i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#27
Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:54am
Dave Barry is the only pundit who should be allowed to pund.

See link and laugh.
Dave Barry: Real candidates belch ...
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#28
Posted: 1/10/08 at 11:46am
And pisses in your beer when you are not looking ...
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#29
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:35pm
i know you guys are being a bit silly and probably all recognize this and are just having a bit of fun here, but being that i am feeling ridiculously literal today i'll take a poke at this.

the reason they vote for someone they "could have a beer with" is of course that they feel in some way - almost always wrongly - that such a quality means that the person understands their problems from having shared them. rather than a visceral dislike of the smartest kid in the room, it's more a hope that one of them could really make it. it's a desperate desire to find someone in power for whom the daily grind of life in america is real. they're not trying to avoid the eggheads, but they see them as people who've made it out of their world and who do not personally identify with their problems.

now intellectually we all know around here that anyone - anyone - who makes it to the stage of national politics is not a regular joe or jane. it's just not possible in this day and age for that to happen. but i think that a lot of people still are clinging to the belief that it is possible. so they look for someone who speaks their vernacular, who talks about their issues and who manages to convey at least some experience with which they can personally relate.

it's all well and good to sit back here and say, "well, those are morons and they shouldn't have any say in who governs the country because they are clearly too stupid to be involved." but the fact of the matter is that there's as many or more of them than there are of us smarty pantses so the goal should be to find a candidate who bridges both: a reasonably intelligent bumpkin who has managed to leave his bigotry behind but who is not more than one generation removed from the working class.

why was clinton such a good politician? because he was a bumpkin who also happened to be a rhodes scholar. but he udnerstood that the majority of people in america want a leader with whom they can identify. they don't want someone who talks down to them, but rather someone who can ecpress their lofty ideals in ways that they can understand and appreciate. they want someone who they feel will listen to them, understand them and - if possible - someone who's been through something similar.

complain about it all ya want, but as long as we're a country with the dropout rate we've got we're loooking for a guy like us (well not me personally, but you get what i mean).
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 1/10/08 at 12:35 PM
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#30
Posted: 1/10/08 at 1:25pm
u make a heap of sense 2 me papa!
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#31
Posted: 1/11/08 at 12:14pm
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#32
Posted: 1/11/08 at 12:39pm
Papa, I don't disagree with a thing you said.

But how do we move ourselves out of that mindset? I believe it's all about education...and opportunity.

Which is why I'm all for national service. I believe every single 18 year old must serve this country for at least three years. Service, of course, can be in the military. But it should also include working in high risk schools. Or working in programs that allow children to expand their horizons through sports, art, music, dance, math, etc. No one is exempt. And after those three years, every single person should be given the opportunity for a free state-college education. Those who can afford more can, of course, go to private institutions. And those who choose not to go, well...that's fine, too.

This is not about creating an intellectual society...but a society of educated people who, through service, have broadened their world views and deepened their commitment to this country.

I have absolutely no idea how to implement such a system. It's probably all a pipe dream.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#33
Posted: 1/11/08 at 12:59pm
I dunno. I don't mind Chris Matthews. He's much better than 99% of the "jounalists" on 24 hour news.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#34
Posted: 1/12/08 at 9:53am
Media Matters asks "Does Chris Matthews have a problem with women?"
Does Chris Matthews have a problem with women?
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#35
Posted: 1/12/08 at 1:41pm
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#36
Posted: 1/12/08 at 1:55pm
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#37
Posted: 1/17/08 at 5:10pm
I thought I'd bump this to ask: What the HELL was he just ranting about on his show? It was something either about how horrible Hillary is (as usual) or how much he respects her (in order to get all of his critics to back off). I was only half paying attention. Anyone see it?

Then again, I'm probably the only person masochistic enough to leave this show on, so...
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."