Page: 1

subletting in NY

MaryMag
Understudy
Understudy
subletting in NY#1
Posted: 1/24/08 at 1:39pm
Figured there'd be some New Yorkers here who could help a sista out.

I'm trying to find housing for a summer intensive I'm attending in New York.

I've tried looking into summer student/intern housing but so many places have set dates for the start and end of their housing sessions. For example, most start on May 25th. My program starts on the 12th. So I'd have to crash in a hostel for 2 weeks beforehand, and move in to the nicer student/intern housing for 4 weeks, which seems somewhat pointless...

So if anyone knows of student/intern housing that has flexible move in dates, please let me know.

Otherwise, can anyone please advise me on how to perhaps sublet an apartment from an actor who is maybe leaving for summerstock? I plan on checking craigslist in March or April. What should I look for? What kind of prices should I expect? (I'm looking for something as close to Greenwich village as possible.) What kind of agreements are lawful/expected? What questions should I ask potential roommates? Any other good links people know of?

Thank you so much for any help you all may be able to give. I wish I could find a "living and existing in New York" forum!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: subletting in NY#2
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:31pm
If you want to take student housing and just need a few extra days before move-in date, you might want to stay at the YMCA. Their prices used to be decent, but they may have gotten crazy. The Y on the upper west side is right near Central Park, and the Vanderbilt Y, in the East 50s. I'm not sure if the Ys in the Village have places to stay, but you can certainly check their website.

As far as subletting, you might want to ask if it's a "legal" or "illegal" sublet. If it's illegal, you might be letting yourself in for a headache if the landlord finds out.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 1/24/08 at 04:31 PM
sweetdisaster Profile Photosweetdisaster Profile Photo
sweetdisaster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: subletting in NY#2
Posted: 1/24/08 at 4:48pm
I'm actually looking for the same thing.

A lot of schools in NY, like NYU, do it by the week, but I'm not sure when it starts. You're probably looking at spending more money if you're subletting a room for 3 months. I think it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to just find somewhere else for two weeks, and then move into intern/temp housing if price is your concern.

Have you checked out the 92nd St Y? I don't think they have set amounts of time, and you'd be able to stay there for the entire time. I know people who've gone there and liked it.
sweetdisaster Profile Photosweetdisaster Profile Photo
sweetdisaster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: subletting in NY#3
Posted: 1/28/08 at 7:17pm
bump?
matjomae Profile Photomatjomae Profile Photo
matjomae
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: subletting in NY#4
Posted: 1/28/08 at 11:45pm
Re: the 92nd Street Y, I haven't stayed there, but used to live 4 blocks away. Really great, neighborhood-y area.
"Take all of your so-called problems, better put them in quotations.." - JM
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: subletting in NY#5
Posted: 1/29/08 at 10:44am
Craigslist is a good spot--keep in mind tho, even in an illegal sublet situation, the landlord still has to give you 30 days notice under any circumstance.

I got my roommate of four years from there...if you want to stay near NYU or in the Village, you're looking at ALOT of money--at least $1000 a month if not way more. My rent is $450 a month and I live in DA HOOD in Bushwick Brooklyn, if that gives you an idea of rent scale.

Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: subletting in NY#6
Posted: 1/29/08 at 4:49pm
lildogs is back?

Hi!
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: subletting in NY#7
Posted: 1/29/08 at 4:52pm
Hi hon--you ever use those digits I gave you?