Page: 1

No Swearing! This is a bar, for Chissakes!!!

Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This story is making me ill, I can't believe this can even be logically considered.

ST. CHARLES, Mo. - What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights.

Marc Rousseau, who owns bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

"We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

A meeting to discuss the proposal is set for Jan. 14.
yahoo! story
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I saw this in the Chicago Sun-Times Today:

Veit said all he was really trying to do was to overhaul the local liquor license laws to make it easier to crack down on rowdy bars. The town's current law -- which only prohibits tavern owners from operating an "unruly house" -- was so vague as to make it impossible to revoke a liquor license. (Some would say we have the same problem here depending on the clout of the license holder.)

Veit said he had just copied the legal language straight from the state of Missouri's liquor license regulations, which set forth lengthy rules of conduct for bars. The prohibition on "indecent, profane or obscene language" was just an obscure provision in the state regulations that he hadn't much noticed, he said.

"I did not expect it to get this attention," Veit admitted, explaining he was focused on other restrictions. "I thought the story was we were cracking down on underage drinking."

So you don't have a particular concern with swearing?

"Absolutely not," he said.

Eh, that said, I spent a good chunk of my life in St. Charles and I remember there always being a problem with unruly people at the bars in the old town district. That was over a decade ago, so perhaps it's gotten worse.

Is Missouri Backwards?
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 02:39 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sounds like St. Charles is the BWW of the MO bar scene.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
who's chis?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective