The delicate matter of the truth about Santa ... *spoilers*

DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just read this article, and it's strange to me because my parents always told us that Jesus/God gave them jobs all year round, and that's how they had money to buy gifts. It also balanced out that some kids' parents had better paying jobs and got more gifts, while others got less. Strangely enough, I sometimes feel like I missed part of childhood innocence by not believing.

BUT now my niece is growing up here, and my sister is raising her to believe in Santa. When do you tell a kid the truth? Do you believe one should be straight-forward and not let them believe? Were you scarred when you figured out the truth?
Should parents tell the truth about Santa?
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I caught my mom putting presents under the tree, but I kinda thought it was her all along.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, now, people are worried about scarring their kids, so instead they want to teach them the facts of life right up front?

Kids today have already lost their youth WAY too early and are far too ‘im-mature’ as it is. Why would you want to do that to a child?

Pretty soon there will be no Tooth Fairy, or Easter Bunny (although, when I DID find out my mother was the Easter Bunny, it did do some damage. She was out hiding eggs and I looked out the window to see her in a sheer night gown without any underwear on. But that’s another story).
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I found out Santa wasn't real, I cried for hours.

Now I have to pretend for my 5 younger siblings.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Diva ... I know! Like I said, I feel like I missed out on some of the magic of childhood. Not sure I would do it to my kids.
Celebrate Life

nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not even sure I believe in Christmas, much less Santa Claus.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
After having taught high school for ten years, I was suddenly thrown into 7th grade. For reasons I can't remember, I said something in class about Santa being a myth. One of my kids got a very shocked look on his face and said, "THERE'S NO SANTA?!". I've never gotten over that.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Most kids these days figure it out themselves. It was never big a issue for me. I dont remember when i realized it exactly but my mother was very good at getting things in the house without me realizing it (how does one sneak a pinball machine into a house exactly?)
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't!

They have so much taken away now, that you should give them SOMETHING!

It's didn't scar me, and as others have said, "we all sort of knew anyway!"

I think if you take that sense of wonderment away from a child, you kind of crush them.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I figured it out myself as well, but I FONDLY remember the years that I did believe in Santa. Man, I was so happy back then.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Exactly. I eventually just asked my mom when I was 8, but before that, Christmas was so amazing to me. Don't ruin those happy years for kids!
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The kids thing should have read "if I had kids ... " which I don't.
Celebrate Life

DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think The Santa Clause facilitated how I felt about the existence of Santa.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't see the purpose of telling kids up-front about Santa. It's Christmas, let them have their fun. Most kids figure it out on their own anyway.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kids grow up way too fast, and they need fantasy and something magical to believe in.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What do you mean he isn't real??????

evil, evil people.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry elph ... I did warn there were spoilers.
Celebrate Life

mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe in Santa Claus.
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And blow jobs...

But that's besides the point.
erikaamato
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved believing in Santa Claus! And man, did I believe! I would argue with the other kids in my 2nd and 3rd grade classes (who had older siblings, who had ruined it for them), explaining exactly why there most certainly was a Santa Claus, and how I felt sorry for them, since they quite possibly were going to get coal in their stockings. re: The delicate matter of the truth about Santa ... *spoilers*

I finally asked my mom to tell me the truth in 4th grade. And it didn't scar me one bit. I thought, "Ah. Well, that was fun while it lasted!" re: The delicate matter of the truth about Santa ... *spoilers*
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the Polar Express is the best book for slowly moving into the truth about Santa Claus.

I don't quite remember the exact moment I found out. Though I do remember peeking from my bedroom and seeing my parents putting the presents under the tree. However, I also remember peeking from my bedroom in the dark seeing a beautiful tree with tons of presents when I believed. It was such a magical sight even if I did have some doubts.

I never did like the actual visit to Santa, so I appreciated when I could send "hints" to my mom about what I wanted!

TheatreDiva, you made me laugh!
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
courtnyj Profile Photocourtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As a kid I had a split Christmas...sometimes with my mom and sometimes with my dad. Santa gave different types of presents depending on which house....

For example, at my dad's house Santa got me a CD player. At my mom's house Santa gave me a kid's microscope. So I kind of knew about Santa but it wasn't confirmed until I saw the wrapper from the stocking candy in the trash at my mom's house. re: The delicate matter of the truth about Santa ... *spoilers* To this day my parents still do "Santa" with the stockings and everything only now I contribute to the gifts in their stockings.
Updated On: 12/20/07 at 08:54 PM
1937 Profile Photo1937 Profile Photo
Understudy
Understudy
Kids at school are starting to tell my 8 year old brother that Santa isn't real, yet my mom keeps telling him that Santa most certainly does exist. She was raised in a home where her mom told at a very young age that Santa wasn't real, so she doesn't want my brother to lose the magic. But I think that when the children start questioning it, you just need to sit them down and say that the magic can still be there, there's just not a fat man involved. (Well, there is in my case-- my step-father, but that's a whole 'nother story!)
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For some reason or another I never really believed in Santa. My father bent over backwards for a few years to try to convince me their was, but eventually gave up. I assume, that's I didn't start REALLY enjoying Christmas until I got in high school and was able to start buying gifts for other people.
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
Jess1483
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My parents tried to tell my brother and I pretty young that there was no Santa so that we would focus on the meaning of the season. We refused to believe them, so they played along until we got older.

I don't think there's any harm to not letting children believe. It's not scarring them to tell them there's no Santa--my cousins (4, 6, 10 now) were told upfront, they still enjoy Christmas, and they have a great idea about the love that embodies the season. On the other hand, I don't think there's anything wrong with believing in Santa. I think this is totally a parent's call and we shouldn't judge families who choose either way (I'm not saying we are, just saying.)

Also, as a second-grade teacher, I'm pretty sure very few of my kids believe anyway. We didn't really talk about it.
Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!