Page: 1

Conjunctivitis? Anyone?

Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#1
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:27pm
My little sore throat grew into a great big monster sore throat accompanied by a sinus infection and bad cough. The doctor's offices (I called 2) were closed through the long weekend and the earliest appointment I could get is 10:45 tomorrow.

Besides all those fun things making my life miserable, I now believe I have conjunctivitis. My left eye is too gross for words. It's burning, itching, watery, feels like it's full of sand, the formerly white parts are red and there's this totally gross yellow 'stuff' massing in the corner. (I've used a tissue to clean it out but it just keeps coming back.) I believe these are all signs of conjunctivitis. Does anyone know if there is any kind of safe solution I can use in it to help ease it until tomorrow? I've never had this before!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#2
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:34pm
no thanks.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#3
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:37pm
Doodle beat me to it.

I was gonna say, "I'll pass".
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#4
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:48pm
God.... when it rains it pours!!!! Thats a lot to deal with at 1 time!!!! I would say just keep washing your eye out with eyedrops and try not to touch it. As for the sore throat try gargaling warm salt water...... that sometimes helps
Updated On: 2/19/08 at 03:48 PM
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#5
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:56pm
I've been checking on line and apparently it does show up from time to time with viral infections - like colds and flu. (Of course I know I don't have the flu. I HAD THE SHOT!)
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#6
Posted: 2/19/08 at 4:01pm
Didnt the doctor's office give you any advice? I'd get an md on the phone...dont be askin a bunch of theater folk!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#7
Posted: 2/19/08 at 4:11pm
Sounds like the clap to me. Who was it Mamie? We're not going to judge you.

It was tazber, wasn't it? I KNEW IT!
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#8
"(Of course I know I don't have the flu. I HAD THE SHOT!)"

My doctors have told me that the flu shot will only works with one strian of the flu(usually the most common kind).... so there may be another strain of the flu( less common kind) that you may have.
I would suggest caling a nurse line of some sorts or visiting the ER if it gets too bad
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#9
ouch...hope u r feelin' better soon.
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#10
Posted: 2/19/08 at 4:14pm
Unfortunately the flu shot is apparently only covering 40% of the flu strains out there this year. Oh, well...

Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#11
Posted: 2/19/08 at 5:14pm
I know. I had my tongue in my sore cheek when I said that. I think Smithsonian magazine had an article a few years ago about rhino viruses and they said there are over 90,000 different ones out there. You either have to actually have had the infection (thus developing your own antibodies) or been vaccinated for all 90,000 before you're protected. It's a crap shoot.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
erikaamato
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#12
Posted: 2/19/08 at 5:32pm
So sorry about your poor health right now! Hope you feel better soon!

And be super careful when dealing with/touching that eye...conjunctivitis is very contagious, and you really don't want the infection to spread to the other eye. Wash your hands every single time you even get near the icky one.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#13
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:07pm
Yes - I know. All this garbage is coming at an awful time. My niece (OK - she's my favorite and I KNOW I'm not supposed to have a favorite but I do, so there.) ANYWAY, she's expecting a baby next month and her sister is having a baby shower for her this weekend and her mom is having another one next week. I've been crocheting like mad, making blankets and sweaters and booties and bonnets, etc. and now I don't feel safe in giving her any of them. I know I can't attend the showers but I'm thinking that all these baby things will have to be laundered in hot water and detergent before I give them to her. re: Conjunctivitis?  Anyone?
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Silbee
Understudy
Understudy
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#14
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:01pm
You will need an antibiotic eye cream for the conjuntivitus asap.

A little salt in warm water works wonders. Two cotton wool pads (one for each eye) soaked in the solution, squeeze out all excess moisture, and carefully wipe from inside to outside of each closed eye in one pass.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#15
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:17pm
Thank you Silbee. I'll try that. I have a feeling it's going to be a loooooonnnggg night. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow - if I live that long.

Right now I'm watching the beautiful Alan Bates and the equally beautiful Oliver Reed wrestling naked in front a fire place in an old English country manor house. I'm feeling better already! (I vote for going back to the way the Greeks did the original Olympics.)
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#16
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:18pm
re: Conjunctivitis?  Anyone?
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#17
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:31pm
Thank you darlin'. (And I love your sig!)
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#18
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:40pm
If you live near a CVS Minute Clinic, they are very good in cases like this. In fact, they treated me for conjunctivitis about a year ago.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
another_reprise Profile Photoanother_reprise Profile Photo
another_reprise
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#19
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:42pm
I had conjunctivitis like whoa in both of my eyes a few years ago. Putting two slices of cucumbers over my eyes was one of the few things that helped.
Does the sun really rise in the east?
Does the earth really spin around the sun?
What's it matter in the least?
What's real to me ain't real to everyone.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conjunctivitis? Anyone?#20
Posted: 2/20/08 at 2:57pm
Just an FYI update:

I do not have bacterial conjunctivitis. I have VIRAL conjunctivitis, which means it's still terribly contagious and it can't be treated. Basically all you can do is treat the symptoms and stay away from all contact with people until it goes away. Which it will. And it's not dangerous - I will not go blind or die. (So sayeth the opthamalogist). I've got some drops to help keep my eyes lubricated and the suggestion to use either warm or cold compresses (some people prefer one over the other - just personal preference) and rinsing with a mild saline solution until it's gone.

All the other ailments are being treated with a these huge red horse pills called azithromycin. One pill a day for 5 days and all will be well again....
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03