pimpin' out chelsea

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pimpin' out chelsea#1
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:04pm
so, did i miss the thread on here about this?

david shuster was suspended by msnbc for saying, "but doesn't it feel like chelsea's being pimped out in some weird sort of way?"

here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIxgw04Y0Fc

now, he did apologize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClM3sC_EzN4&feature=user

but that doesn't seem to be enough:

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/02/hillary_to_nbc_fire_david_shus.php

my question is: was suspending shuster enough of a penalty or should they fire him?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#2
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:05pm
I fail to see why he should have been suspended at all. I think it was a gross over reaction
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#2
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:08pm
he insulted a clinton on national television for one, liv. gah! are you that dense?

i'll wait for pj to chime in. he spent much of the libby case curled up in shuster's lap purring contentedly.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#3
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:10pm
Everyone should insult a clinton on national TV. it should be some sort of citizenship requirement.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#4
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:17pm
Papa isn't agreeing with Liverpool enough to show you the error of your ways?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#5
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:19pm
It's incredibly unprofessional. They don't have to go far to find someone with more intelligence and manners to take that job. He deserves to be canned for his stupidity.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#6
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:19pm
liv and i agree on stuff all the time. we also vehemently disagree just about as often.

joe, should he be fired?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#7
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:22pm
Oh no, I think it's a very odd thing to say but no odder than 3/4 of the stuff they say on Hannity or O'Reilly.

Why did he say Pimpin' anyway?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#8
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:27pm
it was a question about her activities on behalf of her mother's campaign look from the outside. specifically calling celebrities and superdelegates trying to win support for her mom.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#9
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:29pm
It will certainly be the only time Chelsea is mistaken for a hooker.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#10
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:37pm

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#11
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:49pm
If Schuster had sounded the least bit sincere in his first apology, and not basically lied about some of the things he said, maybe this would have blown over.

And, since there seems to be a pattern of some negative Clinton comments (especially from Matthews) on MSNBC, this may have just gone too far.

I found the comment pretty offensive.

And, for the record, they were not just insulting Clinton, but her daughter. If this had just been another hateful comment about Hillary, I doubt it would have generated this reaction. I don't recall similarly nasty comments about other candidates children working the campaign for them.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#12
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:50pm
Didn't Drunk 'n' Drunker campaign for their father the last couple times around? And I know the Romney boys were dancing at Splash with all tips going to Dad's campaign.

And why do people say Chelsea is unattractive? I'd hate to still be judged by what I looked like at 13.
Updated On: 2/9/08 at 07:50 PM
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#13
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:54pm
That is one of the points here Joe. Other candidates children have campaigned for them, but I do not recall the kind of pejorative language used against the children of the candidates by a member of the press.

It seems that for HRC, even her child cannot legitimately believe that she is qualified to be president - the press assumes that there is not an authentic emotion or response among them.

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#14
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:55pm
Freedom of speech does not give anyone the right to piss people off and not suffer consequences for doing it.

If you talk like a mean-spirited jerk, and make stupid comments, you might be treated accordingly and face whatever repercussions are deemed appropriate. That's the risk that is taken for shooting off your mouth.

I think he SHOULD be fired. Not for doing anything illegal... but for taking cheap shots at a powerful candidate's daughter. He has alienated his own media company from the Clinton campaign in an election year. That's bad business. He should be fired for a "bad business move." Happens all the time.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#15
Posted: 2/9/08 at 7:58pm
Isn't it a commentators job to stir up controversy? I agree Ms Clinton can't catch a break with the press, but this is no more heinous than half the stuff they say- and a whole lot better than Ruch Limbaugh's White House Dog crack.

If it comes to that, it's not as bad as McCain's joke about her: Why is Chelsea so ugly? Her mom is Hilary and her dad is Janet Reno.

Updated On: 2/9/08 at 07:58 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#16
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:00pm
timing is everything. this sure makes a more attractive story than talking about her losing the next five states...to some people.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#17
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:03pm
Well, that just further demonstrates McCain's wonderful sense of humor and calm temper.

And papa, you are right, the timing of this could not have been better for the Clintons.

I believe they were legitimately pissed, but this happened at a good time for them as well.
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#18
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:14pm
Certainly they are in the prime position of being legitimately upset, and able to benefit politically.
I think the comment was unfortunate and shouldn't have been used, especially considering the way that other people have acted in the case.
Yet I also think there is a double standard with Chelsea Clinton, in part because of the stupid and unfair criticism she had as a child. Many people still think of her as a 12 year old girl and treat her as such, instead of a capable, adult woman who makes her own decisions. I think that sense of dismissing her as a child is what Shuster was guilty of, and is also a problem with the response.

The analogy to the Bush Twins is interesting, they have been subject to extreme criticism, both fair and unfair, here and elsewhere, yet there is no where near the same outcry. And they have been called many things, from "drunks" in this thread, to "whores, sluts and bimbos".
Now maybe they are, but isn't a lack of outrage over that indicative that this is more than the cut and dry response many, particularly at kos and mydd are making it out to be.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#19
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:21pm
Well Pengy, I'd counter that to call the Bush twins drunks is a certified truth.

You get 118,000 stories when you google "Bush Twins Drunk" including them being asked to leave South America and their arrest for drinking in an Austin bar.

I do not believe Chelsea has ever been proven a ho.
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#20
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:29pm
Joe, there is no dispute of that from me

Of course, Shuster's remarks actually have no meaning of prostitution attributed to Chelsea anyway.
It was an attempted slam at "using a child for political gain" which was of course nonsense since she is an adult.

On the "should he be fired" front, I think not. One irrational comment, in any line of work, should not be cause that, he has been suspended, and should have been. But the long term firing just seems like an extreme overreaction. He hurt the company, and suffered some retribution, I feel more goes too far.
I wouldn't be surprised if he were fired though.
Updated On: 2/9/08 at 08:29 PM
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#21
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:49pm
Wrong.

These people get paid enormous sums of money to be professional and not make irrational comments on the air. If he can't do that he deserves to be fired.

The 'dumbing down' of this country is epidemic when we allow professional news casters to make comments like this. He not only should apologize to Chelsea, he should apologize to the public who had to listen to him. Then he should be fired.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#22
Posted: 2/9/08 at 8:54pm
there are links. they do go somewhere.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#23
Posted: 2/9/08 at 9:17pm
this is not shuster's first brush with controversy.

of course, prior to this it was always with republicans so it was ok.

playing gotcha with tenn. rep. marsha blackburn:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A33919

only as this apology shows...he was wrong.

http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/08/2007-09-26MSNBCShuster.wmv

or there's this calm and rational depiction of the bush white house:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dickens/2007/08/29/hardball-larry-craig-moral-insult-katrina-victims

davey, davey, davey. the clintons are not republicans silly.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: pimpin' out chelsea#24
Posted: 2/9/08 at 9:42pm
Mamie, I simply disagree. These people are in fact also paid to make statements that make "news", they are pushed to say the outlandish things.
I think Chris Mathews and others have been particularly harsh on the Clintons and said stupid things, but most of these moralistic arguments are disingenuous.