Page: 1

Has anyone ever flown Northwest Airlines before?

balletandbroadway
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I'm flying to DC tomorrow on Northwest. It's my first time flying with them, so I have a few questions for anyone who would know the answer!

1) Are they normally pretty good about having flights leave on time?
2) I have a layover. Are they pretty good at transferring luggage without losing it?

Thanks to all who answer :)
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."-- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
DRSisLove Profile PhotoDRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To be honest, its not the airline that has the problems, its the airport. That being said, I've flown Northwest a few times before, and its been fine. Just like every other airline.
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Check out this website - you can enter in your specific flight numbers and see how they have performed historically. Of course, weather is always a wild card.

http://www.flightstats.com

rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's been over ten years since i last flew them and apart from getting a banana nut muffin on every flight, they seemed to be o.k
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
cmleidi
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
they're about as reliable as other airlines, but I've never had a delayed flight from them and I've actually been early on all my trips overseas.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I did once a few years ago. It was fine.
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just flew NWA about 3 weeks ago, actually.

Almost NO leg room in the seats...
Not much to do in their terminals...

...but a great deal! Saved me 150 dollars which I would have spent on American! Not bad. :)
"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
vbplayer Profile Photovbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Northwest (as stated)is as reliable as any other airline. If you are concerned about your connection time, book a longer layover at the connection instead of booking the "published" connection flights. The carrier always posts the minimum connection time at an airport regardless of the on-time performance of the specific airline or flight. Your fare will remain the same as long as your layover is within the airlines layover time limitation. (They have tons of rules that the public is unaware of)

PM me if you need more details.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's just a hair better than Southwest if that tells you anything--I hate flying both of them.
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm from Michigan, so I used to almost always fly Northwest (they do heavy traffic out of Detroit Metro). It's just like every other airline.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Southwest is the best- in terms of safety and on-time performance actually.

My tips (as a former very frequent flyer);

1) Fly on Tuesday. Lowest traffic, emptiest planes.
2) Try whenever possible to be the first leg of the plane's trip. It's more likely to be on time. If a plane comes from Tampa into O'Hare then on to Reno, there are a lot more chances it will hit a storm, have engine trouble or get behind schedule for some reason.
3) Bring a book- because delays do happen and when they do you might as well sit and relax and read your book.
4) Be nice to your flight attendents no matter what. It's not their fault.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
they suck. I was supposed to be on a non-stop deom detroit to San Fran.....a non-stop that ended up going from Detroit to DC, then to Dallas, then they switched us to American from Dallas to SFO.......

After that I did not fly them for 5 years, until this past year, and they were fine. (It was afree ticket)
They are my least favorite airline

Theya re also the airline that had the issue about three years ago where people were not allowed off the planes due to snow (so they said) and people were stuck on the planes on the tarmac for hours......an ungodly amount of hours, ran out of food, water, and toilets plugged up.

From DTE to New York, you are probably fine, but for anything longer I would not fly them.

Luggagewise they were fine
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I fly them often, mostly because it's usually the cheapest between Seattle and DC, and I can use the miles on Continental when I go home.

I usually don't mind them on local flights. Ok service, nothing outstanding. You won't get any perks on the flight, that's for sure. They've never lost any luggage - unlike United, which always seems to lose my luggage and therefore I don't fly them.

And by now you've left an it doesn't matter any more.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Day, very true about United and luggage, which is why we're only doing carry-on next month to Europe.......frankly few American carriers are any good anymore.....certainly not like the old days.

But many European ones still know the meaning of service. We flew Malev from Krakow to Budapest tw years ago, maybe an hour flight......and in coach got a hot meal, treated like royalty....it was like the old days.

We're flying a bunch of different carriers within Europe this year, which we've never flown, British Midlands, Air Europa, and SAS....should be interesting.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It amazed me that in the city-hopper flight between Frankfurt and London we got a warm breakfast meal (served and picked-up), and yet on the recent flight to CR it took them 1 hour to SERVE a cold meal and a beverage. People at the front were getting up to get rid of their garbage and they were not even halfway down the aisle serving.
Celebrate Life

Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
can't you fly SEA to Baltimore pretty cheap on Alaska?
Shawk Profile PhotoShawk Profile Photo
Shawk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
British Midlands is nice-- good attention to detail about special meals, very nice flight attendants, good leg-room and cozy blankets.
'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have flown Midlands and SAS, both, FABU
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What you save flying to BWI you spend taking a cab or the train. I prefer to pay a touch more, fly into DCA and take the subway to my sister's place.

eta: Alaska is not usually the cheapest alternative.
Celebrate Life

Updated On: 3/6/08 at 01:41 PM
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My experience with Northwest has always been positive.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"And by now you've left an it doesn't matter any more."

That made me chuckle--thanks Day!
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 3/6/08 at 02:35 PM
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cary Grant and Leo G. Carroll had no problem with Northwest, getting to Rapid City.