Best Animated Film: Ratatouille
Best Cinematography: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Russell Smith Award: Once

no real surprises here.
....but the world goes 'round
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm on pins and needles every year until I hear from the Dallas Film Critics.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, Philip Seymour Hoffman came in 2nd place.

The true winner is Javier Bardem for NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

And don't forget, Diablo Cody won Best Screenplay for JUNO.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I guess the Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor categories are already locks in terms of the Oscars. Though Cotillard still presents a threat to Julie Christie, but I feel the winners will be Lewis, Christie, and Bardem with Amy Ryan hopefully taking the Supporting Actress award.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have this feeling (obviously based on nothing) that Cotiliard
is going to win the Oscar.
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I do too, but I think lately the buzz is leaning more towards Christie. I, personally, am rooting for Ellen Page or Helena Bonham Carter, though I know the award is either Christie's or Cotillard's.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 12/17/07 at 05:28 PM
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw AWAY FROM HER months and months ago, and when I think of Christie's performance it still gives me chills.

But what an incredibly strong category Best Actress is this year. So many worthy performances.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I guess the Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor categories are already locks in terms of the Oscars."

You obviously haven't looked at the track record of the critics over the past 15 years.

EXAMPLE:

The last time the NY and LA film critics picked a Best Picture Oscar winner together was 1993. Yep, that's 14 years ago. They haven't been right collectively since. NY got it right only one other time, in 2004, with Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. And the LA Film critics haven't picked one right in the past 14 years.

Critics have uniformly gotten behind many films previously--Brokeback Mountain, Sideways, Saving Private Ryan, L.A. Confidential, Pulp Fiction, etc. All were critics darlings, winning many awards and "sweeps."

And none of them went on to win the Best Picture Oscar. Not one.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/17/07 at 07:46 PM
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wasn't talking about the Best Picture award though. Last year Whitaker, Mirren, and Hudson won most critic awards (if I recall correctly, or perhaps the buzz was more than the fact). Subsequently, they won the Globes and the SAGS, which led to one of the most boring, predictable Oscar race last year (thank God for the Supporting Actor battle between Arkin and Murphy).
That's why I'm saying Lewis, Christie, and Bardem seem to be posing themselves as the Whitaker, Mirren, and Hudson of last year.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had a lot of problems with KING OF KONG: A FISTFUL OF QUARTERS. As entertaining as it was, it played VEEEEEERY loose with the facts and it is edited in such a way to intentionally make one of the lead characters look like an asshole. That is not ethical filmmaking, in me own eyes.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
at this point it's all about jockeying to get an Oscar nom. Once that happens an entirely new set of rules take hold.
Sentimental value, body of work, past wins, past losses, etc.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
More examples -- NY Film Critics Best Actor vs. Oscar winner:

* 1997: Peter Fonda

for his role as "Ulysses 'Ulee' Jackson" in Ulee's Gold

OSCAR: Jack Nicholson - As Good As It Gets

* 1998: Nick Nolte

for his role as "Wade Whitehouse" in Affliction

OSCAR: Roberto Beninini - Life Is Beautiful

* 1999: Richard Farnsworth

for his role as "Alvin Straight" in The Straight Story

OSCAR: Kevin Spacey - American Beauty

* 2000: Tom Hanks

for his role as "Chuck Noland" in Cast Away

OSCAR: Russell Crowe - Gladiator

* 2001: Tom Wilkinson

for his role as "Matt Fowler" in In the Bedroom

OSCAR: Denzel Washington - Training Day

* 2002: Daniel Day-Lewis

for his role as "Bill Cutting" in Gangs of New York

OSCAR: Adrian Brody - The Pianist

* 2003: Bill Murray

for his role as "Bob Harris" in Lost in Translation

OSCAR: Sean Penn - Mystic River

* 2004: Paul Giamatti

for his role as "Miles" in Sideways

OSCAR: Jamie Foxx - Ray

* 2005: Heath Ledger

for his role as "Ennis Del Mar" in Brokeback Mountain

OSCAR: Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

* 2006: Forest Whitaker

OSCAR: Wow---It was the same!

for his role as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland

* 2007: Daniel Day-Lewis

OSCAR: ???

for his role as "Daniel Plainview" in There Will Be Blood

That's one win in ten years that paralleled the Oscars.

I love the critics awards, because it gives us a chance to agree or disagree... and to discuss and predict.

But using them as any indication of an Oscar pick is kinda silly, just based on the facts. They don't match very often at all.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can't we just agree that this was one of the best years for movies of this decade?
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
not by a long shot Cruel.
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can't we just agree that this was one of the best years for movies of this decade?

As sad as that is, it's kinda true.
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is true.

I don't think the race is all sewn up, though.

Amy Ryan and Julie Christie may have won nearly every precursor (the Globes and SAGS will help clear things up) but I don't believe that Amy Ryan, as good as her performance is, will win the Oscar. It's not a great year as far as women are concerned, but I still don't see the Academy rewarding a virtual newcomer for a film as slight as GONE BABY GONE.

Julie Christie is well respected in the community, and though she already has an Oscar - it was quite some time ago that she won. But is a film that small and a performance so nuanced really Oscar material? I don't feel that it is.

Marion Cotillard has been Christie's biggest threat this far, and despite the fact that she's essentially a newcomer to America, I think she might have enough people on her side to push her over the line. It's the kind of "In Your Face" performance that Oscar loves. The only other possible competition comes in the form of Keira Knightley. No, her performance isn't as exceptional as Christie's or Cotillard's, but she's a bright young actress (already with a nomination under her belt), and it wouldn't be unlike Oscar to award a less-worthy but more stunning (and younger) talent.

I do feel, though, that Javier Bardem's Supporting Actor Oscar is all sewn up. He will win, whether he should or not.

Best Director(s) will almost positively go to the Coen Brothers, and deservingly so. Their only threat is PT Anderson and Burton.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson