Stamps to Cost a Penny More

NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stamps to Cost a Penny More#1
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:23pm
Mailing a Letter Will Cost a Penny More Starting in May

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Mailing a letter will soon cost a penny more.
The cost of a first-class stamp will rise to 42 cents starting May 12, the U.S. Postal Service said Monday.

The price of the Forever stamp will go up at the same time, meaning those stamps can still be purchased for 41 cents but will remain good for first-class postage after the rate increase takes effect.

Didn't they just raise the rates?!
Sheesh...

Full Article
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#2
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:25pm
And I just bought a packet of forever stamps. Fortunately, the only thing I ever have to mail anymore is my rent check, so those should last me until the next increase next year.
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#2
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:27pm
I'm still a fan of old-fashioned letter writing, and frequently send cards and letters.

I guess I'll run out and buy some forever stamps.

I recently went through my assortment of "old" stamps and bought some 1 and 2 cent stamps so that I had the right combination for the current 41 cent stamp.

Guess I'll have to buy a few more...
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 05:27 PM
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#3
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:35pm
I'm still getting through my 2 cent stamps with the rest of my 39 cent stamps!

If I don't use those soon, I'll have to buy some 1 cent stamps to tack onto those.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#4
I knew they'd find a way to take back our $600 refunds.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#5
I was thinking the same thing about the forever stamps. My only complaint is that they're just so plain. I like sending things in the mail, too, but I also like nice looking stamps. My current favorite are the flowers.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#6
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:37pm
I purposely asked the woman at the post office if the rates would be going up any time soon when I just bought a roll of 100 stamps. She said no way.

I like the flowers too, Dottie!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#7
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:42pm
I love the new Chinese New year's stamps

Addy, is only first class going up? This really sucks as they did just raise them maybe a year ago, if that......RAT BASTARDS as one of my fav posters here would say.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#8
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:45pm
According to the article there seem to be a bunch of different postal rates that are going up.

I like to buy various stamps, as well. I'm currently enjoying the Legends series, with Jimmy Stewart adorning all of my mail.

Apparently this will be an annual thing.

Those forever stamps make more sense knowing that.

(And, Foster, I've got a patchwork of stamps in some cases! Old ones plus 1 and 2 cent additions!)
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 05:45 PM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#9
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:47pm
that really ticks me off, that means I have to buy a new round dial for my scale every year...RAT BASTARDS......and just when I got used to mailing catalogs and knowing they are $1.01 to mail, ARRGH!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#10
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:48pm
From the article:

The charge for other services, such as advertising mail, periodicals, packages special services will also change. Changes in the price for Priority Mail and Express Mail will be announced later, the agency said.

Postage rates last went up in May, 2007, with a first-class stamp jumping 2 cents to the current 41-cent rate.

In the past raising postage rates was a long, complex process involving hearings before the independent Postal Regulatory Commission, a process that could take nearly a year.

However, under the new law regulating the post office that took effect in late 2006, the agency is allowed to increase rates with 45-days notice as long as changes are within the rate of inflation for the previous 12 months. The Postal Regulatory Commission calculated that rate at 2.9 percent through January, limiting the first-class rate to an increase of just over a penny.

Under the new law, postal prices will be adjusted annually each May, the Postal Service said. Officials said they plan to give 90 days notice of future changes, twice what is required by law.

While the charge for the first ounce of a first-class letter rises to 42 cents, the price of each added ounce will remain 17 cents, so a two-ounce letter will go up a penny to 59 cents.

The cost to mail a post card will also go up a penny, to 27 cents

Other increases set for May 12:

-- Large envelope, 2 ounces, $1, up 3 cents.

-- Money Orders up to $500, $1.05, unchanged.

-- Certified mail, $2.70, up 5 cents.

-- First-class international letter to Canada or Mexico, 72 cents, up 3 cents.

-- First-class international letter to other countries, 94 cents, up 4 cents.

Updated On: 2/11/08 at 05:48 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#11
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:52pm
This is going to cause me to look into paying my bills on line. Harumph!
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#12
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:53pm
Do it, Jane. I finally succumbed this year, and it's so much more pleasant.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#13
Posted: 2/11/08 at 5:56pm
Definitely! the only reason I use stamps is to pay bills.
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#14
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:00pm
I do most of my bill-paying online. I love not having to worry about timing the mail properly or having checks lost.

There are a few bills that aren't available for online payment, so I still mail those.

And, the cards and letters I still enjoy sending. re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 06:00 PM
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#15
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:01pm
No if only they'd print those forever stamps with a nice design, I might be a bit more enthusiastic about purchasing them. I haven't resorted to online bill paying either. Heck, it took me ages before I finally relented on getting a cell phone (2001).
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#16
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:02pm
I also think it's nice to receive cards and letters by snail mail, Addy. It's a shame, but people nowadays send the free ecards a lot. I'm guilty!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#17
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:11pm
Chicago literally has the worst mail in the country. I hope this extra penny goes to maybe getting my mail to and from me on time. My father mailed me something in November and I got it two weeks ago, and that's par for the course for everyone I know.
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#18
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:14pm
I do that, too, Jane (because some of those e-cards are so much fun!)

I just love the (soon-to-be-lost) art of letter writing. There's nothing quite as special as seeing a card or note in the mail along with all of the junk and bills. And, a handwritten thank you, for even the smallest of kindnesses, is special.

Call me old fashioned.
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#19
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:15pm
Phyllis, I think that's my problem with the annual increase... although I suppose when you consider how many pieces of mail are delivered each and every day, the percent of packages or letters that go astray is pretty small.
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:17pm
Updated On: 1/27/09 at 06:17 PM
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#21
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:17pm
Thanks for saying that Phyllis. I express mailed tickets to a friend of mine in Chicago over the summer and he got them the day of the performance, even though I mailed them the week before!!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#22
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:20pm
Phyllis, I think that's my problem with the annual increase... although I suppose when you consider how many pieces of mail are delivered each and every day, the percent of packages or letters that go astray is pretty small.

Oh, Addy, for the rest of the nation, I think that's fair, but as you'll see in the article I linked, our mail is allegedly improved at it is still ranked worst in the nation!
Bring it when you visit! It will never arrive via mail!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#23
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:23pm
Dottie, my father asked me about in December. He refused to believe it never came. He was convinced I'd forgotten I received it. Well, I showed him!

Seriously, the mail here has made me more neurotic than normal. I always wonder what stuff out there just never arrived. Letters from lovers, million dollar checks, that EW that never came.

I read in the Sun-Times today that someone just received something that was mailed nine and a half years ago!
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More#24
Posted: 2/11/08 at 6:28pm
Phyllis - wow! They don't DESERVE a rate increase!

(Did you get the million dollar check I sent you? re: Stamps to Cost a Penny More )