Page: 1

RENT: My Lease is up.

george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RENT: My Lease is up. #1
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:00pm
Sorry I couldn't resist the hokey thread title.

Tonight a friend talked me into seeing RENT again even though I said I would not be seeing it again now that it has posted a closing notice. But, I figured why not one last time.

We got second row on the right aisle for 65.00 with my teacher discount about 3 hours before showtime. It ended up being a little too close. One of my favorite parts of Seasons of Love is the lighting, and I couldn't appreciate the lighting being that close. I like to see the whole "picture".

There were mic problems through the whole show. It was sort of like a blown-out speaker sound. Through the whole show.

It was great to see the theater packed though. As one of the girls in the front row got to her seat, she turned and looked at the mezz and said "oh man look how many people are here!" That was cool. And it was nice to hear the loud, concert-like cheers after each song like back in the day. For the past year or so, the theater is always so empty the applause just didnt sound right.

Whoever the guy is who tries to keep the lobby in order before the show was a hot mess. He kept yelling at everyone to use the "center door" to pick up tickets, even though there were two center doors. He meant "the other one". I got there at 6pm for some reason, so every 5 minutes or so, he would make everyone get out of the will call line and walk around to the other center door and get back in the will call line, explaining that "you can't go to the will call window until its available" People were like "what does that mean?" He replied "I got a lot of people to deal with, ok?" It was cool to see Marcus James and Shaun Earl run through the lobby at 6:30.

None of the cast was a standout to me. I still really don't like that Tamyra is allowed to be Mimi without the hair. If she wants to be Mimi, then wear the darn wig and be proud of it. Nobody wants to see her throw a random bag of glitter around instead of having it fly out of her hair.

Declan as Roger seemed like he was trying to conserve his voice. Same with Michael Mcelroy as Collins. He blew his I'll Cover U reprise. So many belty notes that he just let quietly out instead. I like Rodney Hicks as Benny a thousand times more than the previous Benny---D'Monroe I think? Rodney annunciates very well. Harley Jay as Mark was dull. I dont think Nicollette Hart's Maureen is popular but I thought she was decent.

But the very worst thing in the show was in the final song, as they sang "No other road, no other way...." and Shaun Earl turned to the person next to him and rolled his eyes. Being that I was in the second row I could see every pore on their face and I was like wowwwwwwww you really just rolled your eyes during Rent's gosh darn theme song.

OVERALL, its still the same 90's RENT. One of the reason why I thought that its not working anymore is because nobody is nostalgic for the 90's yet. We have had a lot of 70's nostalgia, 80's fashion is clearly making a comeback in the streets of NYC (I even admit to wearing skinny jeans and hi-tops tonight) but the 90's is still out of style, fashion, and currency, and our collective mindset. I look forward to going to the RENT revival as a cranky old man and saying "oh yeah we did dress like that in 1996! Cellphones were a novelty at one point! You could live in Manhattan without being an investment banker with a trust fund!"

I will miss nights like tonight, when a friend could call me up and say "wanna see RENT?" The show was still great fun, and it was nice to go back to the days of my early 20's. And I also thought--I was 20 when I first saw RENT, and now i'm 30 when I last see it. That seems like a nice ending.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #2
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:03pm
But the very worst thing in the show was in the final song, as they sang "No other road, no other way...." and Shaun Earl turned to the person next to him and rolled his eyes. Being that I was in the second row I could see every pore on their face and I was like wowwwwwwww you really just rolled your eyes during Rent's gosh darn theme song.

LMAO. Oh MAN. Well, Shaun Earl has been in autopilot since around 1999 and in Rent since most of the current Rentheads were in diapers...so I almost can't blame him. Ha!
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #2
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:14pm
Yeah the playbill mentions how is broadway debut was RENT in 1998 as Angel.
Gobstopper Profile PhotoGobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #3
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:15pm
Yeah, people just shouldn't be in any show that long. I know it's been off and on, but still.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #4
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:15pm
It's not right that I've seen three companies of Rent over the span of about 9 years and only seen two Angels...Shaun Earl and Justin Johnston.
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #5
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:20pm
in Rent since most of the current Rentheads were in diapers.

- LMAO!!!
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #6
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:23pm
wow ijay that is so distressing to think about! It reminds me of the I wish I could go back to College in Avenue Q. It makes you feel like youre still young and college was just yesterday, and then that last line (these kids are so much younger than me)
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #7
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:24pm
Well, Shaun Earl has been in autopilot since around 1999 and in Rent since most of the current Rentheads were in diapers...so I almost can't blame him.

So true. When I saw him on Broadway I thought he was outstanding. I saw him on the tour a few years later and he was just terrible.
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile PhotoPascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile Photo
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #8
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:33pm
It is really nice to hear that the theatre is full again. I really want to see RENT go out with some power.

