Vitamins question

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vitamins question#1
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:32pm
How's this for off-topic?

Anyway, if you buy vitamins in a store such as Duane Reade, Walgreen's, etc. are they as effective as those bought from a health/vitamin store? Anyone know?

I'm not sure vitamins work but my doctor just ordered me to get Vitamin D.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#2
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:34pm
They are all the same.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#2
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:35pm

USANA vitamins are great!!
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#3
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:40pm
I kind of thought so, Diva. Good. In other words, we pay for the label at the health/vitamin stores.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#4
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:40pm
Can you get us a discount?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#5
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:43pm
I can on the USANA if you are really interested...
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#6
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:45pm
I thought they were all the same?
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#7
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:45pm
Costco is usually cheaper.....
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#8
Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:48pm
Oh how I wish there were a costco near me....
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#9
Posted: 1/17/08 at 4:01pm
if you're in Manhattan, there is one less than 4 miles away......
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#10
Posted: 1/17/08 at 4:10pm
I don't believe all vitamins are created equal.

Some are molecularly distilled (supposedly better for you).

Some are absorbed more completely by the body.

Some are organic, some not.

That being said, Trader Joe's has the cheapest & highest quality that I've found.
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#11
Posted: 1/17/08 at 4:11pm
that's good to know, Cheno.

Elph-Do you mean the costco in Brooklyn? Don't you need a car?
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#12
Posted: 1/17/08 at 4:22pm
Centrum, One a Day and most generic store brand vitamins promote healthy sewers! Allow me to 'splain..

First, they sit on the shelf for months from manufactoring to consumption losing what little potency they once had as a fresh product. Secondly, a very small amount of the nutrients are absorbed into your body before it is expelled through your digestive system and kidneys, practically in the same form as they were digested. They simply don't break down in your body quickly.

Test: put what you take in a glass of water and come back hours later. You'll be surprised to see most of the whole product intact. Sure,stomach acids break down faster than plain water, but not a much as you might think.

I went from Centrum, to GNC products to Melaleuca, a company who manufacture many products including their vitamins and minerals with a frutose compounding, which is a patented process, proven to break down in your body within 20 min. and disperses completely. When doing the water test, they are completely dissolved in about 1 hour. You ar getting 100% of the vitamin. And they sell thousands of these direct from their manufacturing company to customers within a few weeks of being made.

After years of being a vitamin consumer, I am sold on their supplement line and have been on them for 12 years. I've never felt so well overall. My immune system is in top shape. I attribute much of this to this formula. I even put my 13 yr. old Springer Spaniel on their glucosamine 5 years ago and he's doing amazingly well! They even have a 60 challange...take them as directed for 60 days, keep your recepit, if you're not happy they will offer you a product credit to use for any products.

I strongly suggest you research your sources and do your homework before you throw money down the toilet...literally.

There are a handful of good vitamin companies that sell supplements direct to consumers in various forms, liquid and now sprays. Just check the content and the quality. Yes, Some are much better than others. Find quality products that work for you ...and don't overdose!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 04:22 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#13
Posted: 1/17/08 at 4:34pm
Interesting, PB! And where can you get the Melaleuca brand?
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#14
Posted: 1/17/08 at 5:04pm
Jane, you can order direct from the company online or by phone and pay retail....or you can become a preferred customer (with monthly min. purchase requirements) and get their whole product line at a discount. I spend about $70 a month for me & hubby for all our supplements and it's worth it to us.

I've use their safe cleaning product line with tea tree oil for as many years and love 'em too!

If you decide you like them enough to switch your buying habits, I can show you how to get your products for free...like me! No, I'm not schlepping products... they're really that worthwhile, imo. Check them out. Website is http://www.melaleuca.com
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 1/17/08 at 05:04 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#15
Posted: 1/17/08 at 5:06pm
I checked them out already! Since I'm in a rush for these vitamins, I may go to the vitamin store on my corner, and browse the different brands, ask some questions. When I have more time, I'll give it more thought. thanks so much!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#16
Posted: 1/17/08 at 11:01pm
One time I heard T. Barry Brazelton, MD on TV in the early '80s, or maybe it was an article, ANYWAY, he recommended Solgar V multi-vitamins and I have taken one every day for approximately 27 years. So that's the brand I love, only available in health food stores.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#17
Posted: 1/17/08 at 11:03pm
I'll check out Solgar tomorrow at the vitamin store.
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#18
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:10am
All vitamins are not the same just like a generic form of a prescription medication is not the same. For some people it doesn't make a difference, their body will break it down and absorb it well; but for others that is not the case. You can always ask your doctor to recommend a good brand. My doctor put me on a certain brand; I stopped taking them and bought a cheaper brand. The generic brand didn't work at all; my body never broke it down. Sometimes it is worth paying a little more. drcity.com is run by a D.O. i see in NY (I live in ATL- he is very good) and he sells good quality vitamins online, prices are reasonable.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#19
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:20am
I know what you mean about some people with generics, sesot. I'm one of them-my body can tell the difference. I always pay more for the original. Perhaps that's an indication that I need the more expensive vitamins.
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#20
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:27am
Jane I would definitely be careful if you have a history of problems with generic prescription medications. Even though the generic initially costs less; if it doesn't work you will end up having to buy a different brand anyways and spending even more money. Sometimes it is just worth it to pay more money up front.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Vitamins question#21
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:30am
Definitely! That's what I decided to do!

Thanks for your input, everyone who replied on this thread.