a bi-partisan call for the voters of fl and mi to be heard

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a republican and a democrat working together.
who'da thunk it?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They should go do something constructive. Rules are rules. You wanna break them? Pay the consequences. Otherwise, why bother having any rules? It's not as if they didn't know what would happen. Anyway, I say F - Florida. When it comes to voting, they're a hell of a lot more trouble than they are worth.
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 05:07 PM
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As a Michigan resident, I hope that MI and FL are NOT allowed delegates.

Michigan residents knew that we weren't going to get any delegates, so most people didn't vote. Also, Obama wasn't even on the ballot. So while Clinton may have "won", it's only because she didn't have any major opponents. Many Michigan democrats voted on the Republican ballot for Romney to win, just so that it would cause further division within the Republican party (although that didn't work out nearly as well as people had speculated it might). If Clinton gets a boost from delegates in Michigan, it won't have been a fair fight, in my opinion.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
they're not asking for the results of those primaries to be ratified. they're asking for the people of their states to have a voice in a primary process that frankly needs all the help it can get at this point to choose a nominee. there was even an idea i heard floated that the florida legislature would go halfsies on a re-vote with the dnc. in that state up north, they're gonna need money from somewhere because they can barely afford to keep paying the state workers at all.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"DNC Chairman Howard Dean issued a statement Wednesday that seemed to leave the matter for the states to resolve.

Dean said Michigan and Florida have two options: either submit a new plan for a process for choosing their convention delegates, or appeal to the Convention Credentials Committee, which resolves issues about the seating of delegates.

"The Democratic Nominee will be determined in accordance with party rules, and out of respect for the presidential campaigns and the states that did not violate party rules, we are not going to change the rules in the middle of the game," he said."

The full story
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yay for the people of Florida and Michigan!
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope this happens. If not, go ahead and call Fl/MI for McCain.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah! Eff Florida! It's not like they are a major swing state.

That's the ONLY reason, ff? Because it's quite likely she would have won Michigan with his and Edward's names on the ballot. And she won Florida handily with record Dem voter turnout.

But, I agree--let them revote and let's DO include all Americans in this process. And I am not saying this because I know Hillary will beat him in these states. I'm saying this because I believe in fair elections.
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So what, exactly, was unfair about what happened in Florida and Michigan? Do rules matter or not? Because, if you break the rules on this one, then you open the door to breaking all the rules. Just what Florida (and America) needs. They manage to screw-up voting, every chance they get. What's up with that? Sad and sorry attention seekers.
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To answer your question - the Florida Democrats did not screw up, the Florida Republicans did. Primary dates are set by the state legislature - which in Florida's case - is controlled by Republicans. The DNC is punishing the democrats in Florida for something they had no control of.

It looks like it will be a huge mess. Florida would be willing to have another primary but won't pay for it. The state is already cutting back services and the republican run state will never pay for another democratic primary. The DNC will not pay for it either. Now the state is threatening to remove the name of whoever the Democratic nominee is from the presidential ballot in Florida if this matter is not settled in a satifactory way. Hopefully something will be worked out.

Howard Dean has screwed this up royally. He needs to fix it.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
Updated On: 3/6/08 at 06:28 AM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What a mess. But the people of Florida should not be penalized.

And what's so wrong with a revote? Are people afraid the result will be the same? If it is, isn't that only fair?
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Re-voting is absolutely the answer, it should be done.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If anything, I should be nervous that the tide has turned to Obama there. Right? Let's find out.
Pip Profile PhotoPip Profile Photo
Pip
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I live in Michigan and was very disappointed that the "bigwigs" at the state level of the Democratic Party screwed our primary up so royally. I'm an Obama supporter (I'm from Illinois...)and had no opportunity to vote for him so I consider the "results" of the Michigan primary to be purely a lesson in how to embarrass ourselves and waste money. I heard on NPR this morning that they are considering some kind of online voting to keep down the cost of a make-up primary so maybe it will happen.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
now i think that re-voting is the answer as well, but let's not pretend it's as simple as opening up the firehouse, inviting folks down and handing out scraps of paper for people to write their choice and drop in a hat. there's millions of ballots that must be printed, diebold must be told who is going to win, poll workers must be organized, arrangements must be made for overseas civilian and military voters, this is no small undertaking and will cost millions and take a substantial bit of time to organize.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There should absolutely be some sort of revote. Given the economic implications, I don't know if caucuses are 'cheaper' than primaries, so I don't know if that might be a solution. It makes no sense to deny the voters in these states their voice in the nomination process, but it makes even less sense to base anything on the votes that were already held.

I have one question: why would the DNC 'punish' these states for moving up their primaries? NJ moved up their primary this year. I would think it is in the best interest of the voters in these states to have their primaries sooner rather than later. For example, this year the PA primary is crucial on the Dem side because the race is so close, but in most cases (as in the Reps this year) it's irrelevant because it's so late.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would whole-heartedly support a re-vote.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
thank goodness you're not half-heartedly doing so or i would give you a severe tongue bath - lashing, yeah, uh, lashing.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, it's better for both of us if I go into it whore-heartedly... whole-heartedly. Yeah.
Bluemoon Profile PhotoBluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dean has come up with a plan. Just don't ask him to pay for it.

You can try, but I no be helpin'.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe the DNC and the states should split costs.

Does he want to lose Florida and Michigan for the Dems by pissing the people of those states off? He's probably doing what's right regarding thr rules--but is it smart?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think he should stick to his guns and tell the states that it's their problem. in fact, he should bar them from having any delegates for the next 2 presidential elections.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Since the two Dem candidates can't seem to be able to get out of the way of millions, why don't they pay for it? The only fair solution, imo.
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I donated money to either candidate I surely would not want them spending it on any do-overs.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"