Page: 1

Marrakech Hotel in NYC - Anyone Ever Stay There?

millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey all -

For spring break, me, my cousin, and a couple of friends are going to be in the city a couple of days. We found a decent rate for the Marrakech Hotel for 4 people, so we think we're going to stay there. The pictures online look decent, so I was wondering has anyone ever stayed there? I wanted to be a bit closer to Times Square (Marrakech is near the 100s), but most places are beyond our budget. I was wondering what you guys thought of this place. Thanks!
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is across the street from my apartment!

If you stay there, let me know and we'll have to say hi!
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, definitely! How's the area? It seems really nice - don't think I've been up that way.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, the area is very nice, but look at TRIPADvISOR.com for very recent comments. If you do not live here, be very wary of "nice pix" on the internet, because (I hate to say this), but every fleabag hotel has "nice" pictures. There have been previous threads on this topic...check them out. Good luck!
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The area is very nice. It's a half a block away from the 1 train, which you can hop on and go the theatre district and be there in about 8 minutes.

There's a Starbucks next door.

The facade of the hotel is nice, but I've never been inside, so I don't know what it's like in there.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
tinymagic: I'm totally aware of that because I've seen plenty of pictures of "nice" places that have gotten negative comments. I'll check it out, thanks!
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A friend of mine booked a room there once...he said he lasted 20 minutes inside,and looked for another hotel. He mentioned it was infested with roaches, there was some sort of spill on the bed and the toilet wasn't even flushed...ew.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Millie, you should try the Broadway Hotel instead. It's on 98th/99th and Broadway, and that one I have been inside. It's very nice.
-Kad

thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Millie_Listen to BLAXX
You DO NOT want to get bedbugs. Even though I live here, I think it's better to pay a bit more, and make SURE the place is CLEAN.
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's gross. Better warn my cousin tomorrow before she books a room.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Real-estate trend in Manhattan over the past 10 years: Tenement buildings that became welfare hotels kick out the welfare recipients and upgrade to "boutique hotels."

Some of them have become very nice and some of then have NOT.

Caveat, as always but in this case even more so, emptor.
bwayfan3 Profile Photobwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My neighborhood too!
Marakech did definitely get an upgrade in the last year or two...used to be the HOtel Malibu which looked a little seedier. but I'm only talking about the facades and awnings...I have no idea what it looks like inside...although I do see people staying there walking in and out who seem pretty normal and satisfied.
I've known people who have stayed at the HOtel Newton (which is on Broadway and 95th I think) who sayed it was pretty decent. And the Lucerne on 79th and Amsterdam is also apparently pretty nice.