Broadway Legend
Mya as Velma Kelly beginning May 12.

Thoughts?

Playbill.com article
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 03:07 PM
Rentfan931
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
At leaste Brenda didnt extend again. This may make me want to see Chicago again. Only if Bianca would extend past 4/20.....
obsessedjb Profile Photoobsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
interesting casting choice

edit: ah I didn't realize she had been in the movie..I haven't seen it
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 03:13 PM
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She looked good in the Cell Block Tango in the movie version. I'd be interested to see her, but I probably won't go since I've already seen Chicago three times.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was going to comment on how seemingly random this was, but I forgot she was in the movie.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
scaryclowns223 Profile Photoscaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You know, you can charge the Weisslers with loading their shoes with stars, but they can't even get real celebrities anymore. I mean, come on...Mya?
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Funny. I was just wondering the other day whatever happened to her. I was trying to say something about her to a friend, but I couldn't remember her name or any of her major songs, so I just said: "You know. The least famous one who did the 'Lady Marmalade' remake."
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think she's pretty well known. I think she has a new CD getting released soon, so I'm sure it's part of her publicity.
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good for Mya!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
MungoGypsy8232
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How many years has Brenda been with the Broadway production?
MungoGypsy8232
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Edit: Double Post!
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 03:24 PM
NBC
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think she did her first stint as Velma in 2003, and has been in and out of the show fairly regulary since then, including the tour.
"I cried during the Frug." - MC
Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmm. When ever I watch the movie of CHICAGO it always looks like they are pretty careful to cut away from Mya any time any "real" dancing is required. At any rate - she's pretty weird in the movie - I'm not sure how exciting she's going to be on stage.
Gobstopper Profile PhotoGobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't know... I think she had a lot of training in dance and was even a dance teacher prior to becoming famous. I may be making that up though...
Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know plenty of dance teachers who would have no business playing Velma on Broadway, so I'm not sure thats the most convincing arguement...
truman
Understudy
Understudy
fnyboi88 Profile Photofnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
She has dance training. I just watched the movie yesterday and wondered where she went to.
Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I mean, come on...Mya?"

Brandy, Sade, Chaka Khan and Macy Gray were all busy.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whatever happened to Debelah Morgan?
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At this point, Phyllis Diller could play the role and I'd be happy, as long as it wasn't Brenda Braxton yet again.
musicalfandukie Profile Photomusicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
have you ever seen mya perform? she is a great dancer.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"At this point, Phyllis Diller could play the role and I'd be happy"

Love to see her as Mama Morton.

When you're good to Mama
aaa haa haa
Mama's good to you
aaa haa haa
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah I'm excited to see a new Velma. I don't know why, but I am just starting to appreciate Chicagon on b-way now after all these years.
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I KNEW the Weisslers would try to get her eventually. She is going to be a young Velma, but I think it will work. She can certainly dance, her singing is good, sometimes she's a bit whiney, but they'll work with her.

While she isn't as big as Beyonce, she IS a Platinum selling Grammy winner who has been around for 10 years.
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know how I feel about her being cast, but I'm kind of glad Braxton will finally be leaving.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler