Huckabee: Gay Marriage Would End Civilization

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I guess "Our Kind" had better run to the hills!

Whats scary is I'm hearing whispers that if Huckabee gets the nomination, he's got Rick Santorum on his short list of running mates.Santorum once said on the Senate floor that same-sex marriage was domestic terrorism.Honest to God. My my, what a team these two would make.

Forget terrorists. Mike Huckabee has identified a threat right here at home that would result in the downfall of our whole civilization.

GQ: Is the strategy shifting because social conservatives are losing on those core issues? Ten years ago, it would have been unimaginable to have gay marriage even in liberal Massachusetts. Now it's there.

Huckabee: I don't think the issue's about being against gay marriage. It's about being for traditional marriage and articulating the reason that's important. You have to have a basic family structure. There's never been a civilization that has rewritten what marriage and family means and survived. So there is a sense in which, you know, it's one thing to say if people want to live a different way, that's their business. But when you want to redefine what family means or what marriage means, then that's an issue that should require some serious and significant debate in the public square.

Huckabee isn't the first to make these kind of statements. The idea that marriage is so sacrosanct that disturbing one dot in the word "license" would be enough to end us, has become part of the right's standard patter.

So, I'm wondering, who were these civilizations that re-wrote the meaning of marriage or family, and met some horrible doom. Was it the many civilizations were marriage was arranged and decided long before children were of marriageable age? Was it the Jewish civilizations of Jesus' day where brothers were required to marry their brother's widows? Was it civilizations that allowed siblings to marry? How about first cousins? Could be it civilizations who adopted the silly idea that you should marry for love. Perhaps it was the Mormons who decided to practice polygamy. Perhaps it was those who decided to stop. Or maybe it was the polyandrous cultures in many mountainous or arctic regions.

The truth is that every society rewrites the rules of marriage and family. That's what happens to all our social values as they respond to changes in how we live, what we know, and our available resources. Yes, friction occurs when the boundaries of a social convention no longer match those of a society in which it's embedded, but the societies that survive are exactly those which demonstrate the flexibility to change and adapt.

We stand at the end of a long line of rule-changers, of civilizations that have made institutions like marriage work for them, instead of against them. The dust under our feet is composed of all the civilizations that just the kind of rigidity that Huckabee wants for us now. The civilizations who fail are not those who acknowledge changing conditions and reshape their rules, but those who don't.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_6238

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/12/6/12739/4633

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 11:07 AM
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He's a snake. A disgusting snake.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
he'll have a very nice condo in Hell, with a connecting door to J. Edgar Hoovers condo.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Huckabee makes Bush + the gang look pretty liberal!
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
careful boys, you're talking about the next president of the united states.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why should we be careful. Will we be quarantined?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
renditioned is the word in vogue, sinner.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Make my soap lavender-scented, please. That's all I ask.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
no, but we will have them use a pink towel when they waterboard you, k?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, Calvin. Just wow.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Call it a vichy shower, and I won't complain.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I prefer L'Occitane's Milk soap. Mmmm mmmm mmm. Just add Rice Krispies!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yikes, touchme, I just figured out how you might be interpreting what I said. That's not what I meant at all.

(Soap is one of the few provisions that the "privileged" prisoners at Guantanamo get)

Even I have my boundaries!
Updated On: 12/7/07 at 11:41 AM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Guys, I think Huckabee is right. I'm going to give up this being gay foolishness and marry a woman. I'm actually thrilled at the idea of her being my property and that I can make our children our worker slaves.

That's still a part of marriage right?
Flippancy Profile PhotoFlippancy Profile Photo
Flippancy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Some of my family suffered under Huckabee's tenure as Governor of Arkansas...and all I can say is be afraid. Very afraid. While it seems that he has no chance of winning the presidency at this point, I wouldn't put it past the sheep of this country to get him elected.

The one that is a real piece of work is his wife, Janet. Talk about common trash.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Her name's Janet? Janet Huckabee? Sweet Christ, I can smell the WASP musk now!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, just slap on some BoyButter for me, thanks.

Huckabee is the worst of supposedly Christian America. He is a bigot and a hatemonger who uses the false cloak of religiosity to cloak a sadistic vengeful personality who allows murderers and rapists to murder and rape, as long as it fits his political agenda.
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Janet Huckabee and Betty Bowers are friends.

http://www.bettybowers.com/

(the No Sin Zone....LOVE IT!!!)
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I mean...it is a rather rum bunch, no?

Huckabee ready to quarantine us...Romney insisting freedom requires religion and all the revelations about Giuliani's affair with Nathan and how the taxpayers helped in building their third marriage (for each).

But Hillary has a cackle!!!! Edwards had an expensive haircut!!! Obama sounds like Osama and his middle name is Hussein!!!!

Really? How utterly sad.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
huckabee:  gay marriage should require some serious and significant debate

My heavens. Those eyes. That smile. She makes Laura look positively lucid.

eta: And her maiden name is McCain? Hmmmmmmm!

Updated On: 12/7/07 at 11:53 AM
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dollypop?
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, she has that wholesome face-like-a-scoop-of-vanilla-ice-cream thing goin' on that the truly hateful all seem to be rocking.
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I never underestimate the stupidity of the average American.
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend