Page: 1

Go ONCE!

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Go ONCE!#1
Posted: 1/22/08 at 2:32pm
Yay hooray for Once getting an Oscar nomination for best song!
I was sorely disappointed when the film's music was overlooked by the Golden Globes. I'm thrilled to see it get this nomination. Falling Slowly is a beautiful song, and it really is central to the plot, not just accompanying the credits or something.

May it go on to win. And may there be a telecast of the awards so that people are introduced to the song!
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
xxnewgirlxx Profile Photoxxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#2
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:09pm
I get goosebumps when they perform it in the film. It's an amazing moment in cinematic history.

So simple and beautiful.
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#2
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:12pm
Absolutely! Literally the one nomination I was most excited to hear about. A gorgeous movie that deserves every accolade it gets (and has gotten).
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#3
Posted: 1/22/08 at 9:54pm
I LOVED that song. I thought most of the other songs were OK in the movie, some better than others, and I wasn't too big a fan of the ending, but "Falling Slowly" is GORGEOUS. I didn't even know that was "the song" everyone kept talking about when I watched it a couple of weeks, but that was the one I rewound three times to hear over and over. As much as I enjoyed the songs from Enchanted (especially "That's How You Know"), they come no where NEAR "Falling Slowly." Of course, I was sure Sweeney would get a best pic nod, so what do I know?
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#4
Posted: 1/22/08 at 10:07pm
You know, I have seen Atonement, There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men. ONCE packed more of an emotional wallop for me than all of those films combined. And the music was a huge part of that. I wish this film had received more recognition.
PEACE.
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#5
Posted: 1/23/08 at 2:29am
Amen Sueleen! I feel exactly the same way, especially in regards to the bafflingly overrated Atonement. I'm so glad this beautiful gem of a movie was recognized.
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#6
Posted: 1/23/08 at 4:00pm
As soon as I saw the movie, I had to own the soundtrack. The music adds so much to the movie that it's like a character in itself.

A filmmaker friend of mine said "nothing happens in the movie", which I disagree with heartily. The movie takes place over just a few days, really, and the course of each of their lives changes. I think it's beautiful.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
Salad_Fingers85 Profile PhotoSalad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Go ONCE!#7
Posted: 1/23/08 at 4:54pm
This was by far my favorite movie of the year. I literally screamed when I saw that it received a nomination!!! The simplicity of the movie is so perfect and wound in it is the music, I only wish all the songs could have been nominated, however, one is better than none :)
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#8
Posted: 1/23/08 at 5:14pm
It was definitely my favorite movie in recent memory, and absolutely goes to show that money can't buy a great movie. The entire thing was made for only about $160,000!
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Go ONCE!#9
Posted: 1/23/08 at 5:25pm
I just watched it last night. It is utterly charming and uplifting. A wonderful film, with a well-deserved nomination. It is the kind of song that should win, regardless of whether or not it is the "best" song. As flowery mentioned, it is central to the plot and integral to the film as a whole.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near