Page: 1

Did Christine love the Phantom?

alxscrz2 Profile Photoalxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Did Christine love the Phantom?#1
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:05am
I was wondering this question when I first saw the show and also when I saw the movie. I think she didn't love the phantom. In my opinion she felt pity for him and cared about him but didn't love him. I also this way because the story is about unrequieted love. What do you guys think ?
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#2
Posted: 12/14/07 at 7:51am
Well, she initially thought it was the ghost of her dead father, so I assume she "loved" him at first. But not romantically.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
EponineAmneris Profile PhotoEponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#2
Posted: 12/14/07 at 8:05am
Certianly not "romantic" love.

Like it was previously stated, she was thinking of him as her dead father, a replacement for him even. Familiar love, not romantic.

But she cared.

Deeply.

Until he started killing people...

... For her.

I have never seen the Phantom and Christine as a romantic pair.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 08:05 AM
Phantour
Understudy
Understudy
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#3
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:35am
I think at first it's this childhood affection because he's a figure that her father told many stories about. Then when they actually meet, he awakens her sexuality and she feels this passion she never did before. I think at the end she knows she has this passion with the Phantom that she'll never have with Raoul, which I believe is more of a traditional love. So in that sense it's hard for her to leave him, but she knows it wouldn't work out. I think it also depends on the actors and how they interpret the characters.
EganFan2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#4
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:36pm
Ah, the age old question.

No, I don't believe she did. I think she may have had the type of crush you have on your teacher, but then when he showed his true colors she was turned off in a major way. He uses his voice and music to seduce her, which isn't love.
Kalimba Profile PhotoKalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#5
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:55pm
Christine really never loved anyone but herself. She used people to further her career. She was quite the calculating young lady. Personally I was waiting for a cat fight between her and Carlotta.
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 03:55 PM
sleepyguy1717
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#6
I think she loves the idea of Phantom. The idea of her father sending her an Angel of Music. To help her remember her father.
I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#7
Well, no, but all that would have changed if sex had come directly into the picture.

Its the age old temptation between bad man/good sex or good man/blah sex. Danger versus safety. Judd versus Curly.

That is her conflict. She is mighty curious about this nutty firecracker, but she has already given her heart (and pledge) to Mister White Bread.

All plot conflicts boil down to sex or money. Or power which is a combination of the two.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
alxscrz2 Profile Photoalxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#8
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:33pm
I agree with every one about christine not loving the phantom in a romantic way. I also would like to know why she gave the phantom 2 kisses in the film ? In the stage show she gives him 1 kiss
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#9
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:45pm
This would be a hot thread circa 1988 - if Broadwayworld.com exsisted.
What great ones do the less will prattle of
Mistress Overdone Profile PhotoMistress Overdone Profile Photo
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#10
Posted: 12/14/07 at 7:23pm
I think she just had some serious Daddy issues!
Elphabuff2 Profile PhotoElphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#11
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:33am
WOSQ, wow, comment of the week. That was a really good comparison...the Curly/Judd interpretation. If you think about it, Laurey is, I think at least, somewhat attracted to/intrigued by Judd, who is the bad guy, the guy from which to stay away, very much like the phantom. Meanwhile, Curly and Raoul are very much alike, the hero, the stereotypical "good guy", or "knight in shining armor." I suppose, along that vein, Aunt Eller would be Madame Giry. Well...who in the hell would that make Ado Annie? I don't think I even want to know.
EganFan2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#12
Posted: 12/15/07 at 10:46am
>>>I agree with every one about christine not loving the phantom in a romantic way. I also would like to know why she gave the phantom 2 kisses in the film ? In the stage show she gives him 1 kiss

Because he's hawt! (You can't see how hard I'm rolling my eyes.)

No, stage Christines very often give two kisses, too. It just depends on the actress, I guess.
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#13
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:22pm
No, he was a creepy stalker and all that she felt was pity for him (in the novel, anyway. In the musical it's more like "Okay, I'll just kiss you so you'll shut up.")
Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Did Christine love the Phantom?#14
Posted: 12/15/07 at 6:49pm
When I first saw the show, I thought she loved him. And therefore, I was upset when they didn't end up together! Now, I'm not that sure, it is like some parasitic relationship. But I'm still not a fan of the show.
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?