Page: 1

High Schooler Spars With Rove Over Gay Marriage

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marla Rocks!

High schooler spars with Rove over gay marriage.

During his controversial speech at New England prep school Choate Rosemary Hall yesterday, former Bush adviser Karl Rove was challenged by a student “to explain how giving gay people the right to marry would endanger other people.” Rove dodged answering her at first, saying that the issue “should be resolved by a legislature or a referendum, not a court.” But the student, Choate senior Marla Spivak, continued to press him:

Spivak kept pressing. “You never actually answered, how does it threaten anyone?” she asked.

Rove asked, what’s the compelling reason to throw out 5,000 years of understanding the institution of marriage as between a man and a woman?

What, Spivak countered, was the compelling reason for society to allow interracial relationships when they had once been outlawed.

Then Rove invoked the Declaration of Independence before Spivak interjected that its reference to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” seemed to support her claims.

Eventually, Rove wiggled out of the debate by asking Spivak “when she planned to run for political office.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/12/high-schooler-spars-with-rove-over-gay-marriage
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Urgh. Hell yes. Good for her.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brava!
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
theaterkid1015 Profile Phototheaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Get it, girl!

(Is that appropriate in this case?)
Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How come a high school student can understand that you need to pressure someone to answer the question when so many in the media don't understand that?

Such as....During a Fox News Sunday interview with President Bush, Chris Wallace left unchallenged Bush's statement regarding Sen. Barack Obama: "I certainly don't know what he believes in. The only foreign policy thing I remember he said was he's going to attack Pakistan and embrace [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad." But Bush and his administration have made contradictory statements on the question of dealing with Al Qaeda leaders in Pakistan, the specific issue that Bush purported to know where Obama stands. Wallace also did not note Bush misrepresented Obama's statements regarding Pakistan and engaging in dialogue with Ahmadinejad.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This just in.

Fox News is Reporting that Marla is missing. Also, drugs were found at her home and direct links to Al Qaeda and Iran.

re: High Schooler Spars With Rove Over Gay Marriage
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-