SKINS: Its even better than Spring Awakening -- well almost :)

East Village  Profile PhotoEast Village  Profile Photo
East Village
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Has anyone seen this british series SKINS? If you like SA or S&D, this series is definitely for you.

You can see the trailer on their myspace page. It's an absolute work of art.

I'm not sure if this will ever appear stateside because the content is a bit much even for BBC America. I know there's UK folks on our board. But if you're stateside and web savy, you can bitorrent the entire first season. Its worth the effort.

Anyways, just wanted to share. The cast is incredible -- and the show is flawless, beautiful, absolutely transcendent and unlike anything I've ever seen

SKINS on MySpace
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 12:07 PM
East Village
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: SKINS: Its even better than Spring Awakening -- well almost :)

This is my favorite character Maxxie played by Mitch Hewer. The new season just started and the BBC released the first episode online. It looks like a good part of this season focuses on him and his struggle to become a dancer in the west end

Maxxie's Dance - Season 2

Updated On: 2/17/08 at 01:27 PM
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Virgin Atlantic had the first series finale, which I watched and loved, so I bought the first series on dvd in London. Really love it!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile PhotoCaroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
what the f*ck is it about?
"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"SKINS: Its even better than Spring Awakening -- well almost :)"

Since I'm not a fan of SA, SKINS being almost better is really no recommendation.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://www.e4.com/skins/

Fast-paced and full of angst-ridden fun, this British drama may be based on teenage characters and aimed at a teenage audience, but its content is strictly adult. Watch as eleven teens struggle with highly-charged issues of race, religion, sexuality, drugs, and food disorders. With a solid set of good actors, expect the drama to consist of a lot of well-played emotional ups and downs.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
East Village
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
it's like The History Boys if they weren't as smart and took a lot of X -- and listened to better music
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#7
Posted: 7/2/08 at 7:59pm
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA!!!

SKINS U.S. PREMIERE

Teenagers grab life by the balls in BBC AMERICA's hot new comedy drama, Skins. Starring Nicholas Hoult (About a Boy, The Weather Man), and with a team of writers averaging the age of 22, the award-winning show follows the lives and loves of a group of shameless teenagers. A potent mix of humorous, heartbreaking and shocking stories unfold as the group get high, get drunk, get laid and get up for school, while pushing boundaries and managing their parents in ways only teenagers can.

Skins premieres Wednesday, August 13, 9:00 p.m. ET/PT.

DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#8
Posted: 7/2/08 at 8:02pm
If it's racy, I'm sure they'll edit the hell out of it. I'd rather wait and see it on dvd (like Footballer's Wives.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#9
Posted: 7/2/08 at 8:04pm
I read it was heading to the US. Have fun with that! I didn't think I'd enjoy it very much, but I really do. I'll admit, Maxxie helps. Maxxie REALLY REALLY HELPS. :3
myshikobit Profile Photomyshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#10
Posted: 7/2/08 at 8:31pm
Sounds cool. I'll Tivo it.
"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#11
Posted: 7/3/08 at 9:37am
I love Skins, but I haven't seen much of the second season. It wasn't on at a good time for me.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
clever name Profile Photoclever name Profile Photo
clever name
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#12
Posted: 7/3/08 at 9:19pm
OK.Just watched the first episode. Loved it! But I can't find episode 2. Is it on Youtube?
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#13
Posted: 7/3/08 at 9:25pm
So. Excited.

Now if only they'd start airing some of the older classic British comedies.
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#14
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:12am
BBC America itself needs major help in all aspects of its programming since it underwent a major makeover in early- to mid-2007.

I've found it since to be schizophrenic in tone, delirious in some of his programming (airing and heavily promoting the reruns of the Nick Lachey season of DWTS - when it easily could have aired the UK's Strictly Come Dancing) and scarily dependent on repeats and "encores".

I used to watch BBC America all the time, now I barely watch at all except maybe for Torchwood and Graham Norton.

Out In The Sticks Profile PhotoOut In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
Understudy
Understudy
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#15
Posted: 7/4/08 at 3:55am
I loved the first season but the second was tedious. Just more of the same but lets make it really shocking, they ran out of ideas!
stage_door76 Profile Photostage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#16
Posted: 7/4/08 at 4:10am
I agree that the second season is a little flatter then the first in terms of character development and storyline, but i think visually speaking it is far more vibrant, exciting and expressive - the costume design is brilliant, it's like a teenagers patricia field sex and the city thing. no divine gowns, or satin heels - just edgy clothes.

the third series is in pre-production and NONE of the original cast have had their contracts renewed, with the main focus of season three to be effie - tony's younger sister. pretty excited about that.

it is an AWESOME show - and there is nothing else like it that's for sure
"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."
East Village
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#17
Posted: 7/4/08 at 7:44am
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA

Cassie is a work of art come to life

The entire series is a major work of art. It does everything the british do better than anyone else but haven't realized on TV before. Each episode is an incredible study in narrative...it's going to be the zeitgeist for the next 10 years.

I hope they got the soundtrack rights for the U.S. -- I heard most of it was edited out of the dvd release.

fanpires
Stand-by
Stand-by
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#18
Posted: 7/4/08 at 6:08pm
i LOVE skins.

cassie and effy are insanely hot.

they're making an american version of it. i'm excited.
Updated On: 7/4/08 at 06:08 PM
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#19
Posted: 7/4/08 at 6:18pm
I could care less about Effy, but I love Cassie. :3

Tell you who else I think's great; Sid's dad! I looooove Peter Capaldi, and he's SO awesome in season 2 episode 3! Brilliant. Such a poignant performance in every way. Oh to be Josie Lawrence...
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#20
Posted: 7/10/08 at 7:29pm
OK, so after reading this article, I'm gonna go fish out the DVD I bought in London instead of the BBC America version:

It will do it, however, without some of the sex, language and nudity. That will disappear during the trimming for time, Ancier said. England's commercial networks - including the one that airs "Skins" - allow 50 minutes of program time each hour; American ones often allow only 42.

On the other hand, I'm very excited to hear that we'll be getting Gavin and Stacey.
BBC American picks up edgy 'Skins'

clever name Profile Photoclever name Profile Photo
clever name
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#21
Posted: 7/10/08 at 8:53pm
ok East Village. You got me completely hooked. Im almost done with season one. btw, the actress playing Sid's mom looks so familiar it's driving me crazy. What else was she in?
Craww
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#22
Posted: 7/11/08 at 1:24am
I love Cassie so much.

and Chris.

I just watched all of the show last week. I really really liked it.
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#23
Posted: 7/11/08 at 1:17pm
Sid's mum is Josie Lawrence. She's done theatre, and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'. I'm sure she must've done other things too, but those are what spring instantly to mind. ^_^
xoangel2789xo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
SKINS is coming to BBC AMERICA#24
Posted: 7/11/08 at 4:01pm
Saw the first episode. I like.