Page: 1

Ace: A New Musical working in NYC

lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#1
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:41pm
Does anyone have any more information on this show? I absolutely adore it beyond belief, and although I'm a little disappointed Michael Arden and Noah Galvin aren't going to be in it (or so says the article) I'm still really looking forward to it.

Does anyone want to share the Ace love with me?
SahDu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#2
Posted: 12/15/07 at 1:18pm
Noah Galvin will be in it. Hopefully you're even more excited now?

Eric Schaeffer (Arlington's Signature Theatre, Broadway's Putting It Together, London's The Witches of Eastwick) will direct this staged reading, to feature Will Chase (High Fidelity, Aida, The Full Monty) in the title role, with Ashley Brown (Mary Poppins) as the mom of a little boy (played by Noah Galvin) with big dreams. Christiane Noll (Jekyll & Hyde, Frankenstein) is also in the reading.

I don't know anything about this, though. Where has it been performed?

Keff
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#2
Posted: 12/15/07 at 1:40pm
Oh, I missed that! Thank you! The show ran in San Diego earlier this year.. closing in February, I believe? I have a recording and it's absolutely amazing. I'm completely in love with it, just every single part of it screams "wonderful". Before it moved to San Diego I think it was in New Jersey, but I'm not quite sure on that one.
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#3
Posted: 12/15/07 at 1:59pm
SO excited for Will! Sounds like a great cast!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
Burning_Oasis
Understudy
Understudy
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#4
Posted: 12/15/07 at 2:09pm
I love this show! Too bad Arden won't be with the show, he was amazing.
lesmis Profile Photolesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#5
Posted: 12/15/07 at 2:12pm
I think Will is amazing!
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#6
Posted: 12/15/07 at 2:20pm
I'm going to desperately miss Arden and Ritchie.. they were fantastic in their roles, but I'm so glad this show is finally getting more press and is getting out there! It's honestly beyond fantastic.
NY_Broadway2 Profile PhotoNY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#7
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:02pm
I love Will Chase but I'm upset that Michael Arden isn't in it. But the only good thing I guess is it is a reading and, if they decide to actually mount a Broadway production, they will bring Michael back.
If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#8
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:10pm
Hopefully. Lord knows I'd kill to have him on broadway again... If its just a reading I'm wondering how much they'd cut for a bway production.
dented146 Profile Photodented146 Profile Photo
dented146
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#9
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:34pm
Saw the musical in San Diego. The reviews were mixed and I personally thought they were reasonable reviews. The entire cast was very good but Noah Galvin's performance was the glue that held the production together. Unbelievable acting chops and uncanny comedy timing for such a young man. I can't remember the name of his young female costar but she was also excellent.

The book was stronger than the music. As the show unfolded I kept hoping for a melody to come along which would carry this musical over the edge to that higher place it needs to be for great success. But I just didn't feel it happened. Yet the rest of I was first rate.
jennafan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#10
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:41pm
Saw this show in San Diego a couple of times. The first time I went, it was during previews and the place was packed. I went again right before it closed and it was almost empty, I was sitting in the orch, but I could see in the balcony that it was pretty empty. A friend of mine also went towards the end of the run and said it wasn't selling great at all.

It was a good show, and if they keep the same set, it might be pretty cheap to do on Broadway.

LOVED the story, but you pretty much know what's going to happen by just reading the Playbill.
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#11
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:44pm
My only complaint about the show was that I wasn't a huge fan of the female voices. The "In These Skies" duet that took place between John Robert and... Rose? was just about unbearable. However, I loved the duet between Robert and Ace. I don't know.

I think the book's hilarious, and incredibly strong. "In These Skies" is supposed to be that melody to carry the show but I don't know about that.
jennafan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#12
Posted: 12/15/07 at 7:19pm
Agree with you totally.
I didn't like the Rose character AT ALL. There wasn't much chemistry between her and John Robert. I agree the "In These Skies" debut between them was just awful. Didn't like her high singing voice one bit.
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#13
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:02pm
They just had like, an awful blend. And though I love Michael to DEATH, it seems like he has a really hard time being straight. He's just kind of bad at liking girls.
And their duet.. I don't know what was up with that. I honestly don't know. John Robert's really really cute at the beginning of the song (with the dialogue about sneaking out) but then they start to sing and I get kind of worried about the couple's future because they don't blend and have no chemistry.
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#14
Posted: 12/15/07 at 9:02pm
They just had like, an awful blend. And though I love Michael to DEATH, it seems like he has a really hard time being straight. He's just kind of bad at liking girls.
And their duet.. I don't know what was up with that. I honestly don't know. John Robert's really really cute at the beginning of the song (with the dialogue about sneaking out) but then they start to sing and I get kind of worried about the couple's future because they don't blend and have no chemistry.
John Murdock Profile PhotoJohn Murdock Profile Photo
John Murdock
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#15
Posted: 12/16/07 at 5:35am
i am really sad that Amy Bodnar will not be in this re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC
Upcoming Shows: Gypsy, Dead Mans Cell Phone, Xanadu, Sunday in the Park with George
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#16
Posted: 12/16/07 at 6:03pm
What role did she play?
lite2shine Profile Photolite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#17
Posted: 12/16/07 at 6:49pm
Huh, Ashley as the little boy's mom? I'd say that would be miscast totally.

BTW a little bit OT but is the guy in "Diamond Forever" CM (a couple in a car, the guy giving a diamond to the woman while waiting at the stop light) Will Chase?
lickthelightbulb
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#18
Posted: 12/16/07 at 7:10pm
For the Will Chase question, I have no idea, but for Ashley... I guess this'll really put her up to her acting tests. I mean, all I've ever heard of her being in is BATB and Mary Poppins, which are happy Disney things. I can't wait to see if she can pull off being like, depressed, then go back and be enticing and sweet. It'll definately be intersting to see how she portrays it.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#19
Posted: 12/16/07 at 8:50pm
I adore the demo CD. I can't wait for the show to hit Broadway though I'm afraid the critics may tear it apart.
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#20
Posted: 12/16/07 at 9:21pm
I saw this show in Cincy before it went to San Diego. I remember it being good, but only really remember the set and Noah Galvin. Matt Bogart was Ace. I think it could find a Broadway home in the future, with some rewrites.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#21
Posted: 12/16/07 at 10:16pm
I saw it, it was okay.
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#22
Posted: 12/16/07 at 10:32pm
lite2shine

Yes, that is Will Chase! Great commercial!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
ardenfanXD Profile PhotoardenfanXD Profile Photo
ardenfanXD
Understudy
Understudy
re: Ace: A New Musical working in NYC#23
Posted: 12/23/07 at 7:15pm
From what I've heard, Noah Galvin IS coming back as Billy. Michael Arden, unfortunately, will not. I know that they started the reading last week or something like that, and Betsy Woolfe is back! I am really looking forward to this show though.
"I'm strong enough to fight and win" -Michael Arden