Page: 1

Let's Have a Presedential Debate on Science

colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's have a presidential debate on science

Can any of the candidates lead America back to the head of the class in science and technology?

By Shawn Lawrence Otto

"In the past few weeks, marine biologists working in Papua, New Guinea, spoke about the need to ban fishing in certain parts of the ocean hard hit by rising temperatures. Meanwhile, in the American Midwest, stem cell pioneer James Thomson of the University of Wisconsin at Madison announced what may be a Nobel Prize-worthy discovery: how to turn ordinary skin cells into stem cells.

These two events -- separated by some 10,000 miles -- are nonetheless intimately related. Both highlight the single most constant theme of life in the past decades: how science and technology are changing our world and have become inseparable from politics."

(cont.)

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/12/13/sciencedebate2008/
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the majority of americans would yawn and change the channel to watch talking heads screaming at each other.

besides, the next president believes in the literalness of adam and eve, not adam and steve, so it's kind of a moot debate.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The majority of Americans don't watch the debates anyway.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that's debateable.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Indubatably.

[Not that any of this matters in light of the Bhutto assassination.]
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVE watching Presidential debates. It's practically my new favorite pastime.

I agree with Colleen. Science is one of the most important issues facing our nation, and it ties into most of what goes on in the world today. It seems odd that it's so often ignored as an issue.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's not ignored. It's belittled.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'd comment but i am too busy crying over poor benny and cursing the evil pervy.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort