Page: 1

will there ever be any "original" movie musicals?

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
will the entertainment industry ever loop back around to a time when it's acceptable to write musicals just for the screen (i.e. "Gigi") or will a movie musical have to rely on a broadway pedigree to be made?
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Three Words:

HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gigi was based on a best selling French novel called "Colette". I'm wondering if anyone has ever written a truly ORIGINAL screen play for a musical? "High School Musical" may be it.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But "High School Musical 3" is based on a series of made-for-tv musicals.

Is it still original?
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Once
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would "Once" be considered a movie musical?
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think High School Musical 3 is original. The plot and the music are completely new.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ENCHANTED was originally conceived as a movie musical.

EDIT: The new Disney animated movie starring Anika Noni Rose will also be an original musical, I believe.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 12/24/07 at 02:29 AM