Page: 1

In a season of FIVE (5) movie musicals, which will be announced as Golden Globe nominees on Thursday...?

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
ENCHANTED
HAIRSPRAY
ONCE
SWEENEY TODD - THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET

Which, if any, has caught global attention and will be nominated by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association at the Golden Globe Awards? Nominations come out Thursday!

All five films have gained at least a handful of rave reviews from important critics, with ACROSS THE UNIVERSE being the worst-reviewed of the bunch.

A very very tough call, IMHO.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, remember the category is Musical/Comedy so I think there will only be space for two or three.
It's absurd that SWEENEY TODD is competing against light comedies like HAIRSPRAY and ENCHANTED for a nod. As I've said before, they should just leave it as drama v. comedy, not all musicals are musical comedies.
Anyways, I think it will probably be ENCHANTED and SWEENEY TODD. Though HAIRSPRAY may get a nod over ENCHANTED, or perhaps all three will be nominated. The only comedies I can think will present major competition are KNOCKED UP and SUPERBAD. Will JUNO be considered comedy or drama?
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The category isn't Musical Comedy; it's Musical/Comedy (as in musicals or comedies).
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tom O'Neill of the LA Times (who has a bias to musicals, mind you) makes the following prediction:

BEST COMEDY/MUSICAL PICTURE
"Across the Universe"
"Enchanted"
"Hairspray"
"Juno"
"Sweeney Todd"
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I doubt "Across The Universe" will garner a nom.

I don't think the Globes will honor that many musicals. Although it would make for a good award show, and BWW discussion for a few months.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm aware the category is Musical/Comedy, I just find it absurd that they group musicals and comedies together implying that musicals are comedies.
I doubt ACROSS THE UNIVERSE will get a nod, I'm sure it'll look something like:
ENCHANTED
HAIRSPRAY
JUNO
SUPERBAD
SWEENEY TODD

With one of the musicals probably being bumped for a comedy. Not sure which one, all three have garnered fantastic reviews.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Knocked Up
Sweeney Todd
Hairspray
Once
Juno
....but the world goes 'round
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
juno
hairspray
sweeney todd

I doubt across the universe will be in there, the HFP are a little weird sometimes.
bschneid76 Profile Photobschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My List:

Juno
Hairspray
Knocked Up
Sweeney Todd
Enchanted

Goodness if that were the it would be extremely hard to choose. Although I haven't see Sweeney yet. Going to be an exciting Golden Globes. Now I just need to go see more dramas.
"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amy Adams is a sure thing for a Best Actress nomination for Enchanted, but the film itself is not a sure thing for a Best Picture nod at the Globes.

Hairspray and Sweeney Todd are locks for Globe nominations. Enchanted would be next, if there is room, but with several of the comedies mentioned here, it may not make the cut.

And you can forget about Across the Universe.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's a super tough category this year.

On a whim:

Enchanted
Hairspray
Juno
Once
Sweeney Todd

possible: Knocked Up and Superbad
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I enjoyed ENCHANTED a thousand times more than HAIRSPRAY, I think the fact it was number 1 at the BO for a few weeks may also help the movie get a nod at the Globes. However, it could go either way. I'm sure SWEENEY will be nominated though.
Amy Adams, Katherine Heigl, and Helena Bonham Carter will probably get nominated in the Actress in a Comedy/Musical category. I wonder if Nikki Blonsky will make the cut.
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved Once more than any other movie I saw this year, but I just don't think it has enough buzz or weight behind it to garner it a nomination for anything but the music.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
jam_man
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember seeing somewhere what movies were being considered under the M/C category, and one that stuck out as to "wtf?" was Charlie Wilson's War. I don't think that will get a nom, based on the buzz, but there were a few others that were listed that may.

But not counting those "wtf?"s, I'd say that Sweeney, Juno, and Superbad takes up three, with a possibility of Hairspray and/or Enchanted.
"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My guess:

SWEENEY TODD
HAIRSPRAY
ENCHANTED
JUNO
KNOCKED UP - OR - SUPERBAD
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As much as I love Across the Universe it's not gonna be nominated however I agree that Hairspray and Sweeney Todd definitely will be.
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How long has it been since 2 or more musicals graced the Musical or Comedy category?
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney Todd
Hairspray
Enchanted
Knocked Up (though it would not be my choice)
Juno
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE wouldn't make the cut, eh?...
--Aristotle
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"You've thrown them off the track now!"
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The actual ones:
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR
HAIRSPRAY
JUNO
SWEENEY TOOD

I'm sorry, but UNIVERSE over ENCHANTED? That's like Jennifer Hudson beating Jesus. This is a travesty. ENCHANTED is, in my opinion, one of the best films of the year.

EW AVERAGES:
UNIVERSE: C
ENCHANTED B+
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hell, I'd have nominated ENCHANTED over HAIRSPRAY. Though it definitely deserved the nod over ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.
I was surprised SUPERBAD or KNOCKED UP weren't nominated, I thought one of them would be a lock.