" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#2
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:19pm
Woot!
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Perfectly Marvelous Profile PhotoPerfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#2
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:27pm
I saw it earlier today and was very impressed with his singing. Multo bene, signor Johnny!
"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#3
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:28pm
Not my slice of pie, so to speak.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#4
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:29pm
Ivan and I loved it!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#5
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:33pm
Three quarters of the way through I wished for a version to be available with all of the music. But I understand why some of it has been cut and I enjoyed every bit of the film. Perfect casting.
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#6
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:33pm
way too graphic, way too much blood. other than that loved it, my review is on the main board with all the others
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Ariella Profile PhotoAriella Profile Photo
Ariella
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#7
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:49pm
I saw it today and thought it was absolutely fabulous.
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#8
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:50pm
I'm not good at writing reviews. I just love to gush! :)
Broadway Bound2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#9
Posted: 12/21/07 at 9:52pm
I say I must agree this movie was fabulous.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#10
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:02pm
Glebby, when one has your looks and talent, you can get away with just gushing! hehehehe
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#11
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:28pm
I didn't think it was too bloody at all. Afterwards, I thought "THAT'S what people thought was too bloody?" He slits people's throats. What do you think it's going to look like?

I very much enjoyed the film. I thought it was excellent. Not necessarily Best Picture material, but it's a very successful adaptation of one of my favorite musicals. I'm not going to go on and on about all the things I adored, but I do have a few quibbles.

1.) Anthony's age. He was too young. I find that the Anthony/Johanna story line is more fulfilling and realistic when Anthony is a bit older. After all, he claims to have "sailed the world, beheld its wonders/from the Dardanelles/to the mountains of Peru...", but he looks no older than 17-18 years old. He lays his eyes on a girl through a window, falls in love, and will stop at nothing to rescue her? He's a 15 year old twink. He's been no where, seen nothing, and probably knows little to nothing of love. His brutally young and boyish face and age make their relationship seem nothing more than a passing teenage fancy. The stakes aren't high enough.

2.) On the same note, I understand why the majority of Johanna's material was cut, but as a result - the characters of Johanna and Anthony (and their whole story line) seems incomplete - almost like "Well, I don't know you. Who cares what happens to you?" It would have done the film a great service to have left "Kiss Me" in the film. Without it, Johanna and Anthony have NO scenes together prior to her rescue. He's only seen her through a window - how on EARTH would he recognize her and pick her out from dozens of girls at an asylum? And more than that, the absence of "Kiss Me" makes Johanna seem idiotic and annoying. With the song, you see her quirky personality and her actual chops. You find out something about her and her interaction. In the musical, she wants Anthony just as much as Anthony wants her. In the film, the only indication of her agreement is the tossing of the key. I actually feel that the exclusion of so much Johanna/Anthony material is a fatal, fatal flaw in the film.

3.) The casting of Tobias. I didn't mind that he was so young - it worked quite well - but the kid wasn't much of an actor while singing. He's a cute kid with a cute voice, but his eyes are completely empty when he sings. Not only isn't he giving the audience any indication that he knows what he's singing about, but it's highly unlikely that a kid THAT young who was raised in a workhouse would be able to put together lines as meaningful and poetic and sophisticated as those in "Not While I'm Around." Suspension of disbelief - yes - but I felt that the kid was just TOO infantile.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
broadway_freak2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#12
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:57pm
I fell in love with the movie. It was fantastic. I had some reservations, but that happen with ever film. I still can't shake off how good it was.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#13
Posted: 12/21/07 at 10:58pm
So is it Burton's best since ED WOOD? Or as good as or even better than ED WOOD?
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#14
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:04pm
Munk, you have to consider that Anthony may have been sent to sea as a young boy, it was not uncommon at all in those days to use orphans as cabin boys, so the fact that he is only 17 or so is not that outrageous. In fact I thought casting Anthony and Toby so young really made a connection between those two characters, thematically.
If Anthony had been at sea all his life, it would make sense he would fall in love and become obsessed with the first pretty girl he saw.
PEACE.
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#15
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:08pm
I also greatly missed Tobias' essentially going into shock.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#16
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:09pm
Does it keep the "Patty-cake patty-cake Baker's man" rant at the end? That's always my favorite moment in any show.
Atrias Profile PhotoAtrias Profile Photo
Atrias
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#17
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:13pm
Nope. He just...walks up, kills Sweeney and walks away. Kind of abrupt, actually.
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#18
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:13pm
No
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
pushdabutton Profile Photopushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#19
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:27pm
I saw it today and loved it. More blood than I expected but I didn't feel like it was overdone. Johnny Depp's singing ability really surprised me. He did a great job as did Helena.
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#20
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:43pm
Sueleen: Yes, all of those things are true and they did cross my mind. While it is of course possible for a young person to have literally traveled the world, I firmly FIRMLY believe that the age and inherent naivety of someone so young trivializes the relationship with Johanna. It can easily be brushed off as "Oh, they're just kids." Of course, Johanna is Sweeney's daughter so you're forced to care more - but it would be quite easy to just brush them off as being young, dumb kids.

I felt that a more mature Anthony (Victor Garber, anyone) really makes the relationship more realistic.

With all that said, do you agree with me on the point of "Kiss Me?" I think it's an important mistake.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#21
Posted: 12/21/07 at 11:58pm
Wow. I don't have to write anything as munkustrap has echoed my sentiments about the film to a "T".
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#22
Posted: 12/22/07 at 12:21am
Munk, I don't disagree with you and I probably would not have cast it that way, but I can see the reasoning behind it and I think it worked. And yes, I missed Kiss Me, too. But obviously they made the choice to focus more on the Sweeney/Lovett relationship. That would explain why By the Sea was retained.
PEACE.
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#23
Posted: 12/22/07 at 12:29am
Focus on Lovett/Sweeney relationship for sure.
No Joanna and Anthony at the end.
I loved the casting and Helena's acting with Toby was heartbreaking.
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd is Bloody Good!#24
Posted: 12/22/07 at 12:37am
I was actually very impressed with Johnny Depp's singing. Definitely a different edge than the traditional Sweeney, but perfectly serviceable. Helena Bonham Carter impressed me in that even though she obviously can't sing at all, I didn't really see that as a problem in her Mrs. Lovett.

I think the highest praise I could give the movie is that, while watching, I didn't once stop and say, "Oh, why did they cut that!" And, being the Sondheim and Sweeney devotee that I am, that was EXTREMELY unexpected.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.