Foreign Language Film Oscar: Nine finalists chosen...

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From the 63 foreign language films considered, the following nine films will advance to the next round of voting.

Listed in alphabetical order by country:

Austria, "The Counterfeiters," Stefan Ruzowitzky, director

Brazil, "The Year My Parents Went on Vacation," Cao Hamburger, director

Canada, "Days of Darkness," Denys Arcand, director

Israel, "Beaufort," Joseph Cedar, director

Italy, "The Unknown," Giuseppe Tornatore, director

Kazakhstan, "Mongol," Sergei Bodrov, director

Poland, "Katyn," Andrzej Wajda, director

Russia, "12," Nikita Mikhalkov, director

Serbia, "The Trap," Srdan Golubovic, director

Link
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm shocked that Persepolis didn't make the cut!
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nope. France didn't make the top nine, even.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So are THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY and THE KITE RUNNER out of the running? No LA VIE EN ROSE?
I'm always a bit confused when it comes to this category, can never remember if they can only be nominated for Best Picture OR Foreign Language film, or not. Anyone care to enlighten me?
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hm--odd line-up....you think it's Andrzej Wajda? Even though he got that honorary a while back?

He's the only name in the group--or will they go with Israel?
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know I don't get out much, but I haven't seen any of these finalists.

As for La Vie En Rose... France submitted Persepolis instead as their entry.

Diving Bell isn't eligible in this category, and I can't remember why. They're really pushing that heavily in the campaign out here... "Eligible in ALL categories EXCEPT Foreign Language Film."

Not sure about Kite Runner's eligibility here.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Here's an article that takes issue with the wacky rules when it comes to Foreign Language Film submissions...

EDIT: And actually the rule that they're bitching about in this article I completely agree with. It should not be eligible in this category if over 50 percent of the dialogue is in English.

"Tough toenails!" as they say in any country.

But I think some of the trouble has to do with a single country submitting. It used to be easier before our "modern world" got smaller. Films would be made by one country and one studio. As we all know, these days films are made by multiple studios... AND multiple countries. So some films don't qualify because (example) Germany submits it, but most of the dialogue is in Italian, and Italy submits a different film, so it's not eligible. That sort of thing.

LINK
Updated On: 1/15/08 at 05:51 PM
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's all kinds of nonsense involved with this category...but the Academy tends to go for the films that aren't as well known in this category, like they do in Documentary as well.

Ex: LIVES OF OTHERS over PAN'S
NO MAN'S LAND over AMELIE
BELLE EPOQUE over FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE and WEDDING BANQUET
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A lot of that has to do with the fact that in order to vote for this (as well as some of the doc/shorts categories), you must have seen all the eligible films.

Can't say that's true (or even humanly possible) in the other categories.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If the movie was any good it would be in English. Why do we even reward these things anyway? Foreign movies come here to take jobs away from American films.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Atta boy, Joe. Tell it like it is.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay, I'm so ignorant that I didn't even realize there was only one submission per country. That's why I was surprised that LA VIE EN ROSE wasn't being considered, it has that Oscar-ish arrogance about it.
I'm completely lost when it comes to this category. Still hoping to see my country make it into that list one day... something tells me I'll be hoping till my dying day.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you Besty! Someone needs to say it! I hate those reviews in the New York Times when they go on an on about some "Brilliant" French author and I think "If they are so smart why don't they learn to speak English??"
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the "one submission per country" rule needs to change, but they're holding onto it in order to make sure that ALL submissions are actually reviewed by the committee members for nomination.

If you take away this rule, you dump a gazillion movies worldwide that no one person could actually review into their laps.

At least this way, the country does its own choosing first (kinda like the Miss Universe Pageant, don'tcha know!), and then the committee reviews ALL of them, has an evening gown competition, and crowns the nominees... then the voters (who've at least seen the five nominees) get to pick the winner!

It' probably as fair and as "realistic" as it's ever going to be.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wasn't DIVING BELL made by an American?
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
America would still "count" as a country, since the category is Foreign LANGUAGE film, not Foreign Film.

So, any U.S. film that's NOT in English would be eligible to be the (lone) American submission for consideration.

According to IMDb.com's company credits, Diving Bell was co-produced by the U.S. and France. But looking at all the production company credits most of them are French, not American... so I'm thinking it was ruled that France would have to submit it (possibly?), and they didn't. They chose Persepolis.

Either that, or they couldn't figure out which country could or should submit it, and so they just ruled it ineligible. I'll see if I can dig around and find out why it was blocked.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, I'm finding that it was more "strategic" which kinda makes sense.

Diving Bell was ruled to be "mostly" a French production, so France would have had to submit it.

And it sounds like some are suggesting that the French selection committee felt it was a strong enough film to garner Oscar nominations in several other categories, so they submitted Persepolis, which many loved, but didn't feel it would cross over to other categories.

Strange strategy, but I can see the "business logic" of it. If they thought that highly of Diving Bell, they should have submitted it.

Honestly? I'm guessing that they felt it wasn't entirely a "French" film, so they didn't want to take the heat for submitting a partially American film to an American Awards committee.

I think THAT makes more sense.
HorseTears Profile PhotoHorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone know what film Romania submitted? I kind of expected to see 4 Month, 3 Weeks and 2 Days nominated, but perhaps it hasn't officially opened yet?
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Farewell, My Concubine is a glorious film.
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was thinking of this thread last night- why waste time watching (reading) foreign films? If they are even half-decent they remake them in English! And then, they are always better! Swept Away, Taxi, Three Men & a Baby, Birdcage...they all had to be better than the hard to understand versions.
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know if it was submitted but I would have really liked to see The Orphanage on the list.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You're funny, Joe, but you're also scaring me.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Funny, but scary, like Carol Channing. That is all I can hope for.
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The rule about the movie having to be in a foreign language is outdated, IMHO. Take for example Israel's original entry, which was denied - it took place in Israel, and the lead characters were Egyptian soldiers and Israelis. How were they supposed to talk to each other? In Russian?

This is not to say I'm not thrilled that Israel's second entry (we were allowed to enter a different movie once this one was disqualified) is on the list. I hope it gets a nomination!
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, the category is Best Foreign Language Film... so they're not going to change anything to do with it being in a Foreign Language.

The problem is that over 50 percent of that film was in English... in other words, NOT a foreign language.

The BAFTAs (British Academy Awards) have the same thing, but they call it BEST FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

To be honest, it's getting less and less "PC" each year to use the word "Foreign." When referring to non-U.S. countries, Hollywood seems to be switching to the more PC term "International." Perhaps when referring to language the category should be changed to Best Non-English Language Film. Or just use the British name for the category.