Page: 1

Need help from singers/performers asap!

TheatreDiva612 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Need help from singers/performers asap! #1
Posted: 2/15/08 at 3:57pm
Okay guys. I've been sick for the last month, basically. I've been on antibiotics, and on tuesday my doctor gave me prednisone, so ive been taking that. Yesterday they gave me a cortisone shot. I have a netti pot, throat coat, singers saving grace, etc. and haven't been talking. My throat doesn't hurt, though, thank god. I just don't have any sound.

Here's the problem: I have to do a solo concert tomorrow night where they are paying me $400 to sing 12 songs and right now I sound like a 12 year old boy soprano.

HELP!
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wish you the best of luck, but it looks like you have a pretty tricky situation on your hands...
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You may have to cancel.

Sorry.

But it does sound like you are doing everything right!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm with the other Diva...you should cancel--the only other thing is to try to push through the "pain" and risk permanent damage.

I'm KINDA joking, but cocaine will numb you enough to do it. Not that I'm advocating illegal drug use, which I would NEVER do.
TheatreDiva612
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But the weird thing is, i'm not in pain! I'm just really congested and when I try to sing it just isn't coming out.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The only thing you haven't used that I know of is drinking pineapple juice or gargling with c****nay. Maybe try a pot of VERY spicy Thai soup--the capsacin in the peppers might help you--but I vote cancel.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You may not be in pain now because for the shots and stuff, but if you do damage, you won't know until after you've done it.

Sorry.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
lovelyspotlight Profile Photolovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I agree that canceling is likely the best option. You COULD wait it out and see if you get any better, but that's just unfair to the people who booked you to wait until the last minute and cancel. Now is still last minute, but day of is a bit unacceptable. Cancel as soon as you can if you don't see much chance for improvement (and I don't think there really is, if you've been sick for the last month). =/
TheatreDiva612
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This sucks. My mom is friends with the lady who runs it and she is talking about how the place is packed and was so excited. my mom just saw her and didn't even tell her i was sick. I could kill her.
Clayford27 Profile PhotoClayford27 Profile Photo
Clayford27
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
"You may not be in pain now because for the shots and stuff, but if you do damage, you won't know until after you've done it."

I definitely agree with that. You don't want to risk doing any permanent damage to you voice. Pushing your voice and singing tomorrow night could just make things worse for you. I think that at this point, it may be best to just cancel. Sorry, I know it really sucks. re: Need help from singers/performers asap!
There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Try warming up on "eeeee." Do it constantly for a while, it will break up the congestion.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My friend always recommends a spoonful of cyan pepper and honey. She swears by it.

I can't bring myself to try it, but for the sake of $400? I probably could do it...
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't screw your voice up for $400.00!

BAD ADVICE!

Besides, I've already had my tickets refunded...
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You really should cancel. Another thing you can try is to gargle with hydrogen peroxide. But, there isn't a quick fix and if you push yourself too hard you are risking permanent or more severe damage to your voice. If that happens you will be out a lot more than $400.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sleep as much as you possibly can between now and then. I mean 15 to 18 hours if possible, and when you're awake, use hot steam over a sink (with a towel draped around your head and the sink) and breathe deeply.

No guarantees, but lots of rest and steam will help a lot.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
erikaamato
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Drink so much water that you have to go pee every 15 minutes. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And steam. And take a good decongestant.

I, too, was sick for a solid month with this flu thing that's been going around, and although I didn't end up on antibiotics (which only work on bacterial infections, and since I only had the flu - no bronchitis or other secondary infections - they wouldn't have worked anyway), I had the same kind of voice issues you're talking about. I had to cancel one performance in January, just because I sounded ridiculous. It didn't hurt; I wasn't straining or anything, but I just sounded so lame I couldn't in good conscience make anyone listen to me. :-P (Fortunately, it was a show in which I was only one of many performers.)

I say all this only to make it clear that if I thought you were vocally tired and/or inflamed, I would also tell you to cancel. But if it's just the weird congestion thing, again, I say: drink tons of water, do the steam thing, and take a good decongestant (one with guaifenesin).

Let us know what happens!!!

touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Go see a laryngologist. If you are having issues phonating at all, it could be any number of things (from nodules to paralysis)...see a doctor and talk to them about what you should do.

Be sure you're seeing a good laryngologist, too!!
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown