58am
Really Goth? The SuperDelegates were created in response to George McGovern's disastrous loss to Richard Nixon and have never influenced the turnout of any Democratic nomination. Never. Teddy Kennedy has only once sought the nomination once and received substantial support from within the Democratic party. You lack of knowledge about American Politics no doubt partially explains your misguided beliefs.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#16
Posted: 3/6/08 at 12:14pm
actually, joe, the supes as we know them came into being in '82 and actually played a role in '84.

the '68 changes were the exact opposite of the supes who came into being after 1980 to restore some power to the party bosses and poltical hacks that really control the democrats.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#17
Posted: 3/6/08 at 12:23pm
As I have stated several times, I think the superdelegates can and should choose who they think is best for the party. (I just think if it goes against the popular vote then it will be a net negative for the person they choose.)

To YWIW's question: I am 100% behind the popular vote winner. If that is Clinton, I would prefer she is the nominee.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
uncle ted, superdrinker, bammy cheerleader#18
Posted: 3/6/08 at 12:28pm
Wow- I volunteered for Mondale and didn't know that- Thanks for the lesson Papa. But, I should point out, that The "Supers" didn't change the outcome- Mondale was already way ahead in pledged delegates.
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SP - that is where I am heading as well.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
40 is way ahead, joe?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
papa you had me worried- that election was such a painful memory I thought I'd blocked it out. I had to Google it to make sure.

He was 40 shy of the nomination, but had 1564 delegates to Hart's 941. Jackson had some too but I can't find out how many.