Page: 1

Farm Subsidies: The Other Sacred Cow

javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Farm Subsidies: The Other Sacred Cow#1
Posted: 1/9/08 at 1:11pm
Once again the leading contenders to the White House are dancing around this age-old American political hot potato during the primary cycle. It's worth noting that all the De contenders s are fully in support of more evenly distributing the subsidies to include more small- and medium sized farms as well as placing a reasonable cap on subsidies for corporate agribusinesses. Of the GOP, only McCain has come out against these subsidies on principle.

Digressing slightly, new reports indicate that ethanol produced from prairie (switch) grass can be produced somewhat more competitively than it's corn-based counterpart.

Granted farm subsidies and biofuels ain't the sexiest of topics but doesn't anyone here agree that the leading candidates for the executive office ought to be compelled to speak to the issues in the primary debates given that most of the subsidies go to major corporations (not actual farmers) and the practice runs counter to the notion of a free-market economy that the GOP rank-and-file advocates?

This is another reason I'd vote for McCain if I were a registered Republican. I respect the fact that the man is principled.
The GOP on Farm Subsidies
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Farm Subsidies: The Other Sacred Cow#2
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:59am
This thread is obviously gaining no traction here which OK. I encourage each of you to peep the breakdown of farm subsidies on a per-state basis at the link below. IMO it explains why this is one topic that will never make the IA caucuses debate. It's a relatively safe topic for a SC debate though because 75% of SC farmers don't get them.
Who Gets The Subsidies
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.