Page: 1

Paradise Park

Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Paradise Park#1
Posted: 3/1/08 at 6:49pm
Ranks with Elvis People (yep, I'm proud to say I saw it) as one of the worst plays ever written. Charles Mee, what happened, man?

A torturous 2 hours of "theater." Innovative production, fine cast. $20 was too much.
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Paradise Park#2
Posted: 3/2/08 at 10:57am
I went last night and agree with every word you said. It's a plotless, faux-absurdist nightmare of a "show". Some very committed acting by a cast that features some of New York's best cannot save it. I counted about thirty walkouts during the two-hour, intermissionless production; if I wasn't sitting smack in the middle of a long row, I might have fled myself.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
RoseStopnikCooks Profile PhotoRoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Paradise Park#2
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:23pm
RoseStopnikCooks Profile PhotoRoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Paradise Park#3
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:25pm
I completely disagree. I found the production to be a marvelous, beautiful, two-hour rollercoaster ride of emotions. Anyone who has a familial dysfunction similar to that of the Veanne Cox character's would agree that something hits home pretty strongly. The acting is quite breathtaking and the world the director and set designer has created rings as a pretty sterile mental ward where its patients take over, living their lives to full enjoyment and just finally letting themselves LIVE.

But, to each his own. People will either love this or hate this.