GLAAD Alert: Protest John Gibson's Cruel and Tasteless Comments About Heath

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
Phone: (646) 871-8019 Email: creager@glaad.org

In the wake of Heath Ledger’s death, people around the world are mourning the gifted actor’s passing and are expressing their appreciation for how he changed hearts and minds with his Oscar-nominated role as a gay cowboy in 2005’s Brokeback Mountain.

In a stark and disturbing contrast, Fox News Radio host John Gibson cruelly mocked Ledger’s death and his role in Brokeback Mountain during his Jan. 22 John Gibson Show radio broadcast. During the show, Gibson played an audio clip from the film of Jake Gyllenhaal’s character, Jack, telling Ennis (played by Ledger), "I wish I knew how to quit you." Gibson then coldly quipped, "Well, he found out how to quit you." Then, after playing another audio clip from the movie of Ledger’s character saying, "We're dead," Gibson mockingly said, "We’re dead" and played the clip again.

"Gibson’s remarks are vulgar and disgusting,” said Rashad Robinson, GLAAD’s Senior Director of Media Programs. "It’s sickening that Gibson would exploit Heath Ledger’s tragic death to promote such hurtful intolerance. And to do so at a time when family and friends are grieving shows a level of insensitivity that is beyond the pale."

Beyond his mockery of Ledger’s role in Brokeback Mountain, Gibson called the actor a "weirdo" with "a serious drug problem," and callously speculated on the reasons Ledger might have committed suicide. Gibson had previously mocked Brokeback Mountain--calling it a "gay agenda movie" on his Fox News TV program in 2006.

Listen to Clip:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

Gibson’s Past Comments on Brokeback Mountain:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180499,00.html

TAKE ACTION NOW!

GLAAD: Fox News Host John Gibson Cruelly Mocks Heath Ledger's Death and his Role in Brokeback MountainContact: Cindi Creager, Director of National News
Updated On: 1/24/08 at 04:49 PM
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Keith Olbermann makes Fox News host John Gibson his "Worst Person in the World" for mocking the death of Heath Ledger on his radio show by playing the iconic "Why can’t I quit you?" quote from Brokeback Mountain:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22811536#22811536

Dan Abrams criticizes the Westboro Baptist Church for planning to picket Heath Ledger’s funeral and Fox News host John Gibson for using Brokeback Mountain to mock Ledger’s death:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22813005#22813005

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This does nothing to lessen my hatred of GLAAD. I wish some gays could quit GLAAD.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fascinating issue Scarborough brings up:

===

Later in the segment, after airing audio from Gibson's January 22 show, Scarborough asked: "Is he laughing that Heath Ledger died because he made a movie about two gay men? Is that why this young father dying was a punch line to John Gibson?" Geist replied: "Of course it is. That's the implication." Scarborough then asserted: "So, if you make a movie, this is now -- it's not that if you are gay, then your death is a punch line. If you make a movie about being gay, that's a punch -- your death becomes a punch line. ... This is -- I don't know who syndicates this guy, but that is absolutely stunning."
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
God help me that I'm agreeing with Scarborough, but that's precisely what bothered me about it. Not the comment itself, but the reason that drove him to say it.
Updated On: 1/24/08 at 05:10 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GLAAD has two unfortunate tendencies. 1) Its existence; and 2) that it keeps stupid crap like this alive long after its expiry date. You've got Keith making him the worst person in the world and Scabs calling him on it. That's great. Now, LET IT DIE.

But no. Not when GLAAD can get its initials out there for absolutely no reason.
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So you would rather have not had anyone from the gay media movement say anything about this?

I don't get why you are so against GLADD.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The Gay Media Movement"? Mary, puh-leeeze.

Joe Scarborough made the point more succinctly (and directly GAY) that the much more wordy, much more namby-pamby GLAAD could manage to do. And when they did finally tie in a gay angle it was about something Gibson said two years ago about a movie that had no visible input at any point by any actual out gay people.

The world has advanced far past the need for the existence of a piece of crap organization like GLAAD if Joe Scarborough is calling out idiots like Gibson and doing a much better job of it than GLAAD anyway.

THAT'S why.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"And to do so at a time when family and friends are grieving shows a level of insensitivity that is beyond the pale."

Why is it GLAAD's job to worry about Heath Ledger's family and friends? Where does that fit in their mission statement? How do they have enough money to afford a Senior Director of Media Programs and a Director of National News?

That they get funding anywhere is a not only a waste of money, it's embarassing.

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But don't you think Neil Giuliano is hot?
Updated On: 1/24/08 at 05:58 PM
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dont agree with you... but you obviously have your mind made up=-)
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Holy crap, what a tragic waste of limited resources. GLAAD also has a/an:

President
Senior Director of Development & Finance
Senior Director of Communications
Associate Director of Media Field Strategy
Media Field Strategist - West
Media Field Strategist - Central
Media Field Strategist - South
Media Field Strategist - North
Director Media Field Strategy
Media Research Manager
National Community Events Manager
National Associate Director of Membership & Promotions
National Associate Director of Major Gifts
National Senior Vice President
National Major Gifts Officer

Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good for them! Sounds like they are a well organized company
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Alas, they are a non-profit and not a "company." And there is no reason to justify their existence.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GLAAD's list of "Our Accomplishments" on its website are absolutely laughable and pathetic. The very first thing they list is WRONG:

GLAAD launches its "Save Ellen" letter-writing campaign aimed at keeping the historic show on the air. While Ellen is eventually cancelled, GLAAD mobilizes massive community support for the program.

GLAAD leaves out the fact that after "Ellen" was cancelled, GLAAD Senior Spokesidiot for Douchebaggery, Chastity "My Mom is CHER!" Bono said that "Ellen" got too political.

GLAAD coordinates meeting between actor/filmmaker Mel Gibson and nine up-and-coming lesbian and gay filmmakers.
How'd that work out, GLAAD?

After a six-month, GLAAD-led "Let Ellen Out" campaign, ABC announces that the title character on Ellen will come out as a lesbian on April 30, marking the first time in history that a lead television character is lesbian or gay.
SERIOUSLY? Time and money was SPENT on this?

Here's a favorite:

T.J. Maxx pulls an advertisement featuring a stereotypical gay fashion designer after GLAAD protests the company's perpetuation of hackneyed gay stereotypes. Both T.J. Maxx and its advertising company issue apologies.

Meanwhile, THE VERY NEXT YEAR:

In its 1998-1999 Where We Are on TV scoreboard, GLAAD praises the inclusion of four LGBT characters of color to the networks' fall lineup, as well as the premiere of NBC's Will & Grace.

No "hackneyed gay stereotypes" there, RIGHT GLAAD?

They suck so bad, I loathe them. They take ridiculous positions which they have no problem utterly contradcting immediately after taking them.

Updated On: 1/24/08 at 06:15 PM
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the hypocrisy of GLAAD far exceeds it's usefulness. as Namo said. Scarbourough made the point first, and made it better.
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
John Gibson FINALLY appologizes. I guess the pressure got to the suits at Fox. Does anyone actually believes this piece of $hit is sincere?
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm so glad, i'm so glad. i'm glad, i'm glad, i'm glad.

i don't know what to do, i don't know what to do, i don't know what to do.
i'm tired of weeping, i'm tired of moaning, i'm tired of crying for you.

i'm tired of weeping, i'm tired of moaning, i'm tired of groaning for you.
i don't know what to do, i don't know what to do, i don't know what to do.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I guess the pressure got to the suits at Fox."

Which GLAAD will add to its Accomplishments Page soon, I'm sure.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm glad.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Better glad than GLAAD, that's what I always say summa the time. Oh, hell, better dead than GLAAD, right Heath? If he were alive he'd kill himself watching them try to get some press inclusion over this.