Page: 1

Scores for THERE WILL BE BLOOD, INTO THE WILD, and ENCHANTED Deemed Ineligable for Oscars

BustopherPhantom Profile PhotoBustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So Jon McLaughlin won't have a chance to sing at the Oscars?

Dangit!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile PhotoWiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is ridiculous...ENCHANTED and INTO THE WILD I can kinda understand but THERE WILL BE BLOOD had the best score of the year...

Guess this is ATONEMENT's award to lose now.
Current Avatar: Cynthia Erivo, bringing down the house in The Color Purple.
HorseTears Profile PhotoHorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yup sad news for Jonny Greenwood who probably had this one in the bag. Well, after the success of his recent BBC commissions and this incredible score, he'll always have a backup plan if Radiohead calls it quits. Which they better not. Ever.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While I am upset about it, I'm sure Greenwood doesn't care at all. He and Radiohead have never really been about being part of the establishment.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has this been confirmed besides on someones blog?
PEACE.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That post made me long for the days when writers were charged with reporting the "five W's" and not just rambling run on sentences that brag how long they knew it before they decided to spill it.

Does anyone who speaks english want to explain what the story is?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They're on the L.A. Times site for the Oscars as well... as "reportedly" ineligible too. (whatever that means)
The Envelope
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks besty- That I could understand. It's stupid (especially for Enchated), but I at least understood it!
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I posted this comment on the subject on the "predictions" thread, but I'll move it over here:

Time to resurrect the "Best Original Song Score or Adapted Score" from years ago.

It would have allowed for Blood, Sweeney, Hairspray, Enchanted and others to have competed in their own (mixed) category.

Which is a lot better than just "ineligible."
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So they gave Bill Conti the Oscar for Best Score for his largely unorginal score for THE RIGHT STUFF, but deem Jonny Greenwood's score for THERE WILL BE BLOOD ineligible. Idiotic, as per the Academy standard.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I always thought the Bill Conti score was "questionable" as Original, and maybe that's when they clarified the rules a bit more.

He should have won for Rocky. But I remember being shocked when he won for The Right Stuff. It's good, but aside from being a direct "steal" from Holtz's "The Planets" (hell, so was STAR WARS for that matter), some of it wasn't original. I guess "most" of it was, though?

Whatevah.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A good deal of THE RIGHT STUFF score is lifted from Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.

Whatevah indeed.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just as long as "Once" is in the running for best song, I'm happy.

GO ONCE!
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love "Falling Slowly" and some of the other ONCE songs, but I don't think that anything beats INTO THE WILD's "Guaranteed." Such a great song.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really don't understand the idea that scores which feature original songs would not be considered, especially since they are in essence, still scores. Either way, they are music written specifically for the film, songs or not. The idea that a film score cannot be deemed eligible because it features original songs as part of the film is as absurd as The English Patient or A Beautiful Mind winning Best Picture. The Academy are wack, yo.

I tried to watch Once and couldn't get through the first 20 minutes. Generic nondescript emo songs sung by angst-ridden self-proclaimed Bohemian artists. I saw that daily at the university theatre department. No thank you.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What was THERE WILL BE BLOOD adapted from?
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THERE WILL BE BLOOD features the Brahms Violin Concerto over the end credits, along with a beautiful piece called "Fratres" by an Estonian composer named Arvo Part that is worked into the score of the film itself, and at least one string piece by Jonny Greenwood that was not written specifically for the film.
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've posted this on other threads, but i can't elt anyone get away unscathed. The score for There Will be Blood was an utter disaster. Anyone with basic composition skills could have provided a better score. It was painful in every single way possible. It distracted me so much from the film that I lost the story at moments.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought the score to THERE WILL BE BLOOD was excellent, a splendid accompaniment to the story, thrilling and moving. I have downloaded the soundtrack album, and have listened to it several times, each time with pleasure.

Of course, I may feel differently after seeing the film a few more times.