"At Long Last Love" on the big screen in San Fran, March 7th

nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"At Long Last Love" will be screened at The Castro Theatre in San Fran, on Friday March 7th at 11:50pm. It's a salute to Peter Bogdanovitch and his films. In addition to ALLL, "What's Up Doc?" "The Last Picture Show" and "Mask" will be screened in addition to some of his other films.

RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have this film on VHS. I recorded it back in 2000 when Cinemax ran it. It's a riot. I personally love it. I just wish I could get my hands on the soundtrack album. It would be a most welcome addition to my growing collection of out of print movie soundtracks.
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really like this movie, too. I taped it off of Showtime back in 2000 or so. But, it was an edited version, around 90 minutes. Then last year I got it on ebay and it's 118 minutes. But, I know that once the film was out and it flopped so fast, edited versions started playing in the movie houses. So, my version may not be complete.

I wish that the soundtrack would come out on cd. Look at how many "bad" movie musicals now have the soundtrack on cd......"Lost Horizon," "Mame," and others. I don't agree that they are "bad," by the way. Ha, ha....

I see the album from time to time on ebay.

Updated On: 2/6/08 at 05:36 PM
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Looks like there's one up for grabs on ebay and signed by John Hillerman! It reads: "To Gang - At long last a copy of this turkey. P.S. It was still fun to do. ~ John Hillerman 02/04/1978

COPY OF 'AT LONG LAST LOVE' SOUNDTRACK ON EBAY
Updated On: 2/6/08 at 05:53 PM
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you going to bid on it? Good luck!
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are two different versions of this movie. I saw it when it first came out and then I saw it on tv. Two different versions, both wonderfully bad.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I may just do that!

Take a look at this ad. This movie opened at Radio City Music Hall on my birthday (the day..not the year!)

re: 'At Long Last Love' on the big screen in San Fran, March 7th
Updated On: 2/6/08 at 06:11 PM
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whatever happened to Diulio Del Prete?
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whoops, according to imdb Mr. Del Prete passed away in 1998.
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Forgot to mention one thing, Peter Bogdanovich will be at The Castro Theatre for all of his films, and will do a Q&A before each film, as well.
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I flew up to San Fran this weekend and attended the Peter Bogdanovich film festival and saw "At Long Last Love" on Friday night. I have the film on dvd from ebay........pirated pan/scan copy as it's never been released on video or dvd. The version that I have is 121 minutes.

The version that screened at The Castro Theatre, was a shorter, edited version of the fim, with 3 musical numbers & scenes cut out. But, there was a musical number that my longer dvd version doesn't have. It's a song about ettiquette that Cybil S & Eileen B sing after they leave the race track.

I remember reading that when the film debuted and it was such a flop, the studios recut it and there's probably several versions of the film out there. But, back in those days, no one thought to save all that cut footage.

Yes, I know it's not the greatest musical in the world.........far from it. It never claimed to be that. There are parts of it that are very good. Then are parts of it where it just doesn't work. It's fun, a good time and it's visually stunning to look at......the crispness of the costumes, the Deco art direction, the cinematography, the Deco colors.......an eyeful to see.

Updated On: 3/9/08 at 06:30 PM
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This *needs* a DVD release.
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, this film does need to be released on dvd.......in it's original, full length version.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I love the opening credits with the two music box figure couples switching partners and dancing with each other.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
OnTheAisle Profile PhotoOnTheAisle Profile Photo
OnTheAisle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eileen Brennan & John Hillerman - absolutely perfect! This movie should DEFINITELY be re-released...
"Not a day goes by..."
jondouglas
Stand-by
Stand-by
Count me in, as well. This film needs to come out on dvd in it's full length, complete version.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this one on the big screen when it opened!

Yes, I was a child.

But still...

I'm OLD.

*cries*
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's hope it will come out on dvd!
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 12/1/09 at 05:40 PM
Pgenre Profile PhotoPgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kahn's "Find Me A Primitive Man".

Bad movie but some wonderful performances. I don't think it's any worse than RENT, btw and to use a recent example, as far as bad movie musicals go. Certainly it's better than THE PRODUCERS.

P
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't believe that whole thing is posted. I haven't seen that movie since the 70s.