Your favorite theater games?

Popular Profile PhotoPopular Profile Photo
Popular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your favorite theater games?#1
Posted: 1/15/08 at 3:07pm
Hi guys -

I've been asked to teach/play theater games with 3rd-5th graders once a week.

I'm researching different ones that might be good for their age group but was curious to find out what some of your favorites are.

Any suggestions?
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your favorite theater games?#2
Posted: 1/15/08 at 3:10pm
for that age group- try sitting them all in a room, and one by one, they have to pick an object in the room, it can by anything, as long as it is visible in the room, and then they have to pretend they are that object.

sort of like charades with speaking

the other classmates have to guess what object they are characterizing
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your favorite theater games?#2
Posted: 1/15/08 at 3:13pm
let's see.

oh, there's a fun game that works on cooperation within a group. basically, the group counts to 21. - one by one. they count chronologically. Anyone can say the next number whenever they want to, but if more than one person says the number at the same time, you have to start all over.

it's a lot more fun and challenging than it sounds.

if you have any questions, let me know. I may not have explained it very well.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 1/15/08 at 03:13 PM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your favorite theater games?#3
Posted: 1/15/08 at 3:14pm
We played Company, which was an improv/What's My Line? type game in which there was a Host and three guests. Each guest had a different job or role or whatever that the host had to guess.

Another one was Heroes. I don't remember that one quite as much, except, again, there was 3 heroes and a host, and the host had to guess which hero was which. I remember I was Gopher man once.

There was also a sound effects game. Two people sat on chairs while two other people improvised a scene and had to react to the sounds the sitting people made.

Good times!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your favorite theater games?#4
Posted: 1/15/08 at 3:16pm
I forgot that these are for young kids...

We played George Said sometimes. One person was George, and everyone stood in the empty room. When George said a number, we had to split into groups of that number and everyone that wasn't in a group lost.

It wasn't very theatrical, but it was fun.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Popular Profile PhotoPopular Profile Photo
Popular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your favorite theater games?#5
Posted: 1/15/08 at 3:22pm
these sound like great suggestions! Keep them coming...

thanks so much. I'll let you know which ones I did and how they went over with the kids. I'm finding some fun ones online as well!