Has Anyone Ever Heard Of The Giant Squid?

worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has Anyone Ever Heard Of The Giant Squid?#1
Posted: 1/15/08 at 2:17pm
So last night while I was watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I was flipping around to see what else was on(not because I hated TSCC, but because I was interested to see what was on after. So, I'm looking at what's on Discovery and it said Giant Squid, to which I thought maybe it was something talking about a mythical creature that no one's seen.

I was wrong because I looked at the information on the show and it was about how Japanese researchers were able to photograph for the first time, the Giant Squid. I did not know this thing existed and the photos have been around for a couple of years and you can't tell by the photos but this thing is supposed to be huge.

They say it's roughly 25 ft long. The Squid was able to free itself but it left one of it's tentacles behind. I think that is really freaky that there is something like this living in the ocean.

All I can say is that I'm afraid to swim in the ocean now, especially near Japan.

Here are the photos:

wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had fried giant calamari with hot sauce. Very tasty.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What, so you think Jules Verne just made all that stuff up?
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was a pretty big story when they finally got the photo a few years ago (well, big story in science news terms).

But even before that, they were known to exist because they'd seen dead ones. The photograph was just the first time people had seen a live one.

The kraken lives!
worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Am I the only one that didn't know these things existed? I had assumed they were myths and things out of science fiction, I never knew they actually existed.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I watch a lot of those nature/animal shows. That squid may be an especially large one, because I've seen a few shows on giant squids in general and they look just like the ones in the fish market, just huge! I love things like this-on tv, that is!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the story about the squid on one of the news shows.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've seen shows on Discovery Channel that have talked about the Giant Squid
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yup, knew about when the first news stories aired.....
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Am I crazy or does this Giant Squid look a little like Sherrie Rene Scott?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
MisterRussell Profile PhotoMisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Shoot, Worrell, what cave did you just emerge from?
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Heard Of The Giant Squid?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A dead washed up on the east coast of Tasmania a few years ago, coming in around 30 feet long.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
defygravity2 Profile Photodefygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Each year I dissect squid with my fifth graders, and this was HUGE news! A live squid had never been filmed before (though scientist had evidence of their existence). After almost 16 years of teaching a live one had never been spotted, I had to change my PowerPoint to include this news....most of my kids had seen the tv special, so it wasn't such big news to them. I was so excited to finally see one.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There've actually been quite a few dead ones found. This one is 55 feet long and was found in Newfoundland in 2001:

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Joshua488
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, yes. People have seen dead giant squid that washed ashore, but it wasn't until very recently (the photos that worrell posted) that a giant squid had been seen alive.

Ew, I had calamari at dinner today. I didn't like it. And this thread solidifies it.
zooxanthellae Profile Photozooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
They actually discovered a species of squid larger than the giant squid recently: The Colossal Squid (no joke!)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070222-squid-pictures.html
ElphieDefiesGravity Profile PhotoElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The giant squid is my favorite animal! It makes me want to be a marine biologist.
"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.
Taryn Profile PhotoTaryn Profile Photo
Taryn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Giant squids, no joke, scare the crap out of me. Something about the vulnerability of being in the water with something like that... But they're absolutely fascinating at the same time. But I think anything of that size and elusiveness would be.
One Song Glory Profile PhotoOne Song Glory Profile Photo
One Song Glory
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, giant squids are said to only live in the deepest of oceans, and I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been any confirmed case of a giant squid ever attacking a human before, so I don't think there's anything to worry about.
I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Right. That's why they've only seen dead squids (up till now). The living animals live so deep in the ocean that we just don't cross paths with them.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Has Anyone Ever Heard Of The Giant Squid?"

I dated him in college.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
doodle wins
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought that was the giant octopus?
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"doodle wins"

that's what I said in college!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS