Page: 1

NYC travel Q's

singtopher Profile Photosingtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
NYC travel Q's#1
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:07pm
Hey Ya'll. I'm comming to the city for the first time in years in a couple weeks. Both times before now, I've been with my parents who planed everything, so I have questions about my upcomming trip.

In an effort to cut costs, I'm considering taking a bus or subway to and from LaGuardia. How much of a pain is it to take luggage with me on these systems?

Thats my only question for now. I'm sure there will be more to come.
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#2
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:11pm
It sort of depends on how big your luggage is and what time of day you travel. Many airport workers use the bus and it can get crowded at certain times.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#2
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:12pm
How much luggage are you bringing?

Luggage on the bus is going to be the deciding factor. Keep in mind that the bus might be crowded, the aisles are thin and there's no overhead storage space. And people will be wanting to get off and on the bus around you. I've done it before with a large suitcase, so it's possible.

If you can make it on the bus, the subway should be gravy.

(also, be sure to have exact change for the bus if you don't already have a metrocard!)
yodamarie78 Profile Photoyodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#3
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:13pm
You can't take the subway to or from LaGuardia. The M60 bus does go out there. As for luggage it really depends upon how much you have with you. There are pretty much always people with suitcases on the M60. It really depends upon how much inconvenience you are willing to put up with to save money.

M60 Bus Information
shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#4
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:14pm
I've taken my luggage on the train. It's not too bad. I'd imagine that's not much different from the subway, but I'd definitely avoid rush hour.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#5
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:16pm
Honestly, FROM LaGuardia, if you really want to save money and take the subway, I'd just take a cab to the Astoria Blvd. station and take the N/W from there into midtown (where I assume you'll be going).

The cab ride there will be short, cheap and you'll skip the toll into Manhattan. Now, on the way back, this won't work, as there aren't usually many cabs around the Astoria Blvd. station.
Bluemoon Profile PhotoBluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#6
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:24pm
I've taken an airport shuttle bus into Manhattan from LGA. It stops at all terminal entrances, then stops at Grand Central, Port Authority and several intersections in the vicinity. I believe that cost was $12 or $14. The shuttle buses are built with luggage in mind.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#7
Posted: 2/14/08 at 1:39pm
I second the shuttle bus idea. It's cheaper than a taxi, and far more comfortable & quicker than bus & subway.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
singtopher
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#8
Posted: 2/14/08 at 6:16pm
Thanks Guys. I'll look into the shuttle bus. Do I find that on the MTA website, or is it a separate company?

New question, (again with the saving money) Where are some decently cheap places to eat in Midtown? (I'm talking 5-10 bucks for a meal)
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
Bluemoon Profile PhotoBluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#9
Posted: 2/15/08 at 9:15am
Here's the shuttle bus website. The one-way fare is $12.00.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/index.html
shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#10
Posted: 2/15/08 at 9:20am
Meals between $5-$10 bucks are going to limit you to fast food, delis, cafes and street vendors.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
Updated On: 2/15/08 at 09:20 AM
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#11
Posted: 2/15/08 at 9:20am
There's a diner on 8th Ave, between 46th & 47th, on the east side of the street. The name escapes me, but like many diners you can get a lot of food for relatively little money.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#12
Posted: 2/15/08 at 10:17am
You can find some cheap places to eat--my advice is to do a search on menupages.com--there are a few places that are fun in HK--like Afghan Kebab, Arriba Arriba, Blockheads, Yum Yum Bangkok...that are cheap and frequented by Bway types
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#13
Posted: 2/15/08 at 10:24am
The Westway on 9th between 43rd and 44th, is on the cheap side and is pretty good.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
singtopher
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#14
Posted: 2/15/08 at 12:57pm
Fantastic. Thanks guys.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NYC travel Q's#15
Posted: 2/15/08 at 1:14pm
Definitely take that shuttle bus. They open a huge luggage compartment on the side of the bus and everyone's luggage fits in there, no matter how much you have.

I take that bus all the time now!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES