Amy Winehouse nominated for six Grammy awards

Guido Contini Profile PhotoGuido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I disagree, wholeheartedly.
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I'd nominate Robbie Williams in the "Better than Amy Winehouse" category. "

He is cute , but no comparison to Amy.
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I'd nominate Robbie Williams in the "Better than Amy Winehouse" category. "

He is cute , but no comparison to Amy.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea, he's sober.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Reviews for Back to Black:

Entertainment Weekly: "It's precisely Winehouse's lyrics... that raise this expertly crafted set into the realm of true, of-the-minute originality."

The Guardian: "A 21st-century soul classic."

Billboard: "A guileless, brutal breakup album that can sit with the best of them, set to the sounds of music's finest early rock moments."

The New York Times: "A wonderfully time-twisted batch of songs."

Blender: "It sounds fantastic--partly because the production nails sample-ready '60s soul right down to the drum sound' and partly because Winehouse is one hell of an impressive singer."

And her album has been certified platinum in the US and 5 times platinum in the UK.

So, obviously, those who don't like her music are not the majority.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
harris007 Profile Photoharris007 Profile Photo
harris007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
diva

yeah,judy,liza, billy holiday, and joplin were ALWAYS sober on stage right ????

please
Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
dude, watch that video and tell me you wouldn't be outraged to sit there and listen to her mumble incoherently like that.

i'd be pissed...and if she has problems like that all the time, she's got bigger fish to fry.
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Yea, he's sober." ya.... and doesnt have anything special about his voice.
Updated On: 12/6/07 at 03:15 PM
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Even when Liza was messed up while performing, she still was watchable.

I don't see anything watchable about Amy and her nasty ass hair.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I like her voice. I don't always like what she does with it. And let's face it, she treats it like **** so she won't likely have it for long.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
WonderBoy Profile PhotoWonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
on a side note... when did feist become a NEW artist?
"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ahh...good question.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To respond on a side note to your side note, if I have to hear that damn "1,2,3,4" song again, someone is going to DIE.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's only her second solo album isn't it? I think she still counts, regardless of all that random band activity.
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rath, I love ya, but the same can be said for your girl Kelly C. :-P

Sure I hope she gets her **** together, but it doesn't detract from what I think was a great album. I also think her voice is kick-ass. She's this scrawny little Jewish chick who sings like a cross between a 300 lb. black woman and Ronnie Spector.
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think that her "hard life" has added more depth and soul to her voice if anything. Maby not when she is hammered on stage , but in general. I hope for her sake she does get cleaned up cause she is an amazing artist.
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"when did feist become a NEW artist?"

Exactly! Another grammy category that they like to f with. I remember Whitney not getting a New Artist nomination because she had done a track with the Winans the year before. So hypocritical.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Sure I hope she gets her **** together, but it doesn't detract from what I think was a great album. I also think her voice is kick-ass. She's this scrawny little Jewish chick who sings like a cross between a 300 lb. black woman and Ronnie Spector."

=-) nicely said!
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone know if Chrisette Michele has been nominated for anything?
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, they tend to f-ck around with elegibility in the "new artist" category.

soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
N/M. She has one.
baddadnpa Profile Photobaddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am curious as to the reasoning behind Liza's Grammy Legend award. Has she ever been a successful recording artist? I realize she has fans here, but I don't recall her being a significant recording artist. Movie actor - yes, concert/Broadway performer - yes. While she's released albums, were any of them important, save for the soundtracks to her films?
The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Frankly,
that's a great question.
baddadnpa Profile Photobaddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks Diva - I was actually expecting to get stoned for asking it.
The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was shocked to see that she's not had a non-soundtrack album sell over 100,000 copies. I think her claim to fame as a recording artist would be The Cabaret Soundtrack (With "Maybe This Time" and "Cabaret" serious record of the year possibilities), Liza with a Z Soundtrack and "New York New York" (Which won it's awards for Frank Sinatra).

I wouldn't call her a powerhouse recording artist, but when you see crap like Bette's Christmas album get nominated...Those "Traditional Pop vocal" categories are pretty damn thin.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.