Page: 1

Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?

millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#1
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:25pm
I know this post is totally random, but I am thinking of studying abroad there next semester. Has anyone been, specifically Auckland? How is it, what would you recommend doing, etc. Thanks!
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#2
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:50pm
Umm i went, about 10-11 years ago, so my memory is pretty vague (plus i wasn't there for very long) but if you can check out a maori area that's pretty interesting. that's really outside of auckland though Auckland itself, as i remember is a pretty normal city. they have some touristy things (a tower, space needle like). But yeah, we didn't do a ton there most of our time was spent outside the city.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#2
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:52pm
My question is where is old Zealand?

EDIT: Zealand is the largest island in Denmark.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 1/10/08 at 12:52 PM
Tom1071 Profile PhotoTom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#3
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:54pm
I hear there are no snakes there.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#4
Posted: 1/11/08 at 7:45pm
I went there on a family trip in January 2005. I LOVED IT. We stayed in Auckland for 3 days before getting on the cruise ship.

NZ is just different enough to be exciting, but just familiar enough to be comfortable.

Be sure to go to the Sky Tower. You don't have to do the bungee jump, but it's fun to just look out at the view.

http://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/skycity/auckland/sky-tower/sky-tower_home.cfm
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 1/11/08 at 07:45 PM
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#5
Posted: 1/11/08 at 7:51pm
New Zealand is without a doubt the most gorgeous place I have ever been, or really even seen in pictures. The entire country looks like it's been put through Photoshop to have the colors brightened up.

I spent most of my time there in Rotorua and smaller towns, but the day or so I spent in Auckland was very pleasant. If you get a chance to visit the Agrodome, absolutely do. It's like Disneyland... except with sheep. Oh, and they do bungee jumping there too, just for the hell of it. Odd in the best way.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#6
Posted: 1/11/08 at 8:14pm
Agree with Scott, New Zealand it has fjords, glaciers, hot springs with mud..
Auckland is a nice city. It was a while that I went. Saw some theater,just missed the Rolling Stones.
Went to Mount Cook and Queenstown. One of the young women who posts here is from New Zealand maybe she'll pop in.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Updated On: 1/11/08 at 08:14 PM
obsessedjb Profile Photoobsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#7
Posted: 1/11/08 at 8:28pm
I went to New Zealand for a week in November and it was amazing. I spent three days in Queenstown and went bungy jumping there. Then I made my way to the North Island and did a Kiwi Experience tour to Rotorua and some other small town--I can't for the life of me remember what it was called and then ended up in Auckland. I remember this adorable little park that I walked to near the university and of course the Sky Tower. I loved the South Island a lot more just because it is much prettier (at least I thought so) but overall I loved NZ.
Urban Profile PhotoUrban Profile Photo
Urban
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#8
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:37am
<>son_of_a_gun_25 - New Zealand is actually named after the southern Dutch provence of Zeeland, not the island in Denmark.

Anyhoo. I have been to New Zealand but it was a three hour stop over on a flight from Brisbane to LA, so I wouldn't really count it. It was at the height of the LoTRs mania though and the airport gift shops where full of that crap.

I did get to watch back-to-back episodes of "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" on the airport tele though!
wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photowickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#9
Posted: 1/13/08 at 1:36am
I'm moving to New Zealand in 32 Days! I'm doing my full degree at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch (South Island). I can't wait!
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#10
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:20am
I have not been yet.

But I will be staying for 6 days in and around Christchurch Feb 23-29.

In my reading I have determined that NZ is worth a long stay of its own instead of a side trip from Oz. This sounds like a terrific place to travel in depth.

Next time it will be 3 weeks in NZ and a week in Oz instrad of the other way around.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#11
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:22am
Everyone I know who's been there has fallen deeply in love it.
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#12
Posted: 1/15/08 at 6:17pm
Sorry to bump this up now, but thanks for your replies everyone!
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#13
Posted: 1/15/08 at 9:01pm
actually we have one or two BWW members from NZ, I do believe
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
nztheatreluva Profile Photonztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#14
Posted: 1/16/08 at 12:50am
Well yes in fact I've spent every day except for 5 months of my life in Auckland. I would say, as a city it's not particularly exciting, although it's pretty, but the rest of new Zealand is great. I would say go for a road trip around New Zealand if you want to get the best of it(I know that might sound crazy but you can drive all around the country in a few weeks). Also come in our summer(which is now) because that's when you'll get the best of Auckland, especially if you want to visit the beach. If you're more interested in skiing or something, come later on in the year

Obsessedjb-I think the park you are talking about is Albert Park - with the flower clock in?

If you wanna know anything else, just ask!
J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Has Anyone Ever Been to New Zealand?#15
Posted: 1/16/08 at 12:46pm
nz, she/he will be coming for school, so....doubt he/she will have three weeks to drive around, or be able to select when they come.
Either way Millie, it's the experience of a lifetime, "just do it"........no reason to even think about it!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956