Page: 1

Spectacular!Spectacular! - Vegas Phantom (spoilers)

Broadwaywest2 Profile PhotoBroadwaywest2 Profile Photo
Broadwaywest2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Spectacular!Spectacular! the words are a vernacular. They can't describe this great event, you'll be dumb with wonderment. That is pretty much the only way I can sum up Phantom:The Las Vegas Spectcaular, which I had the pleasure of seeing last night at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. Now, mind you I first saw Phantom back on broadway in '89, so I do not remember much. However, for some reason, I don't remember it being as over the top as the production I saw last night. But then again maybe it was.

First, I have to start with the theater. This theater was custom built for phantom of the opera. In fact, it is called the Phantom theater. Outside, is a mosaic tile phantom mask next to the box office area. I didn't even notice it till I looked down. Inside, the theater has a stadium seating like venue to it, so there aren't really any bad seats, plus there is a lot more leg room. When you enter the theater everything is draped in grey including the walls. The chandelier is in about 3 pieces over the audience and of course the piece on stage. When the auctioneer shouts, "gentelman!,all the pieces of the chandelier illuminate and begin to move over the audiences heads, for pretty much the entire overture, until they culminate into one big one rising. Also, the grey sheets drop on the sides of theater, to reveal numerous boxes of manniqueins dressed in the period clothing all facing the stage. If you are in the orchestra,as I was, all of this really engulfs you into the era of the show. It's pretty cool.

From what I remember for seeing the show as a kid, alot is still the same, even though there have been some cuts, mostly in the second act, and a little out of the first. However, I'm not sure if this was just in the Vegas production or in the orignal, but I don't remember the acting being so over the top. Some parts that were meant to be taken seriously, looked so funny. The only time when I felt compassion for anyone was at the end, when you truly get to see the phantom show his emotions.

Some of the other dazzling effects to this production was that the Phantom actually hangs from the chandelier at one point during the show. Also, we get to see the front of the Paris opera house. While, the entre'act is being played, mind you there is no intermission, pieces of the set come together to form the exterior of the Paris Opera house and it is illuminated, I got to say it was very pretty. There are also fireworks on stage, that effect is actually use quite alot. The chandelier actually comes down after the "Point of No Return" and it comes down fast, basically right over the audiences heads, if you are in that section, it could be pretty scary.

However, the best,cheesiest effect for the vegas production is that when raul is captured by the phantom. Instead of being put in a noose, he comes through the gate, and a cage comes up from the floor, traps him in it and then is lifted off the ground. It's like something out of a Lance Burton magic show.

Also, I dont' remember if this is in the original production, but when raul is looking for christine at the end, he jumps into the lake. That was cool. But I can't remember if that was in the original show.

So, even though Phantom is not one of my favorite shows, you definitly have a feeling watching this, that maybe this show was made for a vegas audience.

P.S, I have to scan the playbill, the promotional art is so cheesy, plus Bruce Vilanch and some hot young guy were there, so that just added to the magic and cheesiness of the evening.

nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Viva Las Vegas, baby!
Scarywarhol Profile PhotoScarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree, I had a lot of fun seeing the production--cheesy as hell, and some of the effects are totally uncalled for and make no sense in context of the story, but hey, I wasn't going to complaun about seeing some stuff blow up and a cage come out of the floor with spinning knives and what-not...
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm dying to see the Vegas production of Phantom---one of these days I'll use my miles to get out there.
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm dying to see the Vegas production of Phantom---one of these days I'll use my miles to get out there.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Raoul does jump into the lake in the original Broadway production. After the Phantom takes Christine to his lair for the final time Madame Giri shows Raoul where to go to get her. He jumps down in the lake off the bridge that was used during the title song.

Personally, I like it better when they drop the chandelier at the end of point of no return. I like how it is used as a way to distract everyone while the Phantom takes christine "down once more" ( pun intended) for the final time.

In the show when they do it after the end of act one it is just the phantom doing it out of anger because he can't get the girl.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
TheatreFreak05 Profile PhotoTheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
saw this show this summer! Loved it! I have never seen the show on Broadway or anything but I was very familiar with the music. The effects were spectacular and Brent Barret was amazing!!! love his voice.