Page: 1

Academy tries to block sale of Mary Pickford's Oscar

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I actually question the validity of this "signed" contract too. The Academy hasn't been able to claim ownership of any Oscar dating back that far. And Oscars weren't the hot commodity back then that they are now.

Plus the idea that she would put $10 down as an amount, sounds a bit fishy to me. Should be an interesting law case.

Today, when you win an Oscar, it technically is on loan to you and your heirs "forever" unless you (or they) try to sell it. Then the Academy as a legal right to buy it back for a dollar.

But back then? You won it, you owned it. And you had any and all property rights, including selling it.

I do understand why the Academy thinks it's "vulgar," but that's just too bad. It's not for them to control... UNLESS that contract proves valid. Good luck.
LA Times link
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Academy needs to relax. It's not as if someone is going to buy an Oscar and then use it for a door stop or a paper weight.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, SOMEONE out there would, Diva.

I don't think their worried about anyone desecrating Oscar, just
cheapening its worth by putting it up for a "tag sale." I don't really get it either. And I agree they need to chill.

It will never change who won it, and for what. If Daddy McWarbucks wants to have little miss Mary Pickford's trophy on his fireplace mantle... then why not?
Tir Na Nog
Stand-by
Stand-by
This isn't a signed photo of Pickford. This is her Academy Award. It's extremely rare. I can understand the Academy being pissed.
"One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music". - Stephen Sondheim
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Pissed?

Heck, Mary was one of the founders of the Academy.

If the Academy wanted them all back after the person died, they should have already put into place the building of a museum to house and display the items.

It's just odd, no other award is asked to be returned...
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And I don't buy that argument that if they were bought by private collectors, they would just end up in somebody's home where nobody could see them.

Where do you think they are now?

Unless a winner decides to display or donate his/her Oscar to a museum or public venue, they are kept in private homes.

I know that Shelley Winters donated her Oscar for "The Diary of Anne Frank" to the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam.

I've held William Inge's Oscar (for Best Original Screenplay, "Splendor in the Grass"), because he donated it to the University of Kansas. It's kept in the Theatre Department and goes out on display in a case in front of the William Inge Memorial Theatre, every time they have a performance... along with his Pulizter Prize for "Picnic." I was asked to walk them down and put them in the case, one evening.

Basically, it's a "done deal" for anyone who wins an Oscar now, because they have to sign an agreement, stating that they can't sell their Oscar without allowing the Academy to buy it back first for a dollar.

But with the older awards they need to understand what property rights are. And they need to legally respect them.