Page: 1

Talkback

ctnyc
Swing
Swing
Talkback#1
Posted: 2/9/08 at 11:00pm
What is a talkback? Can audience members attend this? I heard about this lightly a long time ago.
jv92 Profile Photojv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#2
Posted: 2/9/08 at 11:39pm
YES! ABSOLUTELY! I've attended MOST at Encores!. Usually, the artistic director, a theatre historial (either Robert Kimball, Ted Chapin or someone else), the composer, lyricist or bookwriter (if they're alive), the director, the music director and most of the cast attend to answer questions and discuss the show with the audience. But that's Encores!. Other times, it's usually just the cast taking questions from the audience.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#2
Posted: 2/10/08 at 11:08am
I went to the talkback after Roundabout's PYGMALION. If the moderator isn't good, and the audience can't come up with interesting questions, it is (and in this case was) a disappointment. On the other hand, the talkback at Encores! Follies last winter was superb because of Sondheim's candor and humor.
Dover
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Talkback#3
Posted: 2/10/08 at 11:56am
Some talkbacks are only for people who are with a certain group. My experience is that this is the case for most Broadway shows. Usually a school or tour group of some kind has made prior arrangements (sometimes paid in the form of a donation to BC/EFA) to have the talkback, and after the rest of the audience leaves they are allowed to move up to the front and do the talkback.
sally1112 Profile Photosally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#4
Posted: 2/10/08 at 12:23pm
My first talkback was Assassins revival and the entire cast came out. I thought it was the cooliest thing ever. People asked great questions, many about how the actors felt portraying "real life" villains.

Years later I went to see Company in Cincinatti and everyone came out for the talk back except for Raul and Barbara Walsh. They talked about the night Sondheim came to the show, answered everyone's questions, and announced that they just got word that they were going to take the show to Broadway.

Both of these experiences were amazing for a theater geek like myself. It is like having an extended stage door conversation, only the actors are relaxed and enjoying the conversation. At both occassions the actors were so nice and interesting.
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#5
Posted: 2/10/08 at 12:26pm
i very rarely stay for the Talkbacks at performances (except Encores!) because i find actors sneak out the stage door at that point thinking no one will stop them
jv92 Profile Photojv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#6
Posted: 2/10/08 at 12:29pm
I would pay full $100+ admission for a Sondheim talkback. It's THAT interesting and the man is THAT funny.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#7
Posted: 2/10/08 at 12:29pm
They used to be called Q&As. Apparently they think they have to dumb that down to a word/phrase that would generally be used by a three year old.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
jordangirl Profile Photojordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Talkback#8
Posted: 2/10/08 at 2:48pm
There are also the talkbacks like they've done during previews of Next to Normal to give the creative team a chance to talk with real (read: not some paid or comped "test audience") audience members to see what's working for them, what's not working for them, etc.
Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!