HAIRSPRAY Got A Nomination For Best Song!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HAIRSPRAY Got A Nomination For Best Song!#1
Posted: 1/22/08 at 9:33am
"Come So Far (Got So Far to Go)" from "Hairspray"
3 Oscar Noms for SWEENEY, 1 for HAIRSPRAY - Complete List
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
According to BWW. I believe this is inaccurate.
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
there are 5 noms, not 6. According to Oscar.com Hairspray did not get a nod. Who fact checks these articles?
....but the world goes 'round
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's not what it says oscar.com.
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Belated wishful thinking, perhaps?
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can you play football with a cast?
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
James885 Profile PhotoJames885 Profile Photo
James885
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I'm looking at the list on the Academy's website and Hairspray isn't among the nominees for Best Song.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 1/22/08 at 09:43 AM
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
3 noms for Enchanted seems a little much. I don't even remember three songs being in the movie.
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, that's a misleading story on BWW. At least, it seems to be.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Misleading?

No, it's inaccurate.

Five songs nominated, not SIX:

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Falling Slowly" from "Once"
"Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted"
"Raise It Up" from "August Rush"
"So Close" from "Enchanted"
"That's How You Know" from "Enchanted"
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/22/08 at 09:55 AM
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Leave it to BroadwayWorld to plug Hairspray even when it is false.
ClumsyDude15 Profile PhotoClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember all of those songs from Enchanted, but yeah, three is pushing it. Hairspray should have gotten one for COME SO FAR..
But, what can you do.

I loved "Thats How You Know." and "Working Song" but "So Close"---> Oscar nominated? Sure, it was cute, but the other two were much better.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is just plain mean.
We love you anyway, Marc. Menken and Scwhartz are Oscar whores. re: HAIRSPRAY Got A Nomination For Best Song!
PEACE.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I don't think Come So Far was very good at all. It sounded rather 80s (which I suppose is fine, since it ran over the end credits) and I didn't think there was anything lyrically or musically special about it.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought it was OK, but I thought Oscar rules say that the song must be part of a scene integral to the film- they specifically rule out songs that just run over the ending credits.

Of course, looking at the winners in recent years, half of them just run over the ending credits.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I thought it was OK, but I thought Oscar rules say that the song must be part of a scene integral to the film- they specifically rule out songs that just run over the ending credits.

I don't think that's the case, unless the rules have been changed. I can think of four or five songs off the top of my head that ran only in the end credits and got a nod.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Joe: The rule is that the song has to be integral to the film or be the first song during the credits.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yep Priest it took repeated googling to find it:

"An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits."

although it also says "The measure of the work’s qualification shall be its effectiveness, craftsmanship, creative substance and relevance to the dramatic whole."

No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yep. I didn't realize that, but according to the updated rules concerning placement in the film, "Come So Far" would not have been eligible.
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why bestie?

"Come So Far" was the first credit music cue.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought there was something else before it.

Maybe other people did too. Was that just a REALLY long intro?

EDIT:

...and was it played anywhere else in the film instrumentally prior to the credits "tack on?"

I have to say, I agree with the rule change. If you want to just paste a song on the end of a movie, and there is no thematic integration prior, I personally wouldn't vote for it either. Even if it is "eligible." They should move away from that.
Updated On: 1/22/08 at 02:01 PM
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Especially since the award is supposed to honor the song that best enhances the film it's in. I'm not sure how a song that is only heard after the movie is over does that.
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Go "Falling Slowly" from Once!
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"You Can't Stop The Beat" ends, and immediately following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQL2RSZZusE
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, "Falling Slowly" FTW.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.