Page: 1

tech question - flooring?

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
tech question - flooring?#1
Posted: 2/10/08 at 11:25pm
we are doing "Blame it On the Movies" next month and were wondering how to effectively attach posters to the floor that won't damage the floor and could maybe be easily removed or covered over after the show is over.

any ideas?

i was thinking decoupage or varnish, but i don't really know.
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: tech question - flooring?#2
Posted: 2/10/08 at 11:29pm
maybe attach to large foamcore boards, then anchor to the floor with velcro at the corners. Nothing attched directly to the floor
vbplayer Profile Photovbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: tech question - flooring?#2
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:27am
Will that be effective for the audience? Will they see it? Might be more dramatic to project back so the house can see it.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: tech question - flooring?#3
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:37am
I miss Dallas theatre. It's so much better than Las Vegas.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: tech question - flooring?#4
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:17am
our theatre is tiny - 3 rows in the center and 2 rows on each side of the stage - the stage floor is always a part of what the audience sees.
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: tech question - flooring?#5
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:57am
Can you do anything to the floor?
I would buy masonite sheets (a cheap particle board) and do whatever treatment you want on them (varnish, etc.), then lay the maso false floor over the existing stage floor. Secure the maso sheets with screws - if you can drill into your stage.
It's cheap and would work well.
Make sure whatever finish you put over the posters will withstand the traffic onstage for the duration of your run.