Page: 1

Two 2007 Movie Musicals You Haven't Heard About

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With 2007 being a strong year and attention-grabber for the movie musical genre, I wanted to draw your attention to two other films to add to your list to check out.

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
COLMA - THE MUSICAL*
ENCHANTED
HAIRSPRAY
ONCE
ROMANCE & CIGARETTES*
SWEENEY TODD

COLMA - THE MUSICAL
In the town of Colma, just south of San Francisco, the dead outnumber the living one thousand to one. Here, one wouldn't expect teenagers to burst out in song, or dance around cemeteries and streets. But, that's exactly what happens. Best pals Rodel, Billy, and Maribel find themselves in a state of limbo; fresh out of high school, they are just beginning to explore a new world of part-time mall jobs and crashing college parties. As newfound revelations and romances challenge their relationships with one another and their parents, the trio must assess what to hold onto, and how to best follow their dreams. It's a love song to the city, and to the residents who dream of a better (and more musical) life.

ROMANCE & CIGARETTES (new to U.S.)
Romance and Cigarettes is a down-and-dirty musical love story set in the world of the working class. Nick (James Gandolfini) is an ironworker who builds and repairs bridges. He's married to Kitty (Susan Sarandon), a dressmaker, a strong and gentle woman with whom he has three daughters. He is carrying on a torrid affair with a redheaded woman named Tula (Kate Winslet). Nick is basically a good, hardworking man driven forward by will and blinded by his urges. Like Oedipus at Colonus, he is sent into exile and searches to find his way back through the damage he has done. In an imaginative, humorous, and touching way, Romance and Cigarettes explores the cost and value of a relationship through life and death. When the characters can no longer express themselves with language, they break into song, lip-synching the tunes lodged in their subconscious. It is their way to escape the harsh reality of their world - to dream, to remember, and to connect to another human being.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Mrs Mangel  Profile PhotoMrs Mangel  Profile Photo
Mrs Mangel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wasn't "Romance & Cigarettes" made years ago? I wonder what happened to it...
bschneid76 Profile Photobschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think you are referring to "Coffee and Cigarettes" made in 2003. "Romance and Cigarettes" came out in 2007.

Colma was a decent musical, with characters one could relate to. And I give it kudos for being an original piece.
"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
ROMANCE AND CIGARETTES may have been RELEASED in 2007, but it was actually FILMED in 2005.

Updated On: 1/7/08 at 07:56 AM
Mrs Mangel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And has anyone actually seen it? It must have been released to about three cinemas for a day.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember hearing lots of good things about it but I never saw it playing anywhere around here.

This is the first time I've heard of Colma. It sounds interesting.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The reason no one has seen ROMANCE & CIGARETTES is because it got lost in Hollywood bureaucracy. It was indeed filmed in 2005 but it wasn't released until 2007 in a theatre in New York. It had to be distributed by its own director. It will be released on DVD though. Here's an article that explains it all, it's a rather sad story. I'm not a fan of the film but I do wish people had the chance to actually see it and judge for themselves.

With strong leads and a supporting cast that includes Christopher Walken, Mary-Louise Parker and Elaine Stritch, Mr. Turturro persuaded Bingham Ray, then president of the United Artists specialty-film unit of MGM, to put up $4.5 million for the rights to North America and several other foreign territories. (“He pitched it as ‘The Honeymooners’ meets ‘The Singing Detective,’ ” Mr. Ray said.)

That commitment enabled Mr. Turturro to raise $4 million in private equity and an equal amount from Mel Gibson’s Icon Productions for the remaining overseas rights. He had been ready to roll in 2003, but delayed the shoot for more than a year until Mr. Gandolfini had finished shooting a season of “The Sopranos.”

Mr. Turturro faced his first major obstacle in January 2004, when Mr. Ray stepped down in a studio shake-up. “I thought the film might fall apart,” Mr. Turturro said, but MGM kept the project on track. While Mr. Turturro edited, his mother, Katherine Turturro, had a heart attack. She was the model for Ms. Sarandon’s character and had appeared in a scene with her. “John was devastated,” said his wife, the actress Katherine Borowitz.

Based on enthusiastic screenings — according to Mr. Turturro, 70 percent of the rough-cut test audience indicated it would recommend the movie — “Romance” was slated for a summer 2005 release in more than 500 theaters. That spring, however, MGM was bought by a consortium headed by Sony. “Romance” was one of four United Artists films orphaned in the acquisition. Two of them — “Art School Confidential” and “Capote” — found homes at Sony Pictures Classics, the studio’s specialized-film unit. A thriller, “The Woods,” went straight to DVD.

“Romance” faced the same fate. Though Sony executives never actually tested the film, they concluded the movie had limited commercial appeal. “Sony wouldn’t sink any money into prints and advertising,” Joel Coen said.

Rest of the Article
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Mrs Mangel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this is a sad tale. Will it be coming out on dvd, do you think?
scamp3 Profile Photoscamp3 Profile Photo
scamp3
Understudy
Understudy
I just saw Colma on dvd this past weekend. It's really something different for musical lovers. The songs are great, pop oriented, and infectious.

The only thing I didn't like was the many "inside" references to the San Francisco suburbs (of which Colma is one).

Still, I highly reccomend it.
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CapnHook, have you abandoned MovieMusicals.Net? I loved it, but some things are just too outdated.
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've tried finding a partner to help run the website, however there have been no suitable takers.

My time has become increasingly limited to maintain it by myself.

It's unfortunate, but it seems as if it will just die out. re: Two 2007 Movie Musicals You Haven't Heard About
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks. I just added these to my Netflix queue.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ROMANCE & CIGARETTES is indeed expected to arrive on DVD, though with all the issues associated with it, I wouldn't hold my breath until I see it in Best Buy.
It's surprising that a film featuring A-listers like Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet can't find a distributor.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, too bad. I loved the site.
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop