Page: 1

THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.

Flippancy Profile PhotoFlippancy Profile Photo
Flippancy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#1
Posted: 3/3/08 at 9:24am
Saw this over the weekend. Not because I'm a great fan of Philippa Gregory's novel (I think they're a little treacly and not historically accurate), but because I like Tudor history.

Meh. It was okay, I guess. Well, not really. But kinda. Great costumes, though.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#2
Posted: 3/3/08 at 9:37am
Anne of the Thousand Days was on cable yesterday. How does The Other Boleyn Girl compare to that? I am also a fan of all things Tudor; when I was in England I made a day trip to Hamden Court Palace. It was well worth the trip.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Flippancy Profile PhotoFlippancy Profile Photo
Flippancy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#2
Posted: 3/3/08 at 9:43am
I think ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS is better. TOBG was... hard to describe, but I guess it's a little too soap opera-ish (even though the situation is definitely soap opera-ish).
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#3
Posted: 3/3/08 at 10:30am
er, it's Hampton Court........and I am looking forward to this if only for the costumes......haven't read the book.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
xoangel2789xo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#4
Posted: 3/4/08 at 12:19am
hm...I saw it because I enjoyed the book and am just into the whole tudor history thing.

Didn't think the movie was terrible, but I wasn't crazy about it either.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#5
Posted: 3/4/08 at 12:23am
A movie with this kind of pedigree that is released in February...well, that usually doesn't bode well for the quality of the film. So I'm not surprised.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#6
Posted: 3/4/08 at 12:38am
Meh indeed. I saw The Other Boelyn Girl because I lost at Rock Paper Scissors. I wanted to see Penelope.

We've seen these characters from these actors before, and I thought it was overacted. The only actor I liked was Kristin Scott Thomas who played the mom.

The dialogue was just..oy.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL. Meh.#7
Posted: 3/4/08 at 12:57am
StickToPriest, you're completely right.
VANTAGE POINTS and this film have been released on February for a reason. I don't think studios start releasing okay films until April or so.
I'll rent this because I love Natalie Portman.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"