Amy Winehouse nominated for six Grammy awards

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I haven't seen one yet either Mateo- they announce them and then post the list but every music critic int he country tries to down load it at once.

And Borstal, the Grammys are, and indeed have always been, lame, but this year sets a new, platinum standard for patheticism. (New word!)
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Corine Bailey Rae nomination is making me happy. I love Amy also.
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Say what you want about Amy Winehouse, but Back to Black is a great album.

Shouldn't a Grammy nomination be based on the music?
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
harris007 Profile Photoharris007 Profile Photo
harris007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
thanks my shamey
Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, shameless, it should. And that's exactly why Amy Winehouse shouldn't be nominated.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Say what you want about Amy Winehouse, but Back to Black is a great album.

Amen.

Geek, have you listened to Back To Black in it's entirety?
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
Updated On: 12/6/07 at 01:17 PM
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not at all, but that's probably because I couldn't tolerate what I heard of it to begin with.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Noone should be awarded for being a mess.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Some Grammy lowlights for those of you joining our show already in progress:

The Beatles lost "Record of the year" (Abby Road) to Blood Sweat & Tears.

The First Rap Grammy was presented to DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince. The first Heavy Metal Grammy was presented to Jethro Tull.

Christopher Cross Swept the Grammys in 1981 winning the "Big Four" Grammy Awards (Best Record, Song, Album, and New Artist).

Paul Simon won "Record of the Year" two years in a row- for the same record! Well, technically, Graceland (The Album) won first, then the next year, the Academy nominated Graceland (The Single) and voters promptly picked it again-despite it topping out at #81 on the charts. Did voters understand it wasn't the wildly popular album? Who knows.

No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 12/6/07 at 01:25 PM
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amy's nominated because of her talent, which is hard to see past all of the messiness. I'm not surprised by her nominations.

I am not surprised by Rhianna's nomination for record of the year, but song of the year? The writers award? Yeesh.

I think it's a riot that Rhianna, Winehouse and Carrie Underwood are nominated against each other for...twice! What a grouping.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What does that have to do with her music? What happened to messed up people make the best art? And anyone who hasn't sat down and listened to "Back To Black" can't really have a valid opinion on weather or not the album should be nominated.
harris007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i love this thread ,it's letting the bitter,, old, out of touch queens SHINE
Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Harris, you can't say that!

I love that this thread is letting the bitter, old, and out of touch queens shine.

There. I'm gay, I can get away with it. re: Amy Winehouse nominated for six Grammy awards
harris007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
thank you soapy
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Having heard the Mandy Moore version of "Umbrella", I don't find the nomination so odd.

I'm guessing Alicia Keys' album wasn't eligible this year? I can't stop singing "No One".

You guys should read Stephen King's most recent editorial in EW--he also hated this year's music.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I do like Herbie Hancock -- although I've yet to hear the Joni Mitchell album. He did a fab few numbers with Nancy Wilson at Carnegie Hall in June.
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jrb, I thought Keys' album was sort of disappointing as far as lyrics go, but I'm sure she'll have some nominations next year.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If "Back in Black" is so great why did they release those two awful awful awful singles from it?

And do I sound like an old, out of touch queen when I say that no album could be that great if it contains "Rehab"? How can people stand to listen to that song?
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dont like the fudging of the rules the Grammys seem to get away with, seemingly at their whim. People getting nominated, for example, for Best vocal performance for an album one year, one of the singles off that album the next year...they love repeat nominations.

who's up for Polka recording of the year? The Polka Nuts? Eddie Yankovitch and his Button Box Band?
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you, Joe. If I don't like the first few songs released from the album, why would I bother to torture myself and listen to the whole thing? Not very logical. But hey, I could be wrong, it could be a great album. Just with two sucky songs that they decided to release. Which, again, wouldn't be very logical.
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That doesn't make you an old out of touch queen, it does make you uninformed since you haven't listened to the CD. The CD is not extremely commercial. "Rehab" and "I'm No Good" have hooks that are catchy and can be remembered. Her other two singles "Back To Black" and "Tears Dry On Their Own" are really great songs and two of my favorites. But, neither of them were played all that often. So obviously her record company did something right by allowing those two to be her first lead off singles. Her better songs didn't get much attention.
Updated On: 12/6/07 at 01:56 PM
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"...it does make you uninformed since you haven't listened to the CD."

Or that you have no taste in music.

JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I assume you mean alter kaker, yiddish for old geezer? Don't use words you can't spell, whippersnapper or I'll come hit you with my cane!

Why are young people so touchy? Maybe it's because they listen to all this crummy music? What's wrong with Barry Manilow I say! You can do worse than some alttsaytish schmaltz sometimes.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I love Barry Manilow.
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can certainly appreciate Barry Manilow. Moreso than Amy Winehouse, in any case.