Now, what's not nice to hear? That would definately be eye rolling during Finale B. What the heck? If you want to roll your eyes save it for Mimi's over the top resurrection.
"It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts. But where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generousity of spirit towards one another." - Adam Pascal on the closing of RENT
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #9
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:35pm
Well I didnt get any cast distractions during Mimi's death but the girl behind me said "that's soooo sad!" 3 times as she was dying!
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile PhotoPascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile Photo
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #10
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:42pm
It's sad, but she could keep inside her head. haha

I am glad that Mimi lives in the end. I'm a supporter of that plot. However, how it's done just seems like one big joke and that's one of the most serious moments, in my opinion.
"It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts. But where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generousity of spirit towards one another." - Adam Pascal on the closing of RENT
Gobstopper Profile PhotoGobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #11
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:50pm
"It's not right that I've seen three companies of Rent over the span of about 9 years and only seen two Angels...Shaun Earl and Justin Johnston."

That's so weird how little turn-over there is in RENT on Broadway. I've seen the tour three times in a little over a year, and I've seen three Angels (none of whom were understudies).

ALSO, OMG, LizzieCurry, I am in your signature! I feel so honred! Yay for me!
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:50pm
Updated On: 5/7/09 at 11:50 PM
NoDayButToday3 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday3 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday3
Swing
Swing
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #13
Posted: 2/18/08 at 12:17am
Thanks for the review! Your only mention of Roger was his "trying to conserve his voice". I saw Declan Bennett as Roger just b4 the "announcement". What was your take of him otherwise? I'm curious - before I say anything...:)

I like Nicolette's Maureen. Justin is awesome IMO, and his Angel never gets old for me - though it also never changes. Not even a bit. But sometimes I take comfort in a "STAPLE" performer. Like a comfy pair of jeans...

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Mark. YAWN. I kept thinking he was just holding out for "Halloween" "What You Own" etc. But no. SNORE.

I loved Michael McElroy - even though D'Monroe was starting to grow on me. Rodney Hicks was awesome. I love him more every time I see him. And I liked Kenna as Joanne, but she wasn't my favorite.

You know, I've always liked Shaun Earl as Paul, etc. but he just dropped several pegs in my book if for the rolled his eyes. That's just weird. What was he thinking?!!

Again, thanks for the review!

george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #14
Posted: 2/18/08 at 12:25am
Ok whow as the guy who was Roger before? With the raspy, screamy voice? His Roger was starting to grow on me--I liked the idea of a real rockstar-Roger. When Declan started into his ONe Song Glory, it was refreshing to hear a Roger with a clear voice. Buuuuut then came "times fliiiies....tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime gloooooooryyyyyy one blaze of! gloooory! gloooooryyyyy!" And Decland sang it softly, with short notes....not the vibrato that hits 'em in the back row. And he tried to have a little mohawk/fauxhawk thing going back tonight too. Hey Declan, fauxhawks may be cool in 2008 but they were not cool in 1996!

I'd love to give him another chance. But that's what I thought of his performance tonight.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #15
Posted: 2/18/08 at 12:26am
Tim Howar.
NoDayButToday3 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday3 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday3
Swing
Swing
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #16
Posted: 2/18/08 at 12:48am
Ugh. That's for Declan, not Tim. Love Tim. Anyway I found his English accent annoying when it came through (which was often) and he was FAR too angry for me. And Sleazy with Mimi during LMC. He's supposed to be a "Rock Star" and a recovering addict, but he hasn't left the house in months and he's supposed to be "broken" in a way. Declan's Roger was sleazy, absolutely IRATE, and their was no tenderness in the growing relationship with Mimi. It was to base, too animal or something.
And he was mean, even - especially to Mark. Which was another thing - Mark was SO boring, SO meek, SO dorky (and not in a good, Anthony Rapp-way) that I didn't even buy them being friends!
Okay. That's off my chest. Been wanting to vent that for a while. I know there are people who LOVE both of them and couldn't wait for them to get here. I'm sorry. I just don't get it. But that's me.
Still love the show though. Always will. :)
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #17
Posted: 2/18/08 at 12:59am
Ok funny you mention Declan's Roger being sleazy and irate. During Act II when he lunges across the table at Mimi (oh your words are nice Mimi....) as he he lunged forward, the girl's in front of me turned to each other and went "ewwww!" haha.
Starlette
Swing
Swing
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #18
Posted: 2/18/08 at 4:03am
In my opinion, Roger shouldn't sing softly and clearly during "One Song Glory". I've seen quite a few Rogers over the run of Rent and to me, Roger has to have a raspy and real "rock star" voice that is really strong and makes an impact during that song. I wouldn't be able to really "believe" a Roger with a soft and clear voice.
bluetuna
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #19
Posted: 2/18/08 at 4:06am
Does anyone know if any understudies are going to be on over the next few days?
suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photosuicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: RENT: My Lease is up. #20
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:11am
Shaun rolled his eyes? UGH! I mean, really, he's been with RENT for over 9 years (off and on) Can he DO anything else?
Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